Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Mod Overview (last update: Nov 29th, 2013)

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum II General Overview (Unofficial)

Yes, religion will not be replaced with culture, but probably something like 'government-type'. Not much has been said about this, though.

Have they already said something about this? I thought I read something about city-state vs. nomadic "religion" or something similar somewhere, but I can't recall where.
    Having a quick look around I found this statement about "four socio-political types" in the announcement of the Gaza Campaign:

"In this tutorial you will be introduced to some of the new game mechanics that will form part of EBII. You will be introduced to how the authority buildings work, and how they affect public order. You will find out what happens to infrastructure buildings when you conquer new settlements, and how to proceed once control has passed to you. You will also be introduced to the first of the four socio-political types, the city-state type, and how city-state factions spread their influence and culture into a province through the use of military or trade colonies."

Quote Originally Posted by Horatius Flaccus View Post
    Yes, religion will not be replaced with culture, but probably something like 'government-type'. Not much has been said about this, though.
    That's good to know, so the "Culture System" section in the "... Gameplay Features" is false!? What would be a more accurate description, are there no 7 cultures?

PS: I will correct that section until further infomation released.
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; June 30, 2011 at 06:27 PM.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

No indian faction? I can undestand the desire to not have an unplayable faction, but surely there is a need for indian models to occupy and defend those edge regions? What's our impression of the team's view on this? I've searched and found nothing.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

There will be indian unit recruitable as AoR I think.

Indo greeks? anyone?
    Are they Indian with greek culture?

Quote Originally Posted by eddy_purpus View Post
    Indo greeks? anyone?
    I dunno, I heard Bactira once.

Campidoctor

Culture System
    EBII will be using the culture system of the Kingdoms expansion and not the Religion system. The seven cultures are: Barbarian, Roman, Western Greek, Eastern Greek, Semitic, Eastern and Nomadic/Steppe.
    Not correct, the cultures are what controls thing like UI's, family member portraits, what strat models are used for settlements and so on.

We are using the religion system but repurposing it for something different. The relgion system from M2TW and the culture system from Kingdoms are the same mechanic btw, just with different names.

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    No indian faction? I can undestand the desire to not have an unplayable faction, but surely there is a need for indian models to occupy and defend those edge regions? What's our impression of the team's view on this? I've searched and found nothing.
    Nope, no indian faction (at least not the Maurya Empire). A team member stated why in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Xoxoman View Post
    There will be indian unit recruitable as AoR I think.
    I'm very sure there will be. There were a few in EB.

Quote Originally Posted by eddy_purpus View Post
    Indo greeks? anyone?
    The Baktrians are a Indo-Greek or Graeco-Bactrian faction that will be in EBII. If that was your question? (Here a link to a wiki article on ancient Bactria -- I've not read it and can't say anything about it's quality though)

EDIT: Here's the Baktria-campaing description from EB(RTW) in the "campaign_descriptions.txt", it has some info about them:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    {IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_BRUTII_TITLE}Baktria
    {IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_BRUTII_DESCR}DIFFICULTY: Challenging\nExperienced RTW players will find this campaign a good introduction to EB. Baktria has a difficult starting position but grows much more capable as the game proceeds.\n\nREMEMBER TO START THE EB CAMPAIGN SCRIPT (listen to the advisor)!\n\nToday you are a satrap, but tomorrow a king. While we still bow our necks to the son of Seleukos Nikator who resides in far away Seleukeia, we will not do so for long. The Seleukid Empire is beset on its western border by the Ptolemaioi and it's attention is there. The eastern provinces of the vast empire is neglected and the barbarian horsemen from the north are attacking it's eastern satrapies and killing lawful Greeks and natives alike. Are we just going to sit idly by, while the lands that Alexandros and our grandfathers conquered decades ago are overrun by the foul Dahae or other barbarians? No. If the King of 'Arche' Seleukeia is going to let his eastern lands be overrun we will not answer to him no more. And if you break free and defend the eastern Greeks from the northern savages, the coins minted with your head on, might have the word 'Soter' or Saviour written on them.\n\n
    The forces of the kingdom of Baktria are an exciting mixture of Hellenic and Iranian (and if you choose to expand there, Indian), and you will not lead them to glory on the field of battle without utilizing the best of both worlds. Mainland Hellenes straight from Thessaly and Athens served with Hellenized Iranians and locals throughout Baktria's realms. Hellenistic phalangites and Iranian spearmen will make up the core of your infantry. From the lightest armed local levies in Hellenic and indigenous panoplies to the successor state phalangites, you will have many different types of infantry from which to choose. Any Baktrian king will strive to quickly recruit a royal foot unit suitable for this kingdom and will find that the mobile and elite Baktrian hypaspists, whose equipment and style is a curious mix of a Hellenic unit adapting to the terrain, climate, and fighting styles of Transoxiana, will turn the tide of many battles. You will have to rely heavily on your countless varieties of cavalry, including regional javelin and bow mounted units of varying abilities, Median and Baktrian medium cavalry, as well as Hellenistic and uniquely Baktrian cataphract cavalry. The cavalry are supplemented by Indian elephants, which Baktria supplied in large numbers to the Seleukid empire before its independence. A variety of skirmishers are also available, including well armored and elite units as well as the Baktrian Doryphoroi, whose spears and bows make them one of the most intriguing units available anywhere.\n\n
    Baktria is constantly harassed by nomads from the north, and the Seleukids will not let Baktria go without a fight. The relationship with Pahlava is stormy and you will need to choose your path with them carefully; good relations can help to stave off the decaying Seleucid influence in the region, but even then they are a threat that Baktria will have to deal with if they are to move west. The Hindu Kush provide a monumental barrier to the southeast, but any enterprising king must lead his forces across the top of the world to make India his own, and the Bactrians are better poised to do this than any other faction. With India at your back and the barbaric nomads to the north contained, the dream of Alexandros' Brotherhood of Man can become a reality that sweeps across the eastern world!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    Not correct, the cultures are what controls thing like UI's, family member portraits, what strat models are used for settlements and so on.

We are using the religion system but repurposing it for something different. The relgion system from M2TW and the culture system from Kingdoms are the same mechanic btw, just with different names.
    Thx, for clearing that up. Hope the entire on "Culture and Religion System" is now correct (or at least not false).
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; July 03, 2011 at 10:14 AM.

mayotte's Avatar Civis

Very good work dude !!!!!

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

every time I see this thread I'm inclined to believe part II of "Generals" was released!

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    every time I see this thread I'm inclined to believe part II of "Generals" was released!
    Psst!... not so loud, the team might hear you and do that preview next. I was hoping for a preview with lots of information on traits & ancillaries or some other game mechanics (or maybe even a yet undisclosed faction?!!).

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Nice job guys I cant wait for it to be released! Do you guys know when we can expect this mod to be released?

Quote Originally Posted by slydessertfox View Post
    Nice job guys I cant wait for it to be released! Do you guys know when we can expect this mod to be released?
    Maybe in the second half of 2012 was stated somewhere by a team member iirc, certainly not this year though. The Gaza Campaing mini-campaign/mod will be released sometime before the Grand Campaign, but when... nobody knows.

There's actually a section conerning the release date in the OP (= original/first post) in this thread! (*clears his throat audibly*)

ok thanks Casual Tactician

bugmg's Avatar Foederatus

Grand Post! I like the effort put into this by the team and the users as well, the communication here couldn't be better!
    What do our opponents mean when they apply to us the label "Liberal?" If by "Liberal" they mean, as they want people to believe, someone who is soft in his policies abroad, who is against local government, and who is unconcerned with the taxpayer's dollar, then the record of this party and its members demonstrate that we are not that kind of "Liberal." But if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal."
    -John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    Also Holding Out for a Galatia in EB II.

The warfare in the classical period were always more interesting due to the different techniques, tactics and battle formations of each civilization. I can not wait to play this mod!

medievaldude's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Falange View Post
    The warfare in the classical period were always more interesting due to the different techniques, tactics and battle formations of each civilization. I can not wait to play this mod!
    Good for you

Ductus Exemplo
    Fas est et ab hoste doceri !
    He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious.
    Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley.

Yeah... very good for me! Infantry rulez!

But I was speaking only of the battlefield. The context of the world, in the medieval age is much more chaotic, politically speaking, and more crazy! (good for me too)