Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 40+ units per army and LME

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Default Re: 40+ units per army and LME

Wolves old chap,

I am using 40 unit armies - the AI seems very capable, even more so than with 20, especially with the NTW3 files thrown in. Just completed a battle which was a mammoth event. Very nice.

What I am finding though, is that the AI produces absolutely colossal forces - As the French, I have just been invaded by 3 full British stacks (that's 120 units). I assume therefore that the AI has no limits in terms funds and is simply pumping out these huge armies (certainly ahistoric for Britain)... The player, on the other hand, has limited funds, so the bigger armies are only about enabling larger groupings. The AI become irresistable due to pure numbers.

Any thoughts?

Is there a way to limit the number of units - so that we can have the bigger armies and battles but not hundreds upon hundreds of units and armies? I assume this can be done using the unit limit in apprpriate table, but does that limit apply to the AI or just the human player?
    Last edited by Pdguru; July 24, 2011 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Pdguru♔ View Post
    Wolves old chap,

I am using 40 unit armies - the AI seems very capable, even more so than with 20, especially with the NTW3 files thrown in. Just completed a battle which was a mammoth event. Very nice.

What I am finding though, is that the AI produces absolutely colossal forces - As the French, I have just been invaded by 3 full British stacks (that's 120 units). I assume therefore that the AI has no limits in terms funds and is simply pumping out these huge armies (certainly ahistoric for Britain)... The player, on the other hand, has limited funds, so the bigger armies are only about enabling larger groupings. The AI become irresistable due to pure numbers.

Any thoughts?

Is there a way to limit the number of units - so that we can have the bigger armies and battles but not hundreds upon hundreds of units and armies? I assume this can be done using the unit limit in apprpriate table, but does that limit apply to the AI or just the human player?
    Pdguru, I agree with you. I think that number of units should be more limited...Anyway Wolves' mod is very good and playing with 40 units is formidable!

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

Default Unit Sizes?

It appears that now the new unit enlarged size makes it not possible to play any unit size other than ultra. Mostly it is because now that any unit size other than Ultra has incorrect men per number of guns in the unit. The result is that you will have artillery units with three cannons and only two of them are maned. The other lone cannon simply go through the motions and animations with riderless horses and never fire etc.

Is it possible on some future release to give each artillery a number of men that will make it possible to play the game without these anomalies regardless of the default unit size you choose.

I love this mod and it has become my favorite and this is the only problem I see with it. I don't have the best PC; but it can play med or large easily. On ultra it bogs down to a crawl with all the units fighting.

Cheers!

Default Re: Unit Sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by WarnerVH View Post
    It appears that now the new unit enlarged size makes it not possible to play any unit size other than ultra. Mostly it is because now that any unit size other than Ultra has incorrect men per number of guns in the unit. The result is that you will have artillery units with three cannons and only two of them are maned. The other lone cannon simply go through the motions and animations with riderless horses and never fire etc.

Is it possible on some future release to give each artillery a number of men that will make it possible to play the game without these anomalies regardless of the default unit size you choose.

I love this mod and it has become my favorite and this is the only problem I see with it. I don't have the best PC; but it can play med or large easily. On ultra it bogs down to a crawl with all the units fighting.

Cheers!
    Go into your preference script and set the 'campaign_unit_multiplier (number here)' to around 0.75 or 0.80 to lower the huge unit size.
    Then go dl the packfilemanager for NTW, open it and direct it to LME 1.7.1, select the unit_stats_land table in it, then set the artillery guns and men numbers to fit the overall lower unit sizes.

As a simple guide, use the arty numbers in this (I think now outdated) mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...0#post10522750 by dling and opening it with packfilemanager also.
    Last edited by CrayonVonCaesar; November 10, 2011 at 05:00 AM.
    A Mod for Med2 Kingdoms:

THERA:REDUX

Click here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/thera-redux

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

Thanks! If I get the time in busy life I'd love try this. Just on a side note, why is this the case with this mod? Just a question on curiosity and not condemnation.

Thanks for the info!

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Try gamebooster, i can use Ultra unit sizes thanks to it http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

Been trying to get a balance between artillery and crew for a few days now. I seem to come to a problem that is bizarre. Regardless of which size I use besides ultra I get anomalies.

It seems to happen as follows...

Some units unaltered in the LME mod when played at other unit sizes besides ultra will have either empty guns with no crew or guns unmanned while other guns have a "full" complement of crew. If I simply change the size of the crew to larger number I would expect a gun with no men around it have some soldiers manning it. Instead I seem to get this randomness where either a gun that is already crewed will get even more soldiers to their gun or for some unknown reason an entirely new gun will be added in the battery where before the unit before my modification had one less gun.

No matter what I do I seem to get an unbalance of men to gun ratio. It is never "balanced". Which has lead me to come to a few conclusions about NTW. It appears that the Programmers who programmed NTW did not plan for artillery to have more than four guns. If I set a unit to have only four guns I am fine no matter what I do. Other than four I get problems.

If any body with some experience in this department please help. This mod started in an attempt to play this mod without the large unit sizes on ultra. On ultra I get too low a frame rate when my army and the enemy army is large. If I have to it might be easier to create a "mod" for myself that has the infantry and cavalry units halved so that you can play with the ultra settings; but with only half the size of units. So infantry would be around 100-180 depending on original LME size and cavalry 40-60 over original LME size.

Any help?

Cheers!
    Last edited by WarnerVH; November 20, 2011 at 12:48 AM.

Simply don`t use that much artillery! With my tactics 10 units of infantrary is way better than 10 art units

kenniston5's Avatar TAR local moderator

use pack file manager, and here is how you fix the problem(same as empire), it's always 6 men per cannon.
    3 cannons=18 men, 4 cannons=24 men,6 cannons=36 men.....so on.
    in my case i use 8 cannons=48 men,easy to fix to your liking, you can also adjust unit and calvary sizes better with pfm also

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

use pack file manager, and here is how you fix the problem(same as empire), it's always 6 men per cannon.
    3 cannons=18 men, 4 cannons=24 men,6 cannons=36 men.....so on.
    If that were the case there would be no need to adjust anything. LME is already modded to reflect this requirement. On ultra this works out. Any other conglomeration with LME there seems to be a problem. I wonder if Lutland would know or one of the modders here. Maybe there is a unfixable problem.

Thanks to you all for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by WarnerVH View Post
    If that were the case there would be no need to adjust anything. LME is already modded to reflect this requirement. On ultra this works out. Any other conglomeration with LME there seems to be a problem. I wonder if Lutland would know or one of the modders here. Maybe there is a unfixable problem.

Thanks to you all for the help.
    I modded the living hell of out my LME (I had a lot of ideas, LME gave me a great base to work from) and the artillery were one of these changes. Gun numbers and crew numbers works as described above by kenniston.

I found your post a bit hard to understand but the following should be of help:

1. Do you have any other mods installed along with LME? If so check to see if they have a unit_stats_land in them, then check to see if they have arty in that file. They may be overlapping/overwriting.

2. AS TO TROOP NUMBERS:
    To stop your preferences reseting, you have to go to (using XP) C:\Documents and Settings\(your name)\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon\scripts

In here you will find the preferences txt file, adjust the game to your preferences in here, not in game options.

To have it set to ultra scale, but using less than the full ultra numbers:
    Firstly:
    Set this line to 3 for ultra scale...
    gfx_unit_scale 3; # gfx_unit_scale <int>, Set unit scale. 0 - lowest, 3 - ultra #

Then:
    The following is the line to stop it using full ultra numbers...
    campaign_unit_multiplier 0.80; # campaign_unit_multiplier <float>, Set default unit multiplier for campaign #
    The number 0.80 is what I use, meaning 0.80% of the selected (ultra) size. change it what you'd like.

You can also make all your other changes here, unit, ship, sky, grass, effects etc quality as well as sound variations.

Then save and close, right click the file, select properties and set it to 'read only'.
    After this, do not use the in game options to change anything, use the preferences file.
    This will stop the game resetting your preferences and wrecking your careful balances of the arty by forcing full ultra/large etc on you
    Last edited by CrayonVonCaesar; November 20, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
    A Mod for Med2 Kingdoms:

THERA:REDUX

Click here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/thera-redux

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

Thank you. Sorry if I was a bit confusing. Trying to explain something I have little experience in. I have tried and it does appear to be as you stated about the artillery. Kenniston is correct as well as yourself. 6 soldiers per gun. As far as other mods I have the AUM for LME installed. Well I will take the advice I have received here and get to making my little personal submod for this game.

Thank you all for the wonderful and informative replies. Each person has been helpful!

I enjoy your mod but the AI seems to be spamming howitzers a lot and with them being so powerful. Having 3-5 of them per army is utterly ridiculous as they werent used as much as regular cannons which seem to be almost absent. My infantry gets devastated by the sheer amount of howitzer spewing their foul mixture of death.
    The only thing you cannot do with a bayonet is sit on it. Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord,1st Prime Minister of France, Prince of Benevento.

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

Evening all!

Still modding my arty mod here and I still have one problem.

When using the 6 men per artillery piece I get even numbers for all types of artillery except horse artillery. While each gun in all types of artillery place 4 men per gun, in horse artillery it supplies 6 men per artillery piece. Which means that on medium settings I'm missing an entire crew. I am assuming that if this is the case is should be 6 men per piece of artillery per horse gun? I'ma try this after the post; but feedback welcomed.

I will attempt to try to fix this as I go along; but was just wondering if there are any other suggestions to help out this problem, or is there something I am still doing wrong.

Also I haven't attempted to manually adjust the multiplayer in the preferences file as I am trying to make it an easy mod to implement in ModManager without having to mod preferences and write only for the file.

Thanks again for the feedback already and if anybody can give any other advice.

Cheers!
    Last edited by WarnerVH; February 22, 2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Forgot part of post.

Default using 40 units

hi,
    i'm trying all day to get the 40 units. it's working .... i guess. i clicked the wholves mod in the launcher and used the esf 1.4.5. to edit the savegame to change the numbers to 40.
    in the game i'm able to put 40 units in one army.

the problem: i do not see the unitcards of the additional units. why?
    i played the darthmod and it workes there! what do i have to do to see all 40 unitcards?

thx
    knox

Default Re: using 40 units

You need unit card mod made by Alb23. I attached it below

EDIT: Installation instructions are attached in it, read "readme"(or something like that)

hi,thx!!!
    every time i edit the userscript and start my save nothing changes!
    when i look up the userscript, the mod isn't there anymore even i saved the changes!!
    why?

knox

I share your frustration. After dozens of hours wasted trying to get the stupid NTW mods to work I am finally resolved to uninstall NTW and play other more reliable mods like Rome, MTW and Empire. All the claims about the NTW mods in this site fail to mention the nightmare it is to get anything to work the way it should. I've had enough...
    "Never forget that no military leader has ever become great without audacity."
    Von Clausewitz (1780-1831)

"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live."
    Marcus Aurelius (121-180 AD)

"It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell."
    Buddha (563-483 BC)

the problem i have is just that the userscripts doesen't save the damn entery!!
    i don't know why!?

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Knox85 View Post
    the problem i have is just that the userscripts doesen't save the damn entery!!
    i don't know why!?
    what do you mean??? like it resets each time??? and what part of the script???

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast