Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Official CA comment - Total War: The modding situation

Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Official CA comment - Total War: The modding situation

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Since nobody is paying you Taw, nobody can blame you that you didn't do something that would take some of your free time. "I prefer to drink a beer and watch bikini commercials than make a de-compiler" is a perfectly good excuse.

So, have some rep for the work you've done already.
    Obviously. I still feel a tiny bit of responsibility for getting that fixed,
    as I seem to be the only person in the community who could do that
    without too much effort. I don't think there are many others with
    (de)compiler writing experience out there.

Not enough responsibility to actually do that, just a tiny bit.

If CA released uncompiled lua files, all that responsibility would be gone
    with no effort.

Quote Originally Posted by taw View Post
    T.C. probably blames me for both not being done yet, but I'm not doing anything about them
    to give CA a chance to make a major contribution to the modding community, not out of
    laziness of course ;-)
    Well considering 50% of my last 6 months modding wouldn't have been possible since you started at these tools, I'll give you a break

Hopefully it will end better for us

TBH I can't see decompiled Lua's happening. Partially because Craig hasn't even acknowledged the question as of yet, and partially because IDT CA sit comfortably with the idea of releasing anything that was compiled (even though it was compiled for performance).
    Last edited by T.C.; July 27, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    Well considering 50% of my last 6 months modding wouldn't have been possible since you started at these tools, I'll give you a break

Hopefully it will end better for us

TBH I can't see decompiled Lua's happening. Partially because Craig hasn't even acknowledged the question as of yet, and partially because IDK CA sit comfortably with the idea of releasing anything that was compiled (even though it was compiled for performance).
    Not releasing stuff is a dangerous territory. I had to disassemble Shogun2.dll to get group formations info I needed. If I keep doing that, who knows what I'll find. DLC keys? They're better off just giving us luas and documentation. (hint to grumpy moderators - I'm obviously joking here)

I'd like CA to give us some answer. Yes, no, we'll think about it. At least we'll know where we stand.

Anyway, UI layout file format documentation should be much less problematic and at least as useful.

EDIT: In case CA panics reading this post, I only decompiled a function containing one huge switch statement converting numerical ids to unit class strings. Nothing dangerous.
    Last edited by taw; July 27, 2011 at 03:49 PM.

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

I'd like CA to give us some answer. Yes, no, we'll think about it. At least we'll know where we stand.
    Apparently not up to them though, it seems to be a publishers call about releasing content regardless if its a mod tool, unit card or a full game everything comes down to Sega.

Hence why im running around collecting download stats too pass onto the CA boys in the hope it will aid the 'decision process' at that level. From what they are saying is that they are also collecting as much info as possible to feed this process and the more the obviously the better.

Im getting the distinct impression from the CA lads that they want us to have more mod freedom as it is only going to make their games better= more exposure= fame= sales blah blah blah.

So i think the key here is to start affecting the process at the stage that involves sega and big corps. only listen to facts and figures.... so click the link on my sig read the thread and start flooding lads.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Sega, like CA is not an evil company bent on making people miserly and sad. They make games and want to make money for themselves and their investors, as they are oblidged to do. Yes, figures and profit are important to them, but company name and fame are also important (for the pragmatists, it brings more investors). Everyone takes pride on his/her job.

However, SEGA has more games than TW to worry about. TW games are a fraction of what they do and sell so talking to them about what a community of one game they make wants (moddability) would need more than just insults/prayers/praises to reach their ears.
    So I think we should work with CA, which indeed has SEGA's ear and has far better chances to be heard.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

and we still have the issue with the unit voices.

So far, the release was mostly information we already had. Granted, there's a new channel of communication, but most of the time the answers are either to confirm something is not enabled, and so useless, or that we'd need to compile things (such as the unit voices) to make them work if we edit the files... But they can't release the compiler they use, or didn't give us information so we could make our own.

So... I'm still waiting to see.. With some hope... But not that much

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

So I think we should work with CA, which indeed has SEGA's ear and has far better chances to be heard.
    ...this is exactly what i was saying and if you follow my links and stuff you can see the initiative i am trying to lift off to help the process.

Also this thread link HERE has an interesting comment from a really good modder and seeing how the lads at CA are toting their mod friendliness now, i would like a comment on that situation....

edit: post answered, kindly by Lusted
    Last edited by ♔DARTH LEGO♔; July 31, 2011 at 02:05 AM.

May i ask what this means in a lay man's term? I mean what is the concensus given by the modders here over these last 26 pages? I am sorry for my laziness not to read all the pages. thanks.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by 1.21 GW View Post
    May i ask what this means in a lay man's term? I mean what is the concensus given by the modders here over these last 26 pages? I am sorry for my laziness not to read all the pages. thanks.
    With these tables we can now see what all columns in the PFM are called and what they affect. However the rebuke is that we already worked out all the "important" columns already.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

I would say "many" of the important columns.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

arten800's Avatar Civis

Thanks CA

arten800's Avatar Civis

Thanks CA Third age total war

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

I have a question it is possible/permitted??to create your own new unit's???

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar and death View Post
    So long as they aren't units that are similar to those sold as DLC, creating your own is OK (looking at AUM). However it is rather difficult, compared to pre-warscape games.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

And what with impleting completely new models in game???

And what with impleting completely new models in game???
    I don't think that's possible.
    Aztecs invading France? The Pope himself charging into battle? Challenging AI that brings the pain? Check out the Expanded Americas mod.

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

Lethe check Shaolin mod in compilations and overhoults

Wundwolf's Avatar Tiro

About the Shaolin mod....
    Those units are made of parts from the campaign maps agents...

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

It is allowed to create every kind of new unit from main game content and its patches, as it was always with TW material.

You may not use DLC unit material for new units and publish it as mod content, "new unit" means here a new model/texture created from DLC material, incl. the unit icons/cards, if this unit appears additionally.
    Edit: I think it is allowed to change DLC units in whatever way, as long the unit appears only in-game, if the according DLC is purchased, and is just not an additional unit of DLC material.
    Last edited by DaVinci; August 19, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

June:

The Total War series has a long and venerable history of modding, courtesy of yourselves. We’ve talked for a long time about releasing tools for your use, and as you’re (keenly!) aware this still hasn’t happened yet. We know you’re frustrated at the situation, and take it from us, so are we.

July 18:

we can't release any tools.
    July 19:

We've already stated we won't be releasing tools
    -------------

Like anybody is really surprised so late in the day?

Couple of things to mention about that.

1) Obviously CA shouldn't go talking-up things they can't deliver on. Misleading invitations-to-treat are....misleading. When such product's are hitched to Steam (making returns near-impossible), the consumer seems especially vulnerable to sharp practice. Over the last 3 years CA have over-sold and under-delivered repeatedly.
    2) If CA's professed wish to support modding were true, they would have designed a platform that would enable it - rather than one that doesn't.

A wildgoose-chase for ...... 3 years? "No tools". And even less for S2..... ding dong.