Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Poplicola and Corvenus - 482AVC

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Consulate of Poplicola and Corvenus - 482AVC

Well, it seems the Consuls are in agreement, how about the rest of the house then?

Taedius Bubulcus enters, somewhat flustered, and starts reading the transcripts. Away from the Senate during serious debate, how unseemly. But there we are, he thinks, best pick up now...

He reads. Taxes, Boii, junior Consul... A proposed expansion of the Capuan Forum. Splendid. Just what we need... He stands.

I support the Quaestors proposal. For the record.

He sits again. Mines... Now, that is a tall investment...

The budget is passed by decree then, we have already gone far beyond the line for debating and it shall be put into effect. My Junior consul will bring the legions directly to the settlement from which the incursions are emanating.

I would like the body to note, his Imperium is tied to that settlement. He shall attack that settlement and only that. Anything more would violate the order as this is not an extended campaign. This is a show of force to the Boii that any raids that they sponsor into our territory will only force our hand and solidify our power, opposite to their goals. This should stop the raiding and secure Arretium from further harassment. After the success of the attack we will re-organize the legions into a Consular Army containing two Alae of the Socii, integrated over time as to assure their loyalty.

Are we in agreement? If so, then my fellow consul may begin his march. I just hope you don't get those men killed Corvenus. Defeat is one thing, slaughter is another.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

We will see then, after i have victored over the Boii.

Flavius left the Curia, quickly accompanied by two bodyguards. He took his horse and strode away to meet his newly-acquired troops.

Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Excellent, the bill would be put to effect.. He had not heard one protesting word about the mines either, which was even more excellent. High amounts usually scare off those scrooges. Those mines would make great money, and not just for the Republic.. He probably could get a proxy to invest some of his gold as private investor.. Xanthos could take care of that.

Then he rose, smiling towards the other senators.

'It pleases me that the bill has been passed, now we must wait what the next season shall bring upon us. Whether we stay at an all-out war or whether we can go and keep our problems within the borders. Let us hope our dear senator Lurco returns this year, he has been gone for an awful time already.'

He then sits down and silently mutters 'Corvenus, hopefully luck is on your side..'
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

The sound of sandals echoed around the halls in the silence that followed Corvenus’ exit. Lurco entered drinking in the looks of the Senators like fine falernian, some did not even recognise him. The heat of the East had tanned his face to the colour of old leather. He bore a crisp white toga and his hair was oiled and curled into ringlets. Lurco despised the slights of rudeness many Senators made by entering the hallowed halls of the Curia fresh from the dirt of the road or worse, the battlefield, unless it was the utmost urgency. There was little cruder or more unbecoming of a Roman. He had bathed at home and refreshed himself and his face shone with a youth that had not been there the previous year. It was if the man had turned back time itself. Sweeping into the centre of the room he moved directly to the Consuls chair to embrace the Senior Consul taking bold strides. Finally, he stood amongst the August body and raised both hands, he spun slowly on the spot taking in the moment, he brought peace to the Republic.

“Senators,” his voice boomed bouncing off the encompassing walls, “the war with Epeiros is concluded. Today we celebrate peace with Phyrrus.” He waited for his words to sink in and until the muttering had died down from the benches. “I have done what this noble body asked of me and brought peace to glorious Roma, we have proved ourselves as benevolent and merciful in the pursuit of peace as we have proved ourselves fearsome and terrible upon the battlefield. This could have been achieved without the victory that was delivered to us by Consul Poplicola but a term ago.” One arm dropped to his side leaving the other pointing in the direction of the Senior Consul. “My mission Senators, is complete.”

Scrolls were distributed to the benches, “Within these lay transcripts of my efforts within the East. Try as I might conscript fathers the people of the East are prudent negotiators, I could not wrench more than trade agreements from their fingers. I am sure you shall all agree however, that this is nothing to balk at, trade from the East will flood the ports of the peninsula and our coffers will fill with new coin to fund the excursion North.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The heat was unbearable, the sweat dripped from Lurco’s face as he sat awaiting entrance to the Epirote governor’s presence. It was customary for a dignitary to be forced to wait, a power play by his opposition. He mopped at his face with the cloth, he would soon hold the power.

Eventually the doors swung open and he was admitted into the presence of his opposition. The office of one man could be as much a battlefield as the widest plain or the most blood drenched city street. Lurco’s handpicked men stood behind him, freedmen that he trusted with his life. Two guards flanked the sides of Aikides of Epeiros.

“You have the authority to speak for the Kingdom of Epeiros?" Lurco enquired,

“I do Roman and you for Rome?” Came the reply.

“Whilst I am on these shores I am Rome,” Lurco locked eyes across the table and began the proceedings;

“The Senate and People of Rome have authorised me to offer terms of peace to you with the addition of trade agreements between our two peoples. However, your previous interactions with Rome have stigmatised you so to speak, Rome would require a sweetener to the deal, 500 Mnai and maps
    detailing your knowledge of the world.”

“Unacceptable Senator, you take me for a fool, would Rome offer peace if she felt that she could compare to the might of our Kingdom?”

“Rome does not seek hostile war nor the death and destruction that comes with it. She would prefer instead that trade could flourish and our people find common accord. An end to the fighting, but this must be a pleasing proposal to the Senate. 100 Mnai and the maps would be acceptable.”

“The trade agreements and peace, nothing more, Rome will not saunter onto our shores and take us for fools.”

“You must understand to the West lies Rome currently hostile towards you, with this agreement hostilities would cease. To the East lies Makedonia and as I am well aware you are still at war with that nation. You are caught between two great powers and the swords of our legions can be stayed if you see sense, the maps alone will suffice.”

“Epeiros too would see this war cease, but we see no reason to give you any strategic advantage. It goes against common sense Senator this you must realise. Let there be peace between our peoples and let our ships send many goods to Rome. You have proven yourself capable fighters, it is for you to see you prove yourself just as capable at peace.” The governor’s eyes had lit up, it was crucial that Rome did not look like the aggressor, Lurco had little choice he had manoeuvred as best he could.

“Very well, there shall be peace between Epeiros and Rome. Let this be a day of celebration, we shall finalise the trade agreements and I shall be on my way.” Lurco stood and approached Helenos Aiakides, he embraced him and peace was secured. For now at least.

Lurco mulled over the other meetings with Makedonian and Greek leaders. Each meeting had ended the same he had secured the trade rights but little else. Regardless, Rome would flourish and it would him to thank, the revenue from the agreements would fill Rome's coffers and would fund the war to the North that Lurco had heard of. As the hired merchant vessel sighted the Italian Peninsula Lurco smiled to himself. Home at last, he would dive straight back into politics with fire in his belly. Behind him stood an assortment of Greek teachers and scholars, he had taken great joy in debating with them and gaining a better knowledge of their culture. He would not be drawn into their ideals but variety made life much more enjoyable. Lurco's only dissapointment was that he had been unable to induce further conflict between the Eastern nations to keep them fractured and weak for Rome's eventual dominance. But still he had left his mark, he had come as a symbol of wealth and power to the East and no doubt it would think twice before taking hostile action against Rome. Perhaps he would return one day to watch the Hellenistic leaders bend the knee to him.

It was a pleasant thought.

“I apologise once more for the slow speed of my departure, I hope you appreciate my efforts in the following the rebellion at Arpi, the restoration was sluggish yet I felt the urgency of the situation so close to Rome overrode the threat of a broken Kingdom abroad. My view of the East if I may be so bold Senators is this, it is fractured, the separate factions war continuously and in my view it is this that allowed us to have peace. Epeiros feels its chances at crushing Makedonia are far greater were it not threatened by Roman might. This will allow us to gain a foothold there and influence events therein. I would suggest we establish a permanent diplomatic foothold close to all three factions. If I were to suggest the most likely faction to bow to our whims it would be the Koinon Hellanon. The Epirotes and Makedonians are currently at war, it will be the Koinon Hellanon that will hold power in the days to come, Makedon will surely fall and it will be for us to decide who the dominant power of the East is. I hope Senators that you heed my words.”

Lurco smirked and walked towards a bench, “Noble August body, we have peace and trade, my gift to you, brought on the back of our legions and the tongue of a humble Senator. This is all from me and my congratulations to all those who have secured office this term.” He motioned to a scribe and began to sift between the rolls detailing the events of the Curia awaiting any questions.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Jingo Eugene's Avatar Vicarius

Crispus looks at the Senator and asks,

"Just how much of the world was revealed to us through this information you have acquired? The lack of Mnai is quite surprising to say in the least, but perhaps the new knowledge of the world will be worth it."
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

A messenger arrived. He quickly walked where Lurco was standing, and began talking.

I bring a message from the Junior Consul.

He handed out copies of the letter to every senator. Copies ran out, but fortunately all the major senators got one and most of the minor ones too.

Senators! I have received news. The intelligence has reported of very strong Boii presence in Bononia and near it. In total they number 1,800 veteran warriors. My legions, two legions numbering 1400 veterans, most of them being poor Romans, who are effective in skirmishing but are not so good when in hand-to-hand combat. I took the liberty of recruiting two mercenary units of Heavy Peltasts, boosting my force with 300 veterans. I believe i can now take on the Boii, and you will hear from me. I just hope that all goes well, but i will leave it for the gods to decide.
    Sincerely Flavius Julius Corvenus.
    Last edited by dragoon47; July 05, 2011 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugen von Savoyen View Post
    Crispus looks at the Senator and asks,

"Just how much of the world was revealed to us through this information you have acquired? The lack of Mnai is quite surprising to say in the least, but perhaps the new knowledge of the world will be worth it."
    Lurco smiled sweetly, "I believe that you misunderstand me Senator, the Hellenistic people were welcoming to our requests for peace and trade. However, information that could be put to more strategic purposes was denied to me despite my best efforts. Hardly surprising, what do these people know of Roma? That we have mighty warriors that banished Pyrrhus from the Italian peninsula! If they offered information detailing their knowledge of the world they would look like fools ripe for the conquest, they see us as the ones who would bring about that conquest. Let us continue cordial relations with them and soon they will be more welcome to our advances.

As for the Mnai that will be received from these trade agreements I am near positive that there will be no "lack" so to speak, our coffers will fill swiftly and bear great fruit for our noble Republic."
    Last edited by Crozimodo; July 05, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Jingo Eugene's Avatar Vicarius

Crispus, slightly embarrassed, nodded. "I see Senator. Good to know we have established trade with all of the Hellenes. Hopefully this will allow us to reduce taxes on the people of the Italian peninsula."

Crispus looked at the letter and sighed, "I'd hate to know how much those mercenaries cost..."
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

I'd like to know on whose authority he recruits them! Who does he think he is recruiting mercenaries out of the public treasury,after he lectured me on the use of public funds? How DARE he spend that money on mercenaries with no loyalty to the state without first consulting this senate.

This is insolence at best,edging on treason. And I say it should not go unpunished, Corvenus should repay the debt from his own pocket!

I agree with you Caldius that the hiring of these men should be on the head of the Junior Consul alone, but that maybe we should see what comes out of the situation before we jump to any conclusions. A commander must be able to make decisions in the field, and whether this was a bad one or no, it remains to be seen. I say judgement should be passed when the man returns...

He may not have paid the mercenaries as of yet, I must see them as a precaution. I have sent some men of the garrison North to refill his ranks. That should avoid the keeping of these mercenaries and should he still need them, so be it, we can worry about payment later and the consequences of the campaign. Calm yourself Caldius, although I may not have needed mercenaries in my campaign I wished for them greatly.

However, unlike my campaign, we have the capital to sustain such a blow. I'm not stating whether it's the correct choice or not but it is something that we can very well stand nevertheless. Not all of us are cut out to be the sort of generals to use what we have and most are more cautious than I am. Lucius cracked a small smile. I suspect nothing less that total victory in the North in the coming weeks, regardless of his overestimation of enemy strength. You'd better, those are my men you're leading. Keep in mind senators, this is Corvenus' first foray into combat and it's about time he learned to make do.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus speaks

I am sure the Consul intends to repay the cost of these mercenaries in booty and looted wealth from the Boii, and, if that does not suffice, out of his own pocket. I would advise the Senate, however, that it did grant the noble Consul total Imperium over the region, which would include the temporary hiring of mercenaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Two triarii footmen, clad in the best armour, walked proudly in the Curia.

We bring you news of the campaign of the Junior Consul.

From the battle report of Flavius Julius Corvenus, Junior Consul.

I stood on my horse, overlooking the settlement. It had weak wooden walls, but they don't bother me, those towers filled with archers do. I hope too many don't fall for their arrows...

Flavius spotted something on the corner of his eye, yes, he saw something on the sky. An eagle, he said to himself. Suddenly he shouted loud, and began talking:

Romans! My men-at-arms, soldiers who soon are the renowned conquerors of Bononia! We have a strong army, strong omens on our side! The Eagle of Rome has shown us her favour, and we will use that favour to crush these Boii, these barbarians who have raided our borders since they came here, enslaved many of your relatives! Now is time for your revenge. ROMA VICTOR!

´Well, that wasn't much of a speech... will do for now.´

The battle began well. The Boii sallied just as we expected.

I quickly gave orders for my slingers to move in position, while my cavalry would hit the Boii hard from their flank and rear.

The enemy general had charged my equites in fury. I saw my chance, and maneuvered behind him.
    I spotted him and spurred my horse towards him. I happily thrusted my spear to his back, killing him instantly. The spear came out from his stomach. I pulled out my sword and cutted his head out from the neck, leaving his men shocked. I smiled a horrendous smile, and they all ran.

Meanwhile, our cavalry chased the enemy in the city and began cutting them down in dozens.

Finally, the victory was ours. The Boii are crushed from existence.

The people had gathered to hear me in the city square. I had prepared but one phrase:
    "For crimes against the Republic of Rome and it's citizens and allies, i hereby sentence you to enslavement."

Last edited by Maiar93; July 06, 2011 at 12:10 PM.

Lucius Smiled heavily. So, he disobeyed his own mandate and waited for them to come out for pure boredom's sake. What a sham, not to mention the soldiers that the senate did not approve to leave Rome, looks like I'll have to expose that small detail.

Our consul has disobeyed his mandate. He has levied Roman soldiers without even my permission from Rome itself. Given that we had no word of this it must have been done in secret, a secret group of recruiters stealing our fellow Roman taxpayers and shoving them into the fight. He has overstepped his authority and he must be punished.

I call that be pays for the entire campaign since he was so willing to pay for another secret cohort of Romans since he was too cowardly to face a foe that was two-thirds his size already and apparently needed more soldiers. He also failed his mission. He was to assault the settlement, not wait for the enemy to sally forth and fight him so he has also failed in his mandate. Did he also consult anyone on what to do with the settlement upon its capture? He has acted like a loose cannon. Arguing for war and soon-after begging for more men and then secretly recruiting them, he is dangerous senators.

Lucius waited for the final report on casualties before speaking again. No wonder he called for more cavalry at the rate he spends their lives, Romans who actually make this Republic money through taxes, he's gotten half of them killed in the battle. This also shows that he knows little of the ways of actual tactics as instead of leading his mean, he was out killing petty barbarian chieftains! Covering his sword and tunic with blood seems to be more important to him than victory.

He must be punished for this blatant disregard for his mission and the authority vested to him. He had a right to recruit mercenaries, possibly even Socii but Romans? By the gods senators are we going to let this go unpunished?!
    Lucius sat, giving the appearance of exhaustion but smiling inwardly,your fault Corvenus, that was a more foolish move than I expected.
    Last edited by dragoon47; July 06, 2011 at 07:20 PM.

Marcus sighs, he always had liked Corvenus, but had also known the man was ignorant as the newborn babe, 'too many mistakes my friend, too many to forgive in any case...'

It is clear to me also Senators, that this campaign by the Junior Consul, whilst victorius, was still partially illegal. It appears that Corvenus has thought himself more powerful than the Senate, a terrible crime.

But I must remind you Senators, that it may not have been all Corvenus' fault, he of course as we all know, was heading out on his first campaign, the man has not experienced war before, and therefore would have had to rely on his Senior Tribunes for guidance.

He looks around the chamber,

I believe it is these officers that should be investigated, and punished accordingly.

Now some of you may say I am being lenient because Corvenus is my friend, this is not the case. Even under guidance the man would have known the consequences of his actions, therefore not completely blameless.

Marcus pauses, looks to the heavens for some kind of divine intervention, when none comes he continues sadly, knowing what his motion would do to the man, the consequences grave indeed...

I believe as a punishment Junior Consul Corvenus should be stripped of all his wealth, the assets given to the families of the men who died for him, and the rest to the Senate as compensation.

Marcus sits again, deeply distressed by what he has said. Corvenus was his friend, and yet his duty had forced him into this path.
    'I hope you understand how much I have helped your cause here Flavius, it could have been the rock for you...'
    Last edited by Merula; July 06, 2011 at 04:18 AM.

Marcus sweared to himself, all those months had past, waiting for a word from the Consul and nothing had happened. The economy was on it's ass and money kept rolling in. A few coins here and there being spend on the military..

He rose, for the first time with a real unhappy face.

'Senators, these past few months we have done nothing. Nothing but waiting for a sign of life of our dear consul Corvenus. And now he has given us one, and it turns out to be a message bearing mixed feelings. But, let us focus on business. The money spend on troops will be calculated, for some reason several maniples where raised. I can't find any proposal or bill for this, nor any documents singed by any consuls. It seems our recruitment system is a big mess, chaos!'

He paused for a moment, rubbing his forehead with one hand.

'And for the economy part, it seems we are making large amounts of money but we are not investing a single penny. We now have enough money for the mines in Rhegion so I would propose to immediately start the construction of these. They will secure our financial needs. And I also propose we extend the forum in Rome, which will also further boost the trade in Rome. And ofcourse the happiness of the people. At this moment I have no numbers for this proposal, I first need to return to my domus so I can count up all the financial costs in peace. But before I do that I would ofcourse like to hear the opinions of my fellow senators.'

Again he took a small break from speaking, visibly thinking.

'And about the consul. Sure, he has made mistakes. We will deal with that later. Let us first rejoice for the fact that Bononia is now part of the Republic. The loot will bring much wealth to Rome!'

He then returned to his seat, awaiting responses.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Lucius stood. While the consul has done much to disprove the chamber's confidence in him, I cannot abide a cote to strip him of everything these 'poor' nobles hold dear in this world before hearing him admit his guilt when he arrives. You will grovel before my feet, I will ensure maximum dishonour upon your house before I let you walk away from this Corvenus.Therefore I will ask for an investigation into the matter until he arrives to explain this criminality. I have you right where I want you. Lucius sat again.
    Last edited by dragoon47; July 06, 2011 at 07:20 PM.

Aye,he should be tried formally for his actions so that we may make an example of him and his inability to complete the simplest task without slaughter. Not to mention the blatantly illegal manner in which he went about obtaining additional men without our permission!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast