Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Official CA comment - Total War: The modding situation

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Official CA comment - Total War: The modding situation

Well, with all this data all CA needs to do now is scrap the ETW/NTW/TWS2 map system and go with something simpler and we'll have all the mod tools we ever wanted in no time at all!

I mean seriously, (In its current state) I don't give two flaps what is happening on the campaign map anyways. All the cherry blossums, bamboo and waterfalls can go... a simple white texture over the map will suffice as a winter map, a tan texture for fall, greenery for spring and something suitable for summer is all they need to replace the complex weather patterns, time of day, etc. on the map now. So if they just dumbed it down and focused more to improve the battlefield maps and other aspects of the game (family tree, diplomacy, reinforcements, etc), for me that would be awesome.
    Last edited by Hazbones; June 30, 2011 at 06:15 PM.

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by empr guy View Post
    I gathered pretty much the same thing, people are apperantly singing from the roof tops because they got something, even though they don't know what it is, and it won't end up changing much.
    What we got contains some information we didn't have before. It is already obvious that we'll be able to mod a few minor things we couldn't mod before. We'll be able to cross-check our information and fix any mistakes we might have made. Quite possibly we might discover something major once we dig through it all. It will definitely improve relationship between CA and modders. The release is definitely useful, and big thanks to CraigTW for doing it.

At the same time, it happened very late, and while it would have been godsent a few years ago,
    we've spent countless days digging through ETW files and we've discovered most of what got
    released today already (and a lot that didn't get released). Unless it gets followed by other stashes
    of information, it will not revolutionize modding.

tl;dr Good stuff, not revolutionary, better late than never.

Beside these load of DB diles what could really boost the modding community is an open channel with devs at CA. What I really would like to read is something alone this line...

"hey guys, we understand many of you would like a different square, now Mr. Xyz will answer about how to get a shortcut for getting there"

or

"we realize that there are lots of crash/desyncs in MP, we can do little to improve steam or game reliability, but we can add a fast routine to save units status every minute. Now what stats do you think should be saved to this log file so that you can take back to that 90 minutes battle at Waterloo using the wonderful Desaix's scenario which crashed right when the old guard was starting to move ? "...

...these would be signs that CA believes ETW and NTW are not dying, but evolving.
    Last edited by LEGIO_Desaix; June 30, 2011 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks, glad to see CA back on the users side!

I just had a look at some of those files ..WWOOO!! .. this aint going to be as easy as text files! I vote the next engine goes back to using RTW style text files and scripts, which is then compiled into binaries.

R
    Last edited by Rorarii; June 30, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Quote Originally Posted by LEGIO_Desaix View Post
    Beside these load of DB diles what could really boost the modding community is an open channel with devs at CA. What I really would like to read is something alone this line...

"hey guys, we understand many of you would like a different square, now Mr. Xyz will answer about how to get a shortcut for getting there"

or

"we realize that there are lots of crash/desyncs in MP, we can do little to improve steam or game reliability, but we can add a fast routine to save units status every minute. Now what stats do you think should be saved to this log file so that you can take back to that 90 minutes battle at Waterloo using the wonderful Desaix's scenario which crashed right when the old guard was starting to move ? "...

...these would be signs that CA believes ETW and NTW are not dying, but evolving.

I'm pretty sure those crashes/desyncs are mainly caused by the large load NTW3's battles (they are pretty epic) put on the engine, and less to do with Steam/MP itself. I never heard any complaints about large amounts of desyncs from vanilla players.
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

good one

Stívarðr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

This is a truly momentous occasion and one that should be afforded the gravitas it deserves.

Kudos to CA for finally repairing the relationship between themselves and the humble Modder.

I only hope this refreshing approach and ethos should continue for many years yet...

beerin's Avatar Libertus

this will result in more sales for CA. Any release of info will help.

Wittman's Avatar Biarchus

Now they are releasing modding tools?empire was released in 2009,not many people play that game now.
    Please check your PM folder-Garb.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Maybe people could be a little less ungrateful.

O
    Guess that`s a dig at me. Grateful for what? for something that should have been available anyway? Or perhaps more precsiely, since we have no hope of ever seeing ETW fixed, be grateful that they actually deigned to release something that might help fix ETW?

Hell, i`m not a modder, I didn`t even care about Mod tools until Empire, but after seeing how bad Empire was, Mod tools was the only answer to my watsed money as I can`t sell it anyway.

We have nothing to be thankful for. We PAY them, they don`t pay us.

CA should be thanking us for having the patience of a Saint just for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Guess that`s a dig at me. Grateful for what? for something that should have been available anyway? Or perhaps more precsiely, since we have no hope of ever seeing ETW fixed, be grateful that they actually deigned to release something that might help fix ETW?

Hell, i`m not a modder, I didn`t even care about Mod tools until Empire, but after seeing how bad Empire was, Mod tools was the only answer to my watsed money as I can`t sell it anyway.

We have nothing to be thankful for. We PAY them, they don`t pay us.

CA should be thanking us for having the patience of a Saint just for this!
    Nobody forced you to buy ETW, this might be latter and not much useful but is something, CA don't even have to support modding they are doing it because they want and we should be grateful, is because of people like you that we don't receive more support from CA.

I'm said.

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Wittman's Avatar Biarchus

Expect shogun modding tools in 2015xDDDD
    Please check your PM folder-Garb.

Artifex

It is a very important step in the right direction but it remains to be seen how much those documents really will change. Hopefully this is the beginning of a period of increased communication between the developers and modders/fans though, which may lead to more future improvements or at least perhaps a sensible public relations policy for the company.

I think this is too little too late to remedy the loss of fans caused by ETW (looking at this thread for example) but it will surely improve their reputation...

EDIT: We should indeed be grateful for the modding tools that have been released, just as Ca should be grateful that we buy their products. Without the modding community, TW is just a series of games like any other, flawed, buggy and grossly historically inaccurate. I seriously doubt that the comments of users of TWC have caused CA to deliberately not release modding tools.
    Last edited by Maltacus; June 30, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

This, as Craig said, should be only the first steep my friends. IF we keep putting pressure eventually we could get something better.

As for the map editor, as I understand they employ something in conjunction with some third party software. If that's the case then they can release a what the can and specify which third party software we have to acquire ourselves to mod the map and tada, map moding, every one happy!
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by taw View Post
    A quick look tells me that 80%-90% of what got released was already figured out by the community (and I did a lot of this decoding) -
    it's mainly db tables.

One new thing I see is meaning of numbers in group formation format (for which we have decoder and encoder, but we didn't have full
    understanding of which number means what). That will be helpful.

If anyone else sees something major, shout out. Remember that I can update modding tools.
    Mercenaries!

Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    30% trivial. But, I know how to add more buildings to battle maps, make cities appear closer to the fort in sieges, change the skill level at which agents spawn at, edit campaign map L.O.S and Z.O.C etc. So there's quite a bit of useful stuff in there.

Last edited by alhoon; June 30, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Steforian's Avatar Semisalis

Excellent news!

Oh gawd yes!!!!!!! This made my day.
    A HUGE fan of the Stainless Steel mod for m2 kingdoms. Thank you to all the modders!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dakier View Post
    And so when everyone was getting bored of their last 3 releases and the views in Shogun, NTW and ETW was barely reaching 150 in total they have released details to us.
    ETW reaches more than 150 by itself. NTW is a bit empty.

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    So after reading the comments of taw and T.C., we basically have a load of xml files which will gain us more types of religions for in game and we can also now identify some further "Unknown" columns in the db files?? and thats it? so we are all wetting ourselves over a bunch of files that really is not going to make that much difference to the ETW & NTW games? please tell me that I am wrong!!

I really do hope that the pfm and esf mod creators will clear up what we are actually gaining here with these files as trying to read them in xml editor is a nightmare!!
    We can now change Zone of Control! Perhaps we could add mercenaries. Check TC's replies for how much could be changed.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

What a complete load of rubbish. A cheap distraction from the tools. We were already able to access these files within the packs with dbeditors.

A disgusting attempt to distract the modding community.

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

Quote Originally Posted by J.Philp View Post
    What a complete load of rubbish. A cheap distraction from the tools. We were already able to access these files within the packs with dbeditors.

A disgusting attempt to distract the modding community.
    Actually it helps a lot. We didn't know what half the DB entries did, now we do.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman