Thread: Destroying Religious Buildings + Garrison Script

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

Default Destroying Religious Buildings + Garrison Script

In the Dark Age campaign the option to destroy religious buildings is greyed out. I don;t know if it is intentional or not. But if it is I think the guy who did this needs to have his head examined (just kidding). Conquering territory of a different religion is impossible if temples can't be destroyed. Please fix this or tell me how to fix it. I tried removing the hidden resource thing and deleting the map.rw but it doesn't fix the problem. This is a Khazar campaign btw.

Looks like Synagogues, Pagan temples, and some types of churches are not destroyable.

Also, the garrison script is making expansion excruciatingly difficult.
    Last edited by Prince of Judah; June 20, 2011 at 02:06 AM.

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Destroying Religious Buildings + Garrison Script

yes, this is intentional. in most settlements there is a religious building that can't be destroyed: pagan temples, ortodox/catholic churches (or monasteries?). synagogues can be constructed by every faction and it is the only religious building for judaism. it was made so it is a lot harder to conquer regions and to be more historical (i think). about how to remove these buildings, i can't help you as i never tried removing them, and i don't want to either.
    you make it sound like it makes your campaign unplayable. i played once with khazars, from the start i attacked the Pecenegs taking them tana, tmurtarkan, then bulghar, and after that they accepted peace and alliance (i never succeded to make someone my vassal) and i only recruit priests, lots of priests. from sarkel i trained 5 or more, i don't remember exactly. it was a easy campaign in my opinion. at turn 30-40 i conquered all armenia and i got bored...

the garrison script makes the game extremely tedious.

Those religious buildings are there to help maintain the historic religions in the province. It is somewhat ridiculous to have an entire population converted to an alien religion in less than a generation, so this was an answer to the problem.

Chivalry II TW : The Sicilian Vespers - The Multi-Era Mod Project (MIITW/Kingdoms)
    Chivalry I TW - The Original Medieval Total Conversion Mod (BI 1.6 Or RTW 1.5)
    Under the Patronage of Atterdag

Maybe so, but that doesn't make up for the extreme frustration of having to deal with a permanent temple contributing to disorder. The Khazars start with a single settlement, which means they MUST quickly capture and subdue neighboring provinces AND hold on to them.

Consulo's Avatar Laurifer Invictus

It's called the scorched earth method. Build an army, preferably with siege engines and sack/massacre whatever regions you take. Easily pacifies folks. While it can be frustrating in certain circumstances (Toulouse), it does add to the historical nature of this mod. If you're looking for a game that you can just mow over then go play vanilla. Otherwise plan for some hardships via religion and AoE discrepancies.

Feel free to add me.

The Garrison script in this mod isn't so bad because it only appears in the turn after you lay siege (there are mods in which it spawns immediately). You can avoid the spawning of a big force if:

1. Your spy can open the gates
    2. you have siege artillery
    3. There is an enemy stack in a tile adjacent to the settlement and you can attack it in battle so the garrison joins the battle as reinforcements.

i.e. if you can immediately assault when laying siege.

If that all fails, the majority of spawned garrisons are AOR militia units (arrière ban, voi's etc) who are only slightly better than peasants.

Another solution is to use small armies that will be outnumbered by the garrison by a margin agreeable to the AI so the garrison sallies out once it has spawned reinforcements. The battle will be hard, but not as hard as assaulting walls held by a huge garrison.

And then there's also the level of the settlement's defences to take into account. A settlement with just a wooden palisade is easy to take with moderately few losses if you have plenty of archers and patience.

The garrison script can be removed from campaign_script.txt.

The buildings can be made destroyable by removing "hinterland" from their attributes in descr_strat.txt.

None of these changes are save-game compatible.