Thread: Mods - abandoned, lost, old, dead links (download, images) etc

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Mods - abandoned, lost, old, dead links (download, images) etc

After I read a CTD thread I decided to try to help despite for not being familiar with the mod nor have I played the mod before.

So, I checked the Intructions for installing and running mod thread just to found out the fix for crashing during a loading screen is gone due for being uploaded as an attachment and most people know what happen in 2013/2014 I think it was when a lots of attachments, images simple vanish for good due to a system glitch.

How can we prevent that from happening in the future? And that is what this thread is all about.

I have a suggestion and that is not to use the attachment feature in posts, instead (ab)use TWC Download for uploading small archives usually mod fixes and such. Or upload larger archives (larger than 100 Mb) to well known hosting sites such as Mediafire and if it's images try to link pictures from a personal album or from other sites as much as possible.

Another suggestion is about keeping hosted mod forums that is either abandoned or the mod in question is dead due for dead links.

What is the point to keep these hosted mod forum open when no one can assist a member who wants to play the actual mod?

Personally, I see no reason to continue doing that the mod is dead and the modder or the mod team is gone/retired.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Default Re: Mods - abandoned, lost, old, dead links (download, images) etc

I don't like the idea of deletion, but I do support archiving or an otherwise official notice that the mod is unavailable and any support in getting the files back would be appreciated. What probably shouldn't happen is having mods that are unavailable listed right alongside 'living' ones.

No one site can be trusted forever. The only real internet security is a combination of mirrors and archive; if not something like archive.org, then members that can be contacted because they are known to have saved materials for such an occasion.

There is quite a lot that can be done, but at a glance it is a very busy process I'm afraid.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Esker View Post
    I don't like the idea of deletion, but I do support archiving or an otherwise official notice that the mod is unavailable and any support in getting the files back would be appreciated. What probably shouldn't happen is having mods that are unavailable listed right alongside 'living' ones.

No one site can be trusted forever. The only real internet security is a combination of mirrors and archive; if not something like archive.org, then members that can be contacted because they are known to have saved materials for such an occasion.

There is quite a lot that can be done, but at a glance it is a very busy process I'm afraid.
    If you thought I mean to delete abandoned hosted mod forums then you are mistaken, because I don't mean to delete dead mods and what I mean is to move abandoned hosted mod forums to TWC Cemetary and let these hosted mod forums to be accessible for anyone even for guests just to read.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

It appears that would require changing Cemetery permissions, a policy shift from what seems to be normal at the moment. Not that I'd have any problem with it, as I rather not lock down an area that represents some form of history. Come to think of it, that might make for a crowded area as well. I'd prefer having them in the relevant game sections, tucked away but not impossible to find.