Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Poplicola and Corvenus - 482AVC

Default Re: Consulate of Poplicola and Corvenus - 482AVC

Glory? I didn't know there was glory to be had treating with you and Sophus on matters of money Corvenus. You yourself already supported the motion I have passed out, it is you who are trying to steal this...'glory', if you can call it that, for yourself by setting forth a different bill than the one you are committed to. I hope you are not as indecisive in battle as you are in politics.

Also, I'm sure that a tribunal veto did more to upset your also so-called 'work'. Did we redefine the language while I was gone? The budget is not meant to be made by short-sightedness and politics. If you attempt to push forward your own bill for the legions you will find it quickly vetoed as well for your extravagant wastes of the money of the state and the livelihood of the bread market which the amount of soldiers you are suggesting will annihilate.

Forgive me though senators, for I thought this was the consulate of Poplicola and Corvenus, not Corvenus and Sophus, if you wish, I would kindly sit idly by and avoid exposing the worst kinds of political maneuvers made by relation and sophistry rather than ability and willingness to take responsibility for one's actions, which I have done. I have no doubt that the Roman people would see my decision to decrease the tax burden on Arpi as anything short of political suicide on the part of my career. I had hoped that we could avoid this but your stupidity knows no bounds...
    Last edited by dragoon47; June 30, 2011 at 11:32 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

And here he goes again, that snake..

Hmm. Then should we put both motions for vote? Which one gets more votes will be done, then?

He said looking at Poplicola, challenging him to take a step "COME AT ME BRO"

Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus perks up at the Consul's retort.

"And why, dear Consul, would the people see lowering taxes in peacetime as anything but common practice?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

The allies would see it fine. I do, however, doubt that the Roman people would want to see a settlement that just rebelled against the Republic rewarded with what they have asked for. They will think that it sets a precedent that rebellion will not be punished and is an acceptable way to serve their aims. That it would serve as a blow to our political hand and lastly, that they would have to pick up the bill, as I have not argued for or against the section concerning the raising of taxes here at home. Taxes that some senators here in this body believe to be unjust and unfair, that our allies should foot the entire bill of campaign, that the citizens of Taras and Rhegion be exterminated was the will of the people.

You have to remember Lepidus that you are no more the people than Caldius was. Their response will be quick and unpredictable in such matters that many can feel strongly about. Our soldiers come back from campaign only to find that the price for their items has gone down, the price of bread has increased from their absence and casualties in the war and now they have to pay new taxes to the state. They would have nothing left from campaign and I will take the blame for it and rightly so. I will admit I exaggerated a bit in my final retort but there will still be this law lingering over my reputation that I will have to deal with.

Corvenus will get nothing but he shall lose nothing either. Apparently neutrality is not enough for him. He's proved that he cares more for glory than in sensible law and action with his own words. I wouldn't be surprised if he even pushed for an incursion into the Po Valley and beyond by the end of the term with his own command. Lucius said jokingly.

Lucius turned to Corvenus. I don't see the point unless you're looking to further your career. Is the position of consul no longer good enough for the Julii? You damned nobles think you no longer need to earn your place in society, you must resort to underhanded political shrouds. Lucius' face turned slightly inward, as if he said something wrong, damn it...he then continued in the original manner. Why support my bill, unlawfully end the term instead of a consul and then put your own proposition in its place if you weren't supporting your own hypocrisy? You should have controlled your temper Lucius...

If it is the will of the Senate to push deep in the Boii territory, I will do it or die trying. Flavius turned to Lucius, smiling in a manner which seemed mocking.

And, nay. By the death of your co-consul you gained an opportunity to do something to gain your rank in this Senate, which i respect you for. It was no easy task relieving us of those rebellious romans and epeirotes. Yet, you lust for more glory and power, and you see the Boii as the vehicle that would carry you to your destination: more power. He bit his tongue, 'dont lose your calm' he said to himself

The mockingness in his voice melted away, and was replaced with pure malice.
    You speak of earning a place in the society. Have I not already done so? I have lived half of my life in poverty, working for other patrician families to regain my status, and my honour. I have regained it with blood and sweat, and you dare to accuse me of not earning my place in this hall, in this noble meeting place of the Senate?!He said, while gazing at Poplicola.

Last edited by Maiar93; July 01, 2011 at 01:56 AM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Rebellion!

Our Consul speaks so eloquently of rebellion that one might presume him to understand it! Pray tell, Consul, of the
    rebellion. From where I sit, this incident was little more than a riot caused by burdensome taxes and exacerbated by your...inscrutable decision to remove all garrison troops from the town. And yet, our reports indicate order is restored, that peace again rules the town. What needs punishment, then? I dare say if we punished the people for every demonstration they made we Senators would not be a long-lived lot! While we all respect your achievements in battle, noble Consul, I should think your judgement on this field in particular to be somewhat tainted.

Lepidus delivers his last line, the weight of his sarcasm rolling over the chamber. He sits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Read to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buw65x25ioY

At least he misinterpreted the insult, the 'virtues' of a selfish man may have saved me some awkward moments later, he knows nothing of true poverty.
    When have I supported war with the Boii? I clearly recall being against such action. They have not broken any treaties with us so I see no need to attack them. It is you and men of your ilk who plan to be an aggressor in an unjust war. A war the gods would never let us win under such conditions. You spread utterly baseless accusation about my intents for the North, sophistry with ill-intent at my expense to complete a personal vendetta in which you know not how to begin let alone carry through.You are allowing your past and your personal ambition cloud your vision, too worried about your own honor to care about the Republic's.

Lucius was then interrupted by senator Aurelius. I wasn't expecting you to turn so easily against your own people Lepidus, you must not realize the stakes of this debate...Lepidus, I believe you are confused. The punishment is not laid by me but by the Quaestor which Corvenus defends in the form of even more taxes. As to my 'inscrutable decision' was it not you that ordered both legions to depart? Legions, Lepidus...whole legions, there was nothing about leaving men behind to watch over a people that were perfectly happy before the new taxes were levied. If I had, I can assure you, I would not have snatched any sort of victory at Taras and we would still be at war. We did not even have the Mnai to spare to recruit mercenaries because of a bill that required roads to be built, leaving none for the campaign. I must ask, Lepidus, maybe it is you that no longer understands high-level command and the decisions that must be made. A nation no more than our legions can be strong everywhere at once.

Not only that, I now see that even you are now unable to take this debate seriously. You veto a bill and then not defend your actions? You make sarcastic comments at me for giving a different point of view on the bill rather than your own thoroughly ambiguous comment during the veto about irresponsible spending on the part of the courses while I debate about a bill far more expensive than the one I laid out? I will no longer accept these comments against my intent and knowledge or rather, I will ignore them in such situations if you will not veto a motion with far more spending without long-term goals.

I call for the lowering of taxes on Arpi to a more acceptable level, a level that will promote people to come to the settlement and buy estates. Once that has been done we can then call upon the people to fight for us and possibly raise the taxes in times of emergency since by then there would be people to tax. I also call for the building of a forum in Capua or additions to our own here. The former would strengthen our relations with our allies however and bring more Socii into our two Alae. Assuming, of course, my proposition goes through. I hope this is an acceptable compromise to our current issues Lepidus, if you will forgive my tone.
    Last edited by dragoon47; July 04, 2011 at 09:51 PM.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

*Spurius smiled as he saw the senators turn against yet another tribune*
    Money seems to be the limiting factor her dear senators. Now, what costs money consistently, never stopping in its consumption of senate funds? The army. Now, if we reduced the size of the army as soon as possible we could accomadate all your ideas for buildings, in and outside of Roma. After all, a forum never wants next months pay, and it certainly doesnt have a farm to tend to. It is for this reason that I say, do not recruit the Socii legion, and once the Roman legion has taken the Boii settlement, it be reduced to a core of well trained men, just the triarii perhaps? These men would be in constant service, dealing with rebellions and any foolish minor barbarian incursions. Then if we are required to go to war once more, we can levy a legion around these men once more, and be at full strength once again. What say you senators?

Of course, to take the Boii settlement, a Consul would have to lead. I say, send Corvenus to deal with those pathetic barbarians, and leave Poplicola here, to benifit Rome with his impeccable skills. No need to abandon us just yet dear Lucius.
    *The word 'impeccable' sounded slightly sarcastic, but it was hard to know for sure*

Flavius gazed at Spurius

You speak of decreasing our army. Maybe, in the future, if we feel the need to. What you have proposed is but one way, surely there are others.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Ah, I speak of reduction in the future, when Roma is in at peace with the world once more. I anticipate that should Lurco be successful that is a very likely possibility.

Marcus opened his eyes. Had he just slept? In the halls of the Curia? He looked at the parchment on his lap. But how? He was certain he had written large calculations on it. Now there was nothing, not a single spot of ink. He gestured at a scribe, who brought him the text version of the past discussions. He never participated in the storm of words but he was sure he had. Had it been a dream?

Maybe it had been a dream, but the ideas that had come from the dream where certainly of use. He immediately started writing down the things he had dreamed about. He then rose, as he had done many times before.

'As the Tribune has vetoed my proposal, I will come with a counter-proposal. That might fit his needs, or must I say, the people's needs.' The last sentence was spoken with a sarcastic undertone, as a subtle way to show his unhappiness over the vetoing.

'I show you my new bill, I have a feeling this one will satisfy all members of the Senate. Instead of building circus simplexes in both Arretium and Capua, we will now focus on just Capua. And now just with a mere circus simplex but with a whole new forum, this will not only increase the happiness but it will also increase the local trade and thus the local economy, which we need so hard. Another new thing in the proposal is a focus on the mines in Rhegion, as part of the bill it will be agreed that money shall be saved for the construction of a mining complex in Rhegion. The wealth from these mines will give the Republic a hefty amount of money, with this money any war can be financed.'

He snaps his fingers and scribes start spreading a few copies of the bill around, they didn't had enough time to make a copy for each senator.

The Financial Bill of Sophus Revised Version (482AVC)

• At Ariminum the tax rate shall be high.

• At Rome the tax rate shall be high.

• At Capua a new forum will be constructed.

• At Arpi the tax rate shall be high.

• At Tarentum we shall pacify the area and construct a administration in future.

• The Republic shall save money so that mines can be constructed at Rhegion.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Flavius felt confused, like he'd think of two things at the same time or if he'd speak of two languages at the same time. He tried to open his mouth, but couldn't.

Finally he opened his mouth, let out a sigh and started speaking.

I second this motion. Perhaps, after we have improved our economy we might find that our army needs improvements, too... He said in a tone which sounded mysterious yet familiar to every senator.

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Marcus stands,

I agree with your revised motion Sophus, I hope that it will be enough to satisfy our Tribune, I beleive we must move on from such matters as finance, he smiles at his friend Lepidus, silently willing him to let the bill pass...

Still you persist with your heavy taxes!

Mocking:

For what? To punish the Rebels! Why did they rebel? Because of our Taxes! Why the Taxes? To stop the Rebellion! What rebellion? The rebellion that will happen when we remove the Legions! Why are we moving the Legions? So I...We can conquer the Boii! Why are we conquering the Boii?

Serious again.

Ahh,that's the question isn't it?

Flavius looked to Caldius, almost sad:

The repetition of this same question, and answering to it, is becoming a minor annoyance to me. Would you have listened, Caldius, you would know that they have been raiding our borders since they established a foothold there.

Really? I have relatives up near the border and this is the first I've heard of it, in any-case in the unfortunate event that we would be forced into a war surely the precedent is that the Senior Consul takes command? Particularly since his combat experience far exceeds yours.

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Marcus hears Caldius and adds,
    Ah, I think maybe here is where there is some confusion, does your family live near the southern border Caldius? If so they would not have been harmed, it is mostly agricutural areas there I hear.

In the north of the border is where the Boii are raiding, where there are numerous temples and small villages, less agriculture but more infrastructure, so a more inviting target you see. My cousin Sextus lives in that area, and he has had to bar his door and hire men to protect his home because of their incessant raiding.

And I believe in the case of who would potentially take command of the legions it is up to the Senior Consul, but if he sees more pressing issues here, he may opt to send his Junior.

Flavius gave a quick gaze towards Scaeva, but then turned it to Poplicola.

Then i shall await your command, Senior Consul. My wish is that if i cannot be sent alone, we both should go.

You should go Corvenus, make sure you collect some men to replace the losses taken on your way up to the territory, I would also place the men under a single command but that's your choice in the end. Let's see just how well you do against the best mercenaries of the Celts young consul.

I will honour your decision Poplicola, i will be ready. So now, let us see how i fare... ready i have been for ages, but not given the chance.
    Last edited by Maiar93; July 04, 2011 at 01:32 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast