Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good movies about the sengoku jidai?

Icon5 Any good movies about the sengoku jidai?

So do you guys know any good movies about the Sengoku Jidai? thanks..

NSFW's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Any good movies about the sengoku jidai?

I enjoyed Kagemusha, haven't seen it since the original STW came out, but it's mostly where my soft spot for Takeda comes from.

Edit: BTW that link is to the Wiki article which contains spoilers about the film, open with caution.
    "Never argue with an idiot; They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Obake Date

... and "Ran" another Kurosawa's masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbbfDntoRRk

'Seven Samurai' is a must watch, it's not really about the Sengoku Jidai but it's around that time-frame I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_samurai

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

All those pale in comparison to...............

*here we go again. Sigh.*

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

"Heroes and Villains" Shogun (2008)

Drama-documentary about the Samurai general Tokugawa Ieyasu, a towering figure of Japanese history. He overthrew the governing dynasty of Japan and became the Shogun - the supreme military leader - of Japan.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183273/
    It is made by BBC, and of pretty decent quality. One hour long. Can view it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxAQXTNrnMA

Made me obsessed with Tokugawa clan.

Lol I just saw that episode yesterday too, again.
    Success is commemorated; Failure merely remembered.

"Heaven and Earth" is one of my personal favorites. Takeda Shingen vs Uesugi Kenshin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_...rth_(1990_film)

thanks a lot guys +rep to all of you. now the only problem is where to find those movies... )

Indefinitely Banned

What about the thirteen assains?

WelshDragon's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
    I enjoyed Kagemusha, haven't seen it since the original STW came out, but it's mostly where my soft spot for Takeda comes from.

Edit: BTW that link is to the Wiki article which contains spoilers about the film, open with caution.
    Just watched that last week, very good movie.

Heaven and Earth is great too. Cannot seem to find it anywhere on DVD though, would love to buy it!
    Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true. - Julius Ceasar

壬生義士伝 ('Mibu Gishi Den'); not 'sengoku jidai,' aimed at the end of the Edo period, but pretty cool none the less, and with a score of some of Japan's best actors. Loosely based around the lives and events of the 'Shinsengumi.'

I particularly like this one because the main character comes from around my area, and he uses a Tohoku accent.

天と地と ('Ten to Chi to'); has been mentioned. Good film, too.

Seven Samurai, Kagemusha, Ran are all brilliant films. Seven Samurai being among my all time favorite movies.

Heaven and Earth (Ten to Chi to) is specifically relevant to the Sengoku Jidai as it revolves around the conflict between Uesugi and Takeda. So, if you're looking for something to get you in the mood for Shogun 2, then this is one the one I'd recommend first.
    Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm happy to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever!

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDragon View Post
    Just watched that last week, very good movie.

Heaven and Earth is great too. Cannot seem to find it anywhere on DVD though, would love to buy it!
    I've posted the link below in another thread, but if you live in the states, this Ebay seller has a couple of copies left:

I bought a "like new" copy of this DVD from these people on US Ebay several months ago.

It's widescreen and appears to be a good transfer with English sub titles. Not Blu-ray of course, but still good. The disk and case I got looked brand new. However, I noticed that the back side of the disk had a purple tint, which usually means that it might have been produced by copy duplication rather than being pressed. Still it played fine, and looked good.

HEAVEN AND EARTH

This seller also seems to have a huge inventory of Japanese language Samurai movies with English sub-titles. Some are probably low budget stuff--kind of like the Japanese version of the old "B" westerns that Hollywood used to pump out.

However, I did see quite a few starring Toshiro Mifune, and while browsing, I came across a two disk set of a Japanese TV historical drama mini-series from 1992 about the life of Oda Nobunaga. It starred Ken Watanabe and claimed big battle scenes, so I ordered a copy. This is the same Ken Watanabe from the Last Samurai, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Inception--among others.

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; June 26, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Last Samurai , i know not sengoku jidai, but still good.

♫♥ ƬƦƛƝƇЄ ƑƠƦЄƔЄƦ ♥♫

Everyone hit the right points above, well except basara and last samurai(in some cases, would of preferred a frenchman/german donning armor not a American lol)

I would also suggest "Twilight samurai" it's early Meiji/boshin war but it's a fine film. Though I'd stay don't bother with any JApanese films unless they include the following:

-Hiroyuki Sanada
    -Ken Watanbe
    -Sonny Chiba
    -Ano tanaka

Japanese martial art/action films are....just bad with few exceptions....Kurosawa was the golden age of Japanese martial art/action film. Nowadays you have the anime inspired garbage, bazookas and motorcycles are completely uncool, machine gun tonfa trotting ninjas(while cool in a way) is plain stupid.

Then when they think things are getting better someone has to throw in the make up wearing feminine killer samurai villain.

But yes I think the movies to see are
    -Ran
    -Seven Samurai
    -Heaven and Earth
    -Kagemusha
    -Heroes and Villains(I really hate the fact they speak english but it's BBC.....Cortez didn't speak castellan so it's fair I suppose)
    -Twilight Samurai

Though personally I love alot of the TV show ones, though those would be hard to come by and have no english subs so I won't mention them

Quote Originally Posted by pharoh View Post
    What about the thirteen assains?
    It's not set in Sengoku Jidai era, but 19th century. Around 1844.

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

I am surprised that no one mentioned the ...

Shogun!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080274/

Quote Originally Posted by RTK2Lional View Post

Shogun!

Maybe cos it is a pants adaptation of the novel, which I love although Toshiro Mifune as "Toronaga" ie Tokugawa Iesu is great.Richard Chamberlain as Blackthorne.... ugh.
    Anyway read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by RTK2Lional View Post

Shogun!

Yes, good movie. Great book.

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast