Thread: Halo 2

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Halo 2

Here's my review of Halo 2. Enjoy!

Plot:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The game takes place on Earth and On halo, along with High Charity. The covenant Attack Earth and Chief has to fight them off. He then gets on the In Amber Clad and follows Regret to Installation 05. He fights his way in and Kills Regret. Meanwhile, the Arbiter (shamed after Installation 4) is sent to kill a heretic. They find the Flood on the Gas Mine and cut the tethers (coincidentally a containment procedure) to lure out the Heretic Leader. After killing him Tartarus captures Spark from Halo CE and the Prophets learn the true nature of the HAlos, but are in Denial. They send the Arbiter to capture the Index. After deactivating the Sentinel wall he fights his way through the Flood on Installation 05 and secures the index, as well as capturing Captain Miranda Keyes and Sgt. Johnson. Tartarus reveals the plans the prophets have for the elites and kicks him off the edge of the Library. Chief (after being Glassed) and the arbiter wake up in the tentacles of the gravemind who then reveals the nature of the Halos to the Arbiter, and tells him and chief his plan to stop Halo. Arbiter is sent to secure the control Room, and Chief is sent to kill truth. Chief finds truth and mercy but Mercy is killed by the invading Flood on High Charity. Chief then proceeds to follow truth to the Forerunner Keyship, where he leaves cortana and stows away back to Earth. Arbiter makes an uneasy Alliance with Sgt. Johnson after fighting wave after wave of Flood and Brutes. There he kills Tartarus and stops the Countdown just before Halo fires. All of the Halos go on standby to be activated at the Ark.

Plot: 7/10 (Interesting, albeit not the same as the original)
    Campaign: 7/10 (Boring and repetitive)
    Multiplayer: 8/10 (Improved - also introduced Party system, etc.)
    Overall: 7/10 (Good game, but could be better)

Pros:
    -Arbiter missions were fun
    -Wider range of weaponry here, with the Battle Rifle and Beam Rifle, along with other weapons added
    -Homing Rocket Launcher
    -Great Multiplayer, especially for it's time
    -Spectre was a Beast and a great counter to the warthog

Cons:
    -Campaign is very repetitive
    -The game just stops, it doesn't really have an ending like Halo CE or 3.
    -The Gravemind is just the Flytrap from little Shop of Horrors, but with bad breath and tentacles.
    -The Snipers were a pain in the butt

Tell me what you think!
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; July 08, 2011 at 12:27 PM.

Default Re: Halo 2

Plot: 7/10 (Interesting, albeit not the same as the original)
    Campaign: 7/10 (Boring and repetitive)
    I think the Halo 2 campaign is better then the CE's one. Well,sure,it isn't the original Halo,but the story is very impressive,and explain very well the covenant view point.

The campaign isn't repetitive. It's in Halo style,so it is the same of Halo CE,with the only difference of a new graphic and more variety. Remember the mission "Truth and Reconciliation" of Halo CE? or the 5th mission: The landscapes are all the same for most of the level. In halo 2 there's more variety.

I agree with you in the other points.

If you are depressed, just stop being depressed.
    - Ace Rimmer | March 18th ,2014

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Honestly I agree about Halo 2's campaign being superior overall, but honestly some of the coolest missions are in CE. Truth and Reconciliation and the level where the Flood are assaulting T and E.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Assault on the Control Room, Truth and reconciliation, and the maw were the best. Also, I did like Halo 2's arbiter missions a lot. They should have made Floodgate in 3 an Arbiter mission. That would have been perfect because of all the Elites showing up.

Pros: -overall better story, although with some flaws
    -more weapons and more balanced gameplay
    -having elites as team mates instead of marines is fun, although on levendary you get only weak ''special ops''. Teaming with Ultras would have been hilarious.
    Cons: -no AR
    -the campaign feels ''short''
    -the last level as Master Chief ties Halo 3 ''Cortana'' as the worst in the entire series
    -insane snipers at legendary, this had to be fixed in Halo 3. It's either, you know before where each one of them spawn, or you won't make through it. Other fixes to legendary gameplay were also needed.
    -shortcuts: ''omg I finished the game on legendary within 4 hours I'm great!!!!'' that.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; July 05, 2011 at 02:24 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I agree with you there on those, although I like Halo CE's story better.

What I still don't get is how the heck 12 warships of the covenant took down 1000+ ships and 300 Orbital MAC Guns at earth, while on reach they took down the whole fleet (20 MACs and 150 ships, a carrier, and a supercarrier) and yet lost over 200+ ships of their own plus the covenant supercarrier.

Quote Originally Posted by ☧ Flavius Aëtius ☧ View Post

What I still don't get is how the heck 12 warships of the covenant took down 1000+ ships and 300 Orbital MAC Guns at earth, while on reach they took down the whole fleet (20 MACs and 150 ships, a carrier, and a supercarrier) and yet lost over 200+ ships of their own plus the covenant supercarrier.
    Regret's force took down only 3 MACs, the one you see in the gameplay. Everything else was done by Truth's force, which was much bigger.

It should be also mentioned, Halo 2 is the only game with ''boss fights'' (Heretic Leader, Regret, Tartarus). All of them present various problems, I'm glad they dropped the concept, although it was worth trying.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; July 05, 2011 at 03:45 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yeah, I agree. Also, from what I've heard the force intended to destroy earth was eliminatewd in First Strike, and then Truth's force was annihalated by the Elites in Halo 2. There were only 27 ships left that made it though the portal to the Ark, 3 of which were assault carriers. And considering 1 marathon class cruiser is capable of taking down 1 CCS-Battlecruiser, and 1 Orbital MAC Round can smash any Covenant Ship we have encountered so far, then why in god's name are there only about 30 frigates left by the level Floodgate?

I mean, Earth had like 200 marathons per 1000 ships, and judging by the number seen around the Cairo Station Cluster (72 I believe it was) there must have been about 2-3000

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

How...can...Halo 2...get...a 7...out of 10....HOW?!?!

WRONG WRONG WRONG 10/10

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Halo CE was better, Halo 2 was good, I liked Halo 3 Better than 2. 2 has a few too many problems for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Also, from what I've heard the force intended to destroy earth was eliminatewd in First Strike, and then Truth's force was annihalated by the Elites in Halo 2. There were only 27 ships left that made it though the portal to the Ark, 3 of which were assault carriers. And considering 1 marathon class cruiser is capable of taking down 1 CCS-Battlecruiser, and 1 Orbital MAC Round can smash any Covenant Ship we have encountered so far, then why in god's name are there only about 30 frigates left by the level Floodgate?

I mean, Earth had like 200 marathons per 1000 ships, and judging by the number seen around the Cairo Station Cluster (72 I believe it was) there must have been about 2-3000
    If you read the Novels, Covenant Battlecruisers are capable of taking out 10 of their UNSC equivalent in a fair fight,there's a reason why the Elites did much of the work in the Battle over the Ark.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

True, but A marathon Class can take up to 7 plasma rounds on it's hull armor and still be operational, and It has 2 MAC Cannons, which means one will take out shields and the second would take out the Ship itself.

I know from the battles with Preston Cole that most of his ships were Cruisers, but they were older versions and weren't as heavily equpped and armed as the ones of 2552. And a good captain like keyes could take out 3 ships with only one destroyer if you remember from Fall of Reach.

The Halcyon Class was the backbone of the fleet before the covenant because it only took one archer missile to destroy a UNSC Frigate or Destroyer. It took about 700 archers, a 30-megaton Nuke, and a Tri-shot Burst of the MAC to destroy a covenant Supercruiser, and this was from the Autumn - the best cruiser in the UNSC Fleet.

A marathon of the 2552 Era is capable, if only the Supercruiser over rach wasn't destroyed lol. It was the only one that was actually finished and capable of going toe-to-toe with the largest of the known covenant ships, until they learned what an energy projector was. That peeled half the Autumn's 2-meter Hull off. Before it landed for Repairs (Which is why it's on the ground in Halo Reach)

Also - Halo 2 Pro: The Spectre - I LOVED the Spectre.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Halo CE was better, Halo 2 was good, I liked Halo 3 Better than 2. 2 has a few too many problems for my tastes.
    2 > 3 > 1 > Reach

True, but A marathon Class can take up to 7 plasma rounds on it's hull armor and still be operational, and It has 2 MAC Cannons, which means one will take out shields and the second would take out the Ship itself.

I know from the battles with Preston Cole that most of his ships were Cruisers, but they were older versions and weren't as heavily equpped and armed as the ones of 2552. And a good captain like keyes could take out 3 ships with only one destroyer if you remember from Fall of Reach.

The Halcyon Class was the backbone of the fleet before the covenant because it only took one archer missile to destroy a UNSC Frigate or Destroyer. It took about 700 archers, a 30-megaton Nuke, and a Tri-shot Burst of the MAC to destroy a covenant Supercruiser, and this was from the Autumn - the best cruiser in the UNSC Fleet.

A marathon of the 2552 Era is capable, if only the Supercruiser over rach wasn't destroyed lol. It was the only one that was actually finished and capable of going toe-to-toe with the largest of the known covenant ships, until they learned what an energy projector was. That peeled half the Autumn's 2-meter Hull off. Before it landed for Repairs (Which is why it's on the ground in Halo Reach)

Also - Halo 2 Pro: The Spectre - I LOVED the Spectre.
    Yeah but even the smallest ships in the Covenent fleet have 3 to 7 Plasma turrets,and if one of those MAC rounds missed, the Covenent ship would have more then enough time to turn a Marathon into slag.

Keyes in a Specially modified Marathon under a particular set of circumstances should not be taken as normal conditions,even then it was an extremely close call.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Keyes used a Halcyon, which had a better internal Bracing structure. Halcyons were horrible against the covenant without a PoA style Refit. And even then the Pillar of Autumn was the only Halcyon that was ever refit. If the UNSC had refit their Halcyons they would have stood a chance against the covenant fleet - Keyes could beat the largest ships the covenant brought to bear with the Autumn (The supercruiser in particular)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Also - if you read "The Cole Protocol" and the Comic that came with Halo Wars about the Spirit of fire, most of the ships lost that cole Recorded were Frigates and Destroyers, not Cruisers.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

halo 2, the worst of halos

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Sebidiah's Avatar Miles

I personally preferred halo 2 from any other halo
    Sherbet Lemon

Quote Originally Posted by Hopit View Post
    halo 2, the worst of halos
    True dat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast