I too believe that we must not be hasty when coming to a conclusion on this, I think we must first discuss the Consul Poplicola's plans for the army reorganisation. As Atellus made plain to us, we can not hope to take on the Poenii with just one legion! Marcus pauses as if thinking something over...

Also, we must ask ourselves Senators, if we attacked the pirates, what we could possibly gain from the resulting certain war? What would our chances be of victory, even with Poplicola's revised military? We are at the moment in a trade relation with Carthage are we not, and to war against them may cost us dearly economically.

He holds up his hands to the Senate in an inquiring gesture...

But also, if the greek speaks the truth, what if Carthage is gearing for war, would you good men leave Roma unprepared? In my mind this area of the mare nostrum* is far to small for us and the Poenii, and I fear there will be an inevitable conflict! I wish it were not the case my friends, war is a terrible thing, but we must be awake and ready when the wolf finally arrives at our door...

(OOC: * I dont know what they called the mediterranian before the punic wars so i just used the empire word...)