Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halo: Combat Evolved

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Halo: Combat Evolved

I haven't noticed any reviews of Halo in the forums besides Reach and Wars, so I decided I'll do a few. I'll start with Halo CE.

Warning: For those of you getting Anniverssary Edition and haven't played the original: do not read this.

Plot:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The game starts off with the Pillar of Autumn floating towards Halo. After engaging and destroying 4 CCS-class battlecruisers, and damaging the Truth and Reconciliation, the main Magnetic Accelerator Cannon is taken offline. Master Chief and the crew are forced to fight to escape pods or ride the ship down. After crash landing on Halo, chief rounds up survivors and they are taken to a Base mentioned by the book. Chief and a group of Marines then assault the downed covenant ship to rescue Captain Keyes and other marines on board. They then use an assault on the cartographer structure to get the location of the control room, so they can capture and secure it. After an assault on the control room (you get to use a tank ) they discover a horrible entity on Halo, and Cortana sends Chief to stop keyes at the supposed "weapons cache." Chief fights against weak covenant forces, and diswcovers what happened to Keyes and his team (Sgt. Johnson is the only one that survives). The Flood, a parasitic lifeform that takes control of the host's nervous system and then mutates it, breaks out and infection forms attack the Chief. Combat forms then proceed to enter the game, as chief fights his way out of the containment facility. The installation's monitor, 343 Guilty Spark then takes Chief to retrieve the index. Chief is then teleported to the Control room, where Cortana reveals to chief that Halo will more or less kill everything in the galaxy. Chief then takes out 3 generators, and goes to the Truth and Reconciliation to remove the Captains CNI chip, which will allow him to detonate the Thermonuclear Reactor of the Autumn. The plan is thwarted by Guilty Spark so they use explosives to detonate the reactor. Then the first of the Halo warthog runs take them out of the Autumn to a Longsword after their transport is shot down. They escape in the Starfighter and watch Halo explode. The end.

Campaign: 9/10 - Difficult, intricate, and fun to play.
    Multiplayer: 7/10 - Not as easy to use as later Multiplayers, but overall a great system, better than most others at the time.
    Storyline: 9/10 - Great storyline, although not exactly the most original. Very unique though.
    Overall: 9/10 - Great game and would reccomend it to anyone.

Tips:
    -Pistol will kill anything in 3 headshots, even on Legendary
    -Shotgun is best aginst Flood, and pistol is handy as well.
    -Assault Rifle is good against The covenant, so keep it hand for the first 5 levels.
    -The "Noob Combo" is quite handy in two betrayals, as a Charged Plasma Pistol will take out sentinels and shields, while a Pistol or shotgun blast to the chest will take out an elite or Flood.

Pros:
    -Flood are a Huge surprise and massive plot twist. Their appearance here is so freaking scary, especially if you don't watch the Pvt Jenkins cutscene. After this game they're just a nuisance.
    -Stroyline is intracate and surprising, with good plot elements.
    -The Pistol is so much fun. 3 shot kill on elites or Hunters on Legendary and on a spartan in Multiplayer.
    -The shotgun is actually a ranged weapon to some extent.
    -The Music is very enticing.
    -Grunts.

Cons:
    -No hijacking.
    -Energy Sword, Fuel Rod Gun, and Wraith all explode when "killed."
    -Not exactly the greatest selection of weapons.
    -No Sentinel Beam drops

Trivia:
    -The Flood actually does exist - well, kinda. There are fungi in the amazon rainforest that take over the nervous systems of various insects and then use them to spread the infection.

There you have it folks. Feel free to comment.
    Look out for my Halo 2, 3, and ODST reviews!!! (Expect a lot of negative comments for ODST. I hated that game.)
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; June 29, 2011 at 08:58 AM.

Default Re: Halo: Combat Evolved (Original)

Need more details. For example you didn't explain why you gave MP 7/10... i'd give it 10/10.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Oh, right. I will explain.

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

The hardest level in the whole Halo series is the Library on Legendary.

So basically the cons you have listed are that it isn't Halo 2?

Quote Originally Posted by ☧ Flavius Aėtius ☧ View Post
    Tips:
    -Pistol will kill anything in 3 headshots, even on Legendary
    In your dreams. The lowest rank of elites takes at least 6-7 shots on legendary. Higher ranks take so much time, that you'd just want to go for the noob combo.
    -Assault Rifle is good against The covenant, so keep it hand for the first 5 levels.
    Unless you are superb in hand to hand combat against elites, you'd rather drop it on legendary.
    Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    The hardest level in the whole Halo series is the Library on Legendary.
    There is only one part that could be described as ''hard'', and it's when you are trapped between the 2 doors with little room to fight the 2 waves of flood at the same time. The final part is moderately difficult, far from impossible though.
    Sniper alley in Halo 2 (unless you skip it, by finding your way to the rooftops) makes Outskirts harder. Not to mention Delta Halo.

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Yeah, true, I remember hours of frustration on those parts, even in co-op. Those Jackals are little bird like Carlos Hathcock's on legendary.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    In your dreams. The lowest rank of elites takes at least 6-7 shots on legendary. Higher ranks take so much time, that you'd just want to go for the noob combo.

Unless you are superb in hand to hand combat against elites, you'd rather drop it on legendary.

There is only one part that could be described as ''hard'', and it's when you are trapped between the 2 doors with little room to fight the 2 waves of flood at the same time. The final part is moderately difficult, far from impossible though.
    Sniper alley in Halo 2 (unless you skip it, by finding your way to the rooftops) makes Outskirts harder. Not to mention Delta Halo.
    Agreed on that, I cried on Halo 2 Legendary lol (not really, it just pissed me off). Also, yes the assault rifle sucks on legendary, everyone knows that. Shotgun and Pistol is great though. Noob combo works good but it depends really, Plasma pistols at least tracked good.

ODST reviews!!! (Expect a lot of negative comments for ODST. I hated that game.)
    I don't understand why do you hate this game so much. I think,it's funny to play. It is a Halo 3 DLC,nothing else. So what? Do we just start to hate all the DLCs?
    Last edited by Freelancer Tex; July 03, 2011 at 04:51 PM.

If you are depressed, just stop being depressed.
    - Ace Rimmer | March 18th ,2014

Jakethe_Snake15's Avatar Ordinarius

This was easily the best game in the series for me. The weapons actually felt...powerful. In Halo 2/3 you take whichever automatic weapon you have at hand and waste 2 clips on an elite and he barely even breaks a sweat. In CE, one shot from the freaking pistol will kill enemies.

The graphics (for it's time...compared to the other games for their time) were ...awesome. The other games in the series seemed kind of dated...especially when you consider that Chaos Theory on the Xbox was released just a little while after Halo 2 (and CT was easily, the best looking game on original Xbox) and Halo 3 and ODST and Reach have all been released during the era of Frostbite and UE3, etc.
    The story in CE was the only one I really cared about...

As is the case in a lot of series, the first was awesome and then the sequels kinda...were let downs.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spader/Alan Shore "Boston Legal"
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Well, Halo 3 had the best graphics overall for a few months, and reach is stilltop of the line in graphics. Anniverssarry CE will be better. Also, if you watch the new arby n the chief, during the tosers match Jon previews the Halo CE anniverssary album. The song is from two betrayals if you recognize it.

I wouldn't say Halo 3 had the best graphics on the 360, even for a few months, nor would I say the same of Reach. Considering that before H3 even came out there was Fight Night Round 3, which kind of set the bar graphics wise, and IMHO is far better looking than H3 in terms of Photorealism, color...etc, and there was Oblivion.... And now that theres Reach we have games like well...Fight Night Champion, Operation Flashpoint Red River, Crysis 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood, Mass Effect 2 (the Mass Effect series, in my opinion has always utilised the UE3 engine the best), etc. CE Remastered or whatever they're calling it, will look good...but I don't think it will look as good as the aforementioned titles.

Edit: I even forgot about the titles using the various iterations of Frostbite. Bad Company, Bad Company 2, and we're only a few months from Battlefield 3.
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Halo CE Anniverssary edition will have much better gfx. Did you know in Reach a pistol had about 5x as many polygons etc. as a Halo 3 Marine?

Ah, I see now...I misunderstood your earlier comment...
    Yeah, no doubt about it, they're going to try and make Anniversary/Remastered Edition the best looking one...as I stated earlier, in my opinion, it was the best of the series by a long shot, and it deserve...I just realised that since they're re-releasing it, we'll be getting classic Halo Deathmatch online again...!

Personally this was my favorite game in the series. It literally gone down hill from there on, 2 was ok, 3 wasnt really good but not bad, ODST was horrible but reach was good. I dont own an Xbox anymore and since bungie arent making Halo anymore ill probaly have no interest in the ones that will be made by microsoft.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

343 industries did a good job with CE anniverssary. My friend misha played the Beta.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarlord View Post
    Personally this was my favorite game in the series. It literally gone down hill from there on, 2 was ok, 3 wasnt really good but not bad, ODST was horrible but reach was good. I dont own an Xbox anymore and since bungie arent making Halo anymore ill probaly have no interest in the ones that will be made by microsoft.

Well, considering that the dev team that Microsoft is using to make the new Halo games (343 Industries) is mostly made up of members of the former Bungie Halo Dev Team...
    I think that the 343 developed games will be just as good as the recent Halo releases...
    Could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your point of view...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I don't think Halo 4 will be much better than 3 Reach, People are really done with the series.

I don't know...I think it will be better than the last 3 releases - 3, ODST, Reach... Considering ODST was just 3, but you were smaller and weaker than the Chief, Reach was different...but still, wasn't great.

I don't think Halo 4 will be much better than 3 Reach, People are really done with the series.
    Properly done, it can relaunch the series. The fact that there will be new enemies and new is good start.
    Not to mention that Halo's popularity is largely thanks to the multiplayer. Halo 3's campaign was worse than the other 2, yet it's the best game of the series, because of the amazing multiplayer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast