Thread: Adding New towns to a Region

Default Adding New towns to a Region

1. I am a long time reader, but am fairly new to posting information such as this
    2. Thank you to husserltw, taw, and uanime5 (as well as others for contributing)
    3. Thank you Creative Assembly for this great game CONCEPT- just give us some proper ing map tools
    4. This only works for towns, and involves so worm-hole like teleporting of units on the campaign map, though i feel it's worth it.
    5. BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!!! This has ruined my awsome DMUC scotland startpos about three times, so back up, in multiple places, after any major change and before any major change.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Before you begin: If you've never added a new building slot to a city, this is basically the same process, i'm bad at giving directions and this might demis14's tutorial might help.
    Step 1: Open ETW and begin a new campaign with the faction who owns the region you want to add a town to.
    Step 2. In the region capital, recruit (promote) a general.
    Step 3. Move your general to the spot where you want your new town to be (if you can't build one, choose a new spot).
    Step 4. Once you've built the fort, save your game as " New town coordinates" or something like that, it doesn't matter what.
    Step 5.Close ETW
    Step 6. Open startpos in esf editor.and go to Startpos/Campaign_Startpos/Campaign_env/ campaign_model/world/region_manager/Regions_array/region (scotland in my case)/ region_slot_manager/region_slot_array. Expand all region_slot_arrays and click on each region._slot. Stop when you see something like "towndundee" (something that starts with town) in the first line of the db table. Clone the region_slot_array that the entry is contained in (remember the name of the town you cloned) and make sure that the town you cloned in present at game start. A new green region_slot_array should appear. In this new region_slot_array, click on region_slot and make up a random 9-digit number that wont conflict with any others, while using more than one number. (i did 111222333), but the engine doesn't like things like 999999999.Write down the entry that was there before, then Enter your new number into the first line of the db table.Next, make a new town name (in second line) e.g "towndumfries". After you have done this, expand region_slot and click on Siegable_garrison_residence, and enter the same 9-digit number you made up. do not save startpos yet, wait until after the next step.
    Step. 7 hit file/open savegame and then in the window go to local disk/documents and settings/Username/ application data/ creative assembly/empire/ save_games/ and open the savegame you made at the beginning of the tutorial. In the savegame, go to Startpos/Campaign_Startpos/Campaign_env/ campaign_model/world/region_manager/Regions_array/region/ fort_array/fort_array/ fort in the first and second lines there are long numbers, copy these into the 4th and 5th lines of your new region_slot. Doing this will make your town appear where your fort did in your save game, eliminating then need for knowledge of coordinates.
    Step 8.
    go back to Startpos/Campaign_Startpos/Campaign_env/ campaign_model/world/region_manager/Regions_array/region (scotland in my case)/ region_slot_manager/region_slot_array/ region_slot/ building_manager if you want your building there at game start, expand building_manager and click in building. In the DB table, change the second line to the name of the type of building in your town e.g. church_school, college, coaching_house, etc. If you don't want it built in, then change 1st db entry in building_manager to false, and delete it's contained building.
    Step. 9 Now to add the new town to the ai entries.
    Note: For this step you must know your region capitals ai id. these can be found in demis14s tutorial, by the link at the top.

open to startpos/Campaign_Startpos/Campaign_env/ campaign_model/cai_interface/cai_world/ cai_world_building_slots/cai_world_building_slots the 1st db entry should be you your cities ai id +1/ once youve found the cai_world_building_slots your your looking for (2530 in my case) expand all the slots up and down five entries from you cities. under each of these there is a CAI_Building Slot, find the one that has a 1st entry identical to the one (building_slot id) that you wrote down earlier. This is the AI entry for the town that you cloned earlier. Once you find the matching id, clone the CAI_WORLD_BUILDING_SLOTS that it was contained in. Click the new green CAI_WORLD_BUILDING_SLOTS and change the first entry to a 4-digit random number above 4000 (so it doesn't conflict with any others). After this expand CAI_WORLD_BUILDING_SLOTS and click on CAI_Building_slot and change the 1st db entry to the 9-digit number you made up earlier. After this, save starpos.
    Step. 10 open up regions.esf, if you don't know where it is, you don't belong here.
    go to root/region_data/regions/your region/Settlement_and_slots/slot_descriptions once again, clone the entry for the same town you cloned in region_slots earlier on. In the New green slot_descriptions/
    rename the town in the first line the same as you did earlier.
    Step 11. Last ONE!!!!
    In DBE editor, open up campaign_map_town_and_ports and hit edit/add row and in the new green row on the bottom, type in town:Your region: your town name in the first column, the region you're town is in the second column, and the on-screen name of your town in the third. Enjoy!!

WARNING! you will not be able to directly select your town. For some reason, the selector for your town will be just above or around the town that you cloned in region_slots. Move your mouse around until you see the name of your town in the box. You're units cannot go directly from a town,city, or resource, to your new town. From anywhere in you're region,select an army on open ground and click on the name of your town (a bit hard to find, right by the town your cloned). You will instantly teleport to you're new town, even though you will be able to leave it normally. This may have unforeseen effects on the ai, but i haven't had time to test it's effect, as i created this method today in about 4 hours of experimentation. You must sacrifice realism for new towns and AWSOME worm hole effects.
    -Ulsterman

Default Re: Adding New towns to a Region

didn't know that the word scotland made flags in place of the flag, the word is scotland
    here's a video of the effect, though it's poor quality
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sym4f1yYVAE
    Last edited by Ulsterman; June 26, 2011 at 10:55 AM.

I like seeing more users involving with startpos editing. But I have to say that this tutorial has many problems. These have been described in details in my thread and Uanime5's as well. For the moment except city slots nothing else can be added on game's campaign.
    Last edited by husserlTW; June 26, 2011 at 01:22 PM.

Towns can be added and work perfectly, besides the wormhole issue. I have created four New towns in Scotland and they work with no problems. I'm on my Sixtieth turn in a campaign and no crashes or bugs or anything. All this really requires to work as a CA-made town is path finding, and if we figure that out, then I'll add a step. It works fine for all intensive purposes, and I, for one and not content with "nothing else can be added on game's campaign"

Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    I like seeing more users involving with startpos editing. But I have to say that this tutorial has many problems. These have been described in details in my thread and Uanime5's as well. For the moment except city slots nothing else can be added on game's campaign.
    post #702

maybe you can convince taw to update xml converter for startpos. I still believe that studying campaign_pathfinder in startpos, we will understand something more about pathfinding.

I have been testing extensively (in my campaign) and I (as scotland) was invaded by England. It appears the the AI only raids the original towns, but to me, this is a plus, because i don't have to worry about Teleporting English Armies and i don't plan on being invaded too often. No crashes or bugs, but i found a battle on an original town, and only the original town was rendered on the map.

AI will never know about the new towns existence because cai_campaign_manager entries are missing and the rest esf map files are not updated with new town (see PietroMicca post above). Moreover in the cloned records many binaries variables (they are not accessible by Esf Editors except 1.5 beta but there you cannot edit them) have left with the same values of the parent town (actually you have 2 towns with same values which is wrong). Now playing as the faction that has the new town will reduce the problems though I believe sooner or later either CTD, or exiting bug or corrupted save will happen. Things will be worst if that faction is handled by AI and not by human.

On the other hand I do not mean in any way to discourage you from startpos research so keep up searching!

Thanks for the support! I have also played 40 turns in as Prussia for that very same reason. All seemed stable, though I am a little worried that in the later game the towns may not upgrade (as the AI doesn't see them), but i think it's ok ofr know. When the 1.5 is out of beta stage i will take another look, and i can totally re-do all my towns (it took me about an hour and a half to add 2 towns, 4 resources, and then check to make sure each one was working.)

sorry for necroposting, but is there any news on this subject? I'm strongly considering to introduce some new towns, but I would like to be sure it won't cause CTD's or corrupted savegames in the long run.

Icon2 Re: Adding New towns to a Region

first i want to thank you for the hard and exceptional work but sorry it didn't work we need the x and y coordinates for the global map.esf i tried too many times but every time the game crashes from the start can u help me with it any new ideas