Thread: How do you play Waterloo? (strategy discussion)

Miles

Default How do you play Waterloo? (strategy discussion)

Dear Forum,
    The purpose of this thread is to tell us your strategy as attackers or defenders. I though it would be interesting to hear everybody's strategies.
    Looking Forward to hearing what you guys have to say. (:

panzer 4's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: How do you play Waterloo? (strategy discussion)

select all units, press the "F" key, and double click Napoleon bonaparte or Arthur wellesly. Guaranteed to work
    The US will gladly step up to become the world police when there is oil involved, yet they will resign the second there is a genocide in Africa, a slaughter in an allied nation, or a massacre committed by dictators, all who's nations have nothing to offer, but the gratitude of the people to the international community for reaching out.

I've played so far a 1vs1 with french on the "Where is Blucher?" scenario and a 3french vs 2 with brit.
    As brit what I learnt is to pay the greatest attention to save as much as possible the allied cavalry. Once lost...game over and prussians will not come to help in time. 30' delay for Blucher seems more correct now that I've played the battle, because the wood they're hidden into slows down prussian approach.

Well, as the french, I keep feeding reinforcements into ill-planned attack on Hougoumont. If that fails, I launch all of my reserves into an attack straight at the Allied defenses. Not sure why it hasn't worked yet...
    "In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." -Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Quote Originally Posted by LEGIO_Desaix View Post
    I've played so far a 1vs1 with french on the "Where is Blucher?" scenario and a 3french vs 2 with brit.
    As brit what I learnt is to pay the greatest attention to save as much as possible the allied cavalry. Once lost...game over and prussians will not come to help in time. 30' delay for Blucher seems more correct now that I've played the battle, because the wood they're hidden into slows down prussian approach.
    So do Single Player battles work better with this new v1 of NTW III?

Sorry, who cares about single battle? Do you really think CA AI is a challenge?

Personally I like using a loaded flank when I'm the french with the cav guarding the flanks. I've had mixed results but usually if I attack a fortified area I use it, I tried a coup de main once but it didn't turn out very well.

Though mainly it goes as follows:

-Stack up units on right flank, cav and elites guard the left, elite demonstrate on the left as right flank advances up
    -Hopefully there is a break through and I can proceed to roll up the line
    -Brace for counterattack using reserves

It tends to give my consistent results, though I've yet to try my hand at the defenders

ElementUK's Avatar Miles

The only success I've had as France, was by keeping all Inf and Cav back from hvy combat on the left and middle until I had taken the farmhouse on the right and rushed some Cav Inf to the right side hill. Once you get some forces on top then the Allied forces are forced to face that flank attack. Once they start reacting to that you can mpve other forces to support and go for the gaps made by re-inforcing Allies. Hougemount was a waste of effort for the French and got them bogged down. Don't even wasted Cannon fire on it.

But like Desaix said above, playing a real person and they will react very differently.
    "Nuke the Site from orbit - Only way to be sure"!