Thread: Creating 3D text in GIMP

Domesticus
    Artifex

Icon2 Creating 3D text in GIMP

Note: this tutorial is quite image heavy, but the images aren't in spoilers to make viewing faster! If this causes problems, tell me and I'll add the spoilers there.

In this step-by-step tutorial we'll create a 3D text, with a nice texture and all that stuff, in GIMP.

Step 1
    Create a new image - make the size about 800 x 250. Make sure the background is transparent (see the advanced options while in the create a new image window).

Step 2
    Select the text tool and type in whatever you want. I use the words "3D effect" here.
    Adjust the size and all the other specifications of the letters as you wish.

Step 3
    Create a new layer. Then right-click the text layer and left-click "Text to selection". Now reactivate the upper layer draw borders to the letters by clicking "Edit > Stroke selection" (adjust the border width to 2,0).
    Run the Gaussian Blur filter by clicking "Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur". Set the blur radius to 3,0.

Step 4
    I recommend to colourize the 3D effect text to white via "Colors > Colorize", because the borders of the letters are, at this stage, of the same colour as the letters themselves. This is just to separate them properly.

Step 5
    Now select alpha on the text layer again and select the Blend Tool. I used a gradient called "Golden". Fill the selection with the gradient in this way:

Now the result should be something like this:

Step 6
    Duplicate the text layer by right-clicking the layer and selecting "Duplicate layer". Turn the new layer invisible for now. I usually make backups of the most important layers just because something may go wrong. This step isn't actually needed in a tutorial but well, here it is.

Step 7
    Select the original text layer and select "Filters > Map > Bump Map". Make sure to select the right layer in the Bump Map tab! Also set the X and Y offset correctly:

Make the newly added effect smoother by blurring it with Gaussian blur, radius being set to 1,0.
    This is about what your text should look like:

Step 8
    Now search a good texture (stone, wood, wall, actually anything) and copy-paste it to the image on its own layer.
    I used this one (well it's the only stone texture I've saved on my PC so that's why - I don't fancy searching a new one for a tutorial):

Step 9
    Select the text layer once again and run the Bump Map filter. Set the depth of the bumpmap to 1-2. Also put X and Y offset back to 0. Make sure to select your texture layer in the Bump Map window.

Step 10
    Select alpha on the text layer (again by using the "Alpha to selection" feature) and click "Filters > Light and Shadow > Drop Shadow":

Step 11
    Select the Crop Tool and crop unnecessary parts of the picture away (press Enter to crop):

Step 12
    You can still recolour the letters if you want:

Now here's the final result:

This was it all basically - you can make changes to the steps and do different things when you grow in skill, to create something your very own.

If you notice any faults or factual errors please report them.

Thank you for viewing!
    ~Goofy
    Last edited by Goofy; June 25, 2011 at 03:19 AM.

Kameraden's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Creating 3D text in GIMP

nice one. +rep to you.

Nice, but you coould also download the Bevel&Emboss plugin

cedric37's Avatar Why Not ?!
    Patrician Citizen

Nice tut, goofy
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader

Finch's Avatar is Deadpool
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    lol had the same idea since that's practical way to do it nowadays but still a nice tut Good job!

Domesticus
    Artifex

nice one. +rep to you.
    Thank you.
    Actually I've almost totally forgotten that plugins even exist - I haven't downloaded a single one except the .dds one. I guess I should start searching and then using them.
    Nice tut, goofy
    Thank you for your time and effort, cedric - as always you know.
    lol had the same idea since that's practical way to do it nowadays but still a nice tut Good job!
    Thank you again, mister.

So, thanks for commenting everyone (and I hope these won't be the last pieces of feedback).
    ~Goofy

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Fantastic.
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Hey thanks, it works. +rep

What's the type of letter you used?

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Domesticus
    Artifex

Fantastic.
    Sorry for the late response - thanks.
    Hey thanks, it works. +rep

What's the type of letter you used?
    Nice to see you like it.

Well, the font is called Erin Go Bragh - here's a Google search result: Erin Go Bragh font
    It is a quite nice one, aye?

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

Very useful tut