Thread: Cradles of Civilization-

Jingo Eugene's Avatar Vicarius

Default Cradles of Civilization-

5,000 BC

The sun is rising over the horizon for man. Man has been slowly developing from roaming hunter-gatherers into a complex people. Cities, stationary homes, have been growing and civilizations emerging. In river valleys and other fertile regions, mankind is developing nations, religion, ideas of a ruler over the rest of the people, weapons and war.

This is the beginning, the events that take place here will dictate just how history's course goes. Whether man descends back into anarchy and nomadism, or whether majestic and grand empires flourish. The course of history is dictated by you.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(Better map at the bottom thumbnails)

As you can see, there is a variety of green regions to choose from. From the Congo, to the Mississippi to the island of Kyushu. The possibilities are endless. Many civilizations have developed in their respective areas, and I encourage you to take them. But there have not been many civilizations in the Congo, or in south-Central America. So you will be given the option to make your own civilization. Here is the sign-up form, whether you are using a historical nation or a made-up one.

Player:
    Civilization Name:
    Map: (Edit in one green area for your starting region)
    Religion: (You can make one up or use an existing one, but please make sure that they are realistic.)
    Gods: (Please be polytheistic unless you are the Jews. They were almost exclusively Monotheistic.)
    Leader:
    Royal Family: (Only applicable if you are a monarchy, which you would be in most cases.)

And I know not all civilizations developed at the same time, but it'd suck to have to wait for your favorite civ to be able to develop to play. (Sumer'd be the only player for a long time.) So we will just have them all develop at once.

City-States, Kingdoms and Empires

1-3 Regions: City-State, the earliest stage of a civilization. Unable to recruit conquered units or engage in very complex diplomacy (no alliances, you have the ability to declare war and make peace. You immediately trade with all your neighbors.) You can unite with other city-states temporarily to fight off a bigger threat.

4-8 Regions: Kingdom, Now you are growing! Now you can choose who to trade with, you can recruit units from a conquered region and call for alliances, and ask other nations to join you in wars. Marriages between states now have a larger effect on diplomacy and will almost always mean alliance.

8+ Regions: Empire, you are a mighty empire that stretches for a great expanse, you are now able to call for trade embargoes on a rival, breaking of alliances, you are also able to create vassals and protectorate states. Rebellions on the fringes of your empire are much more common however...

Units- You can name your own armies in this IH, as well as replace some units with others. Example-

Replace Heavy Infantry with Chariots.

Every nation will have this base army-

Armies

Light Infantry
    Archers/Slingers (interchangeable)
    Light Cavalry
    Light Spearmen
    Skirmishers

However, the following units are able to be put in, but you can have one of the following.
    Optional units

Heavy Infantry
    Chariots
    Heavy Cavalry
    Heavy Spearmen
    Chariot Archers

Mercenary Units

Mercenary Infantry (Medium infantry)
    Mercenary Spearmen
    Mercenary Slingers/Archers
    Mercenary Skirmishers
    Raiders

Now, some mercenaries you can recruit are rather... Unique. From berserkers to jesters to warrior women.

Unique Mercenary Units
    Berserkers- These people have been enchanted by some witch to possess inhuman strength and rage. Outcasted from society, they can take wounds that would be fatal to a normal man and not even notice them.

Firebreathers- Some people have managed to adapt some... “Unique” qualities. These people seem to breathe fire! Does not do much damage, but is devastating to an enemy's morale.

Riders- These men are cloacked in either black cloth or fur skins, they are normally outcasted cavalry men. Their light as a feather armor makes them extremely maneuverable, a quality in hit-and-run combat. But the lightness makes them weak in prolonged combat. Excellent harassers.

Hellhounds- If a man with a spell can become a monster, imagine what an already ferocious, conscience-less wolf would act like under such a spell. These monsters are enchanted with the same spell as berserkers. And only certain people can control them. When unleashed upon enemies, they can do immense damage.

Pirates (Recruit-able only on coastal regions)- These men are sailors, unable to rejoin any nation's navy, they patrol the seas and raid merchants. On land, if paid enough, they can unleash such brutality on the enemy. Especially low discipline and morale.

Bandits- Nothing special, just men caught and promised clearance of all charges for military service. Low morale, low discipline, low armor but high numbers.

Warrior Women- It isn't in all cultures that men do all of the fighting. In some, women are equal to or even above men in terms of fighting. These have a devastating effect on an enemy's morale, considering they probably consider women as anything but warriors.

Governments is a feature added to keep different people happy, but may reduce or expand your power. Should you be a democracy or a Republic, conquered lands are likely to be more accepting when they are involved. However, a monarchy enslaving them will not have such support.

Governments
    Governments-

Hereditary Monarchy- A monarchy where one family rules for a number of generations. Total control, no need for senate or people's consent.

Pure Democracy- The people rule! Before decisions are made, the people vote in a public council. Not total control, needs people's consent.

Republic- The people elect senators and governors to make the big decisions for them. Senators change regularly, needs senate's consent before making big decisions. (War, alliances, etc.)

Federation- A number of City-States banded together for protection. Kings have control over small, domestic affairs but must agree on big matters. Not total control, need other King's consent.

Changing Governments- If you want to change a government from one thing to another (ie- Republic to Hereditary Monarchy) you will need to...
    Gather a designated “Revolutionary army”, the people didn't rise up like they did during the French Revolution, normally single generals seized control of the government and country, and changed it. Like Julius Caesar.You will then have to conquer the capital of the nation, should you win, there will be regions that “submitted” and regions that “resisted”. Submitting regions will rejoin the new government, while resisting regions will attempt to reinstate the old status quo. These will need reconquering. Changing governments is a costly thing, be sure you are ready for it. Should any resisting region resist for 5 days, a new independent state will form. Normally it will have the old government's leaders or their sons. They will begin at war with you and be a new country in all ways, but will be perpetually at war with you until it is subjugated.

Battles

Basically, battles will go down like so. I will first put up the numbers and units of both belligerents, as well as their goals. The defender will be the first to set up their positions and defenses, and the attacker will be second. But the attacker will always get the first move unless the defender is retreating. I will post the results of individual fights The fate of these fights will determine the outcome of the battle.
    (ie- Unit 1 deals heavy casualties to Unit 2 before Unit 3 hits them from behind and destroys the ones who did not flee.)

Victory will be determined on who achieved their goals to a greater extent.

Cultural Diffusion

Now, you can acquire other units and blend cultures and religions via "Cultural Diffusion", where you after conquering or trading for a long time with, another civilization, you can acquire units and religions from that civilization. Religion can create happiness or discomfort for your people, if a new religion is invading your lands and the old ways are quickly falling, people will get upset and revolt. And if you claim another region that has a rival religion, they will be unhappy under your rule.

I will post more as things develop.
    Last edited by Jingo Eugene; June 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

Default Re: Cradles of Civilization-

so we just pick one area in the green and go from there?

EDIT: Im also a tad bit confused on the units.We have Light Infantry, Archers/Slingers (interchangeable),Light Cavalry, Light Spearmen, & Skirmishers from the start. Do we just get 1 optional unit or change with something else?
    Last edited by Celsius; June 22, 2011 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    so we just pick one area in the green and go from there?
    Pretty much yes. Don't worry though, after taking on another weaker city of two, things should start to get heated.
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post

EDIT: Im also a tad bit confused on the units.We have Light Infantry, Archers/Slingers (interchangeable),Light Cavalry, Light Spearmen, & Skirmishers from the start. Do we just get 1 optional unit or change with something else?
    The switching out was an older idea I copied and pasted. You will get one bonus unit for your starting army. You can acquire more and use them as you conquer other civilizations. Will explain that in a bit.
    Jingo Eugene

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

sounds good I will play if it gets off the ground

Might want to get more into the units....

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    sounds good I will play if it gets off the ground

Might want to get more into the units....
    This will be a while before we start, and I will flesh out units much more don't worry.

So far, I have planned to add...

Archer Cavalry
    Chariot Archers
    Raiders
    Mercenary Units
    Jingo Eugene

This is not dead yet. I have been working on unique mercenary units recruit-able in certain areas. Any comments/criticism is welcome.
    Jingo Eugene

Updated with mercenaries and governments.
    Jingo Eugene

Bjorn's Avatar Praefectus

Player: Bjorn

Civilization Name: The People of the Rhine

Religion: Norse Paganism

Gods: The Æsir and Vanir, but primarily worship Þórr, Ingvi Freyr and Oðinn.

Leader: Þórolf Kvald-Ulfsson, Hár-Konungrinn

Royal Family:

Þórolf Kvald-Ulfsson, Hár-Konungrinn (45)

Brunhild Yngvisdóttir, Wife (41)

Surtr Þórolfsson, First Son (25)

Knud Dagar Þórolfsson, Second Son (21)

Hilda Þórolfsdóttir, First Daughter (16)

Gerðr Þórolfsdóttir, Second Daughter (14)

Government: Council of Konungar, led by a Hár-Konungr (Federation) (Singular Konungr, plural Konungar)

EDIT: Yes, I made him Norse, instead of German, I prefer Norse

Map:
    Last edited by Bjorn; June 26, 2011 at 01:43 PM.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Sounds a lot like DoM...

I'm in if I can be a Spartan Empire, but wait 'til September, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Βασιλιάς Αλέξανδρος View Post
    Sounds a lot like DoM...

I'm in if I can be a Spartan Empire, but wait 'til September, please?
    I came in after DoM, so when I was told about it, I was already halfway done with it. Sorry.
    Jingo Eugene

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Sep is far away aggy..

Yeah... But this isn't quite done. And by the time we begin, it should be somewhat close to September.
    Jingo Eugene

Yay!

Now Aggy, (I refuse to call you by your new name by the way.) it will probably start somewhere between mid and late August, whenever it is ready. I cannot postpone it too long for you. Sorry.
    Jingo Eugene

That's alright. BTW, my new name is King Alexander.