SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Default Crysis 2

Playing on PC with :

3.0GHz Dual Core CPU
    GT220
    2GB Ram
    Windows XP Sp 3

+ Xbox 360 Controller for the PC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Plot(without giving away spoilers) :

You start off as a soldier in the Marine Corps, Alcatraz, sent to New York, a city plagued by a strange disease that melts human tissue. Something bad happens and Prophet from the original game finds you and gives you his suit, the 2.0 version of the one that Nomad and Psycho used. You need to find Gould, a conspiracy developing wannabe professional scientist that will help you analyse better the alien tissue spread around New York city. Since no one knew that Prophet was replaced by Alcatraz, CELL operatives are still hunting you down. In short : You're fighting both aliens AND human soldiers at the same time.

Presentation(played on high graphic settings) :

The graphics are GORGEOUS. From the water dripping down your screen/helmet to explosions and gunfire whizzing past you, the game is simply one of the best looking games on the PC period. Sound can be slightly off, and gun sounds can be slightly better imo, but you won't really notice with the fast pace of the game. Music is quite good, but not awesome.
    The interface is quite nice as well, with the ammo count and suit energy and such being shown as if they're part of the helmet's interface. This can be slightly annoying for some players though, but it didn't really effect me.

Gameplay :

This is the biggest part of the game that didn't impress me. The suit is much weaker than in the first game. You press RB for cloak and LB for power(strength) mode and the up d-pad button for a "tactical vision binocular mode). That's it. The "Speed" mode of the first game is now just a sprint button, and Alcatraz actually is much slower than Nomad due to this. Weapon customisation is still present but there are much less features to it. No more flashlight, no more "collecting" customised parts. Just because you have a silencer for the SCARAB for example doesn't mean you can put a silencer on a SCAR. There is a new suit enhancement mode, which I didn't really like. You gain Alien nano-things, you can upgrade your suit with features such as predicted bullet paths, faster ledge grabbing etc. The suit also allows for tactical options via the tactical mode/binocular vision. The suit automatically says "Tactical options available" when you're in for a big gunfight, giving you options such as "Avoid", "Stealth", "Snipe", "Ledge Grab" etc to defeat or go past your enemies. It's a neat little option that gives you options going into battles. Apart from that, nothing is really new. You can grab ledges when you power-jump, giving you more free-roam possibilities, but it's not Assassins Creed like either.

Single player campaign :

My opinion, not much to say. Yes, some brand new features are there but it got boring after a while. I only got to half the game I suppose, but it's not really as gripping and intense as the first game was.
    People who finished the game might have different opinions of course.
    It's fine to say that whoever didn't play Crysis isn't loosing any plot piece if they play Crysis 2 immediately though. The story can be a bit overwhelming with "Who's who" and all that.

Multiplayer :

I've only played a little bit multi, and it's not that bad. It's a small scale(12 player I think) multiplayer with the features of Crysis that aren't really featured in other games(cloaking and such). There are unlockables as you rank up, and medals and awards. Hardcore Crysis fans love it, casual FPS gamers(like meself) might need a bit of learning to really experience it though

Verdict :

Here are my points -

Plot : 6/10 - Not really that emotional and addictive. Most of the time you'll be wondering who is who and what is what. Decent, but not great.

Presentation : 9/10 - I could almost say flawless, I've yet to see a more beautiful pc game in terms of graphics. Sound and Music are ok, but could be better.

Gameplay : 7.5/10 - Would have been better if they stuck with the options of Crysis 1. Suit features are neat and streamlined, some good new features, some useless ones, and some that could have been implemented.

SP campaign : 5/10 - Not what I expected. Lost interest after a couple of hours in. Not as interesting as the first game.

MP : 7/10 - Promising. Hard to get the hang of it but once you do, you'll love it. Lots of hackers though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FINAL VERDICT : 34.5/50 -> 7/10

Remember that this is only my opinion. Please share yours below
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Shneckie's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Crysis 2 - Better, or worse than the original?

I agree with you for the most part.

I prefer the nanosuit in Crysis 2 to the original however. In the original, It felt like the power and speed mode were just suit gimmicks while the cloak and armour modes were the defaults where you can just blast your way through the game in armour mode only. In Crysis 2, the suit seems more intuitive, tapping the shoulder buttons to change modes constantly during a fight actually feels like a necessity with the speed and power modes taking a more passive form. The suit actually felt like a weapon.

The main problems I had with Crysis 2 was with the watered down sandbox gameplay. For example the weapon attachments have restrictions (Scar and Grendel can't use suppressors, the LMG can't use a red dot sight, and wheres the slug shot for the shotgun? ). What irritated me even more was that the fire modes were an attachment.

The campaign was decent. I did feel however it wasn't as exciting as Crysis 1. I often found myself turning off the xbox after a few hours of Crysis 2 out of boredom whereas with Crysis 1 I was keen to know what happens next. I was VERY dissapointed with the climax. Characters and story I felt was inferior to Crysis 1. The only character I liked was Tara Strickland. She seemed very serious and believable, a lot like the characters in Crysis 1. The rest such as Gould and Lockhart felt too artificial, like they were taken straight out of a Roland Emmerich film.

Quote Originally Posted by Shneckie View Post
    I agree with you for the most part.

I prefer the nanosuit in Crysis 2 to the original however. In the original, It felt like the power and speed mode were just suit gimmicks while the cloak and armour modes were the defaults where you can just blast your way through the game in armour mode only. In Crysis 2, the suit seems more intuitive, tapping the shoulder buttons to change modes constantly during a fight actually feels like a necessity with the speed and power modes taking a more passive form. The suit actually felt like a weapon.

The main problems I had with Crysis 2 was with the watered down sandbox gameplay. For example the weapon attachments have restrictions (Scar and Grendel can't use suppressors, the LMG can't use a red dot sight, and wheres the slug shot for the shotgun? ). What irritated me even more was that the fire modes were an attachment.

The campaign was decent. I did feel however it wasn't as exciting as Crysis 1. I often found myself turning off the xbox after a few hours of Crysis 2 out of boredom whereas with Crysis 1 I was keen to know what happens next. I was VERY dissapointed with the climax. Characters and story I felt was inferior to Crysis 1. The only character I liked was Tara Strickland. She seemed very serious and believable, a lot like the characters in Crysis 1. The rest such as Gould and Lockhart felt too artificial, like they were taken straight out of a Roland Emmerich film.
    Pretty much my feelings exactly.
    Dunno about the suit though, each to their own I guess. Nanosuit 2.0 seems more streamlined and easy to use(like changing to armour mode at the push of one button), but Nanosuit 1.0 seemed for focused on the options kinda.

This seems par for the course. If a game is designed more for console, than for PC, its quality tends to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarna3 View Post
    This seems par for the course. If a game is designed more for console, than for PC, its quality tends to suffer.
    Crysis 2 for PC was better than for PS3 imo(I tried it out at a friend's house). Graphics are much better too.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I loved the original. almost completely open world. the alien parts were nice, don't let the haters tell you other wise.

c2 = corridors. I thought crytek was going to release a concrete jungle game when I first saw the screens. the 2nd game killed the series for me. I totally understand why they went the console route, I mean look at cod numbers, you will be crazy not to switch. but just don't expect me or gamers like me to buy future crysis games.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    I loved the original. almost completely open world. the alien parts were nice, don't let the haters tell you other wise.

c2 = corridors. I thought crytek was going to release a concrete jungle game when I first saw the screens. the 2nd game killed the series for me. I totally understand why they went the console route, I mean look at cod numbers, you will be crazy not to switch. but just don't expect me or gamers like me to buy future crysis games.
    Agreed, I'll play the game at a friend's house before considering another crysis

Yeah, but if sales get low enough on PC, they won't release PC versions of games anymore. That's not cool. Pretty soon, games will be just like movies. COD will have a new game every year or so -- same story, same Russian bad guys, same everything, just like summer "blockbusters". And the sales numbers won't even go down that much.

Roloc's Avatar Biarchus

At least it has an amazing OST

That's another thing I disliked about Crysis 2. They completely rehauled the Crysis soundtrack rather than grow upon the theme music of Crysis 1 which was both unique and epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Roloc View Post
    At least it has an amazing OST

Agreed, it's pretty awesome.

I am in love with the first one,the single player is stunning

Ahh the first Crysis...what a beauty
    Spoiler alert
    It gets better at the end

The first Crysis was indeed a very underrated game and Crysis 2 can't compete with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarna3 View Post
    Yeah, but if sales get low enough on PC, they won't release PC versions of games anymore. That's not cool. Pretty soon, games will be just like movies. COD will have a new game every year or so -- same story, same Russian bad guys, same everything, just like summer "blockbusters". And the sales numbers won't even go down that much.
    I am not worry about the pc is dying crap that most console owners are spewing about on the net. I got blizzard games to look forward to. and there are always a few games on pc that are non blizzard which are good every year. take dead space 2 and witcher 2 for example. I am still waiting for the new deus ex
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

I also like the original more, Crysis 2 is just way watered down. Everything in Crysis 1 has more graphical details as well, i mean just compare the HMMVEE type cars from both games and the difference is clear (and i just love the bullet damage to cars in Crysis 1) it is also possible to fly/drive things in Crysis 1 multiplayer (and in FPS mode as well as 3rd person view).
    Last edited by emperor77; April 23, 2011 at 01:12 AM.

I am not worry about the pc is dying crap that most console owners are spewing about on the net. I got blizzard games to look forward to. and there are always a few games on pc that are non blizzard which are good every year. take dead space 2 and witcher 2 for example. I am still waiting for the new deus ex

Yeah, maybe, but then those few non-Blizzard games dry up, and all you are left with is over rated, long overdue sequels to 90's games.

how do they dry up? I always find a few every year. over due? it is absolutely better than the yearly crap EA put the C&C series through. when I read bad reviews of sc2 single player, I was sure the reviewers had to be on crack or trolling. don't get where you get all this pc is dying from. how many games do you need a year? monthly? or weekly? I play alot of multiplayer games, they last years if I like them. only pc games got this kind of staying power. I been playing counter strike since the original beta for half life. I still play it for a bit once in a while. it has been 11+ years the power of multiplayer.
    fear is helluva drug

All the good games are PC only, most sequels to games that started out PC only and have gone to consoles have been disappointing.

(Btw anyone else think that nanosuit 1 looks cooler than nanosuit 2? http://neb.frikafrax.com/wp-content/uploads/game_crysis2_nanosuit_large.png)
    Last edited by emperor77; April 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM.

sdjenkyn's Avatar Campidoctor

Crysis 2 felt like it should have been FEAR 2. Still enjoyed as its a solid FPS. Did miss the sandbox a lot. What was the point of the supa jump\ ledge grab if the game wouldnt let you go anywhere with it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast