Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [EB AAR] Hellenes

Default [EB AAR] Hellenes

As promised here's my Hellenic campaign story under the new EB release. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I do playing it. Please comment and share your stories with everyone also.

Key government officials and family members.

Some notable achievements of Akrotatos at 28yrs of age.

Coming up the battle of Rhodos and Chalkis.
    Last edited by DEMETRIOUS II; March 13, 2006 at 07:19 PM.

Nice, I was begining to wonder if you were going to do this or if the idea fell into oblivion. Nice, very nice.

Dixit ei Iesus ego sum resurrectio et vita qui credit in me et si mortuus fuerit vivet. Et omnis qui vivit et credit in me non morietur in aeternum credis hoc? John XI:XXV, XXVI

Very nice indeed! I love how Areus died at Corinth, trying to help draw attention away from Athens - like he really did die. I also love the surprise mak attack. I hope they take Rhodes and provide you with some more excitement! Have you gotten any other new generals along the way? Fill us in on who else has joined the family after Areus and the Rhodian died.

266BC - THE AEGEAN WARS

To be continued........

Not bad. This remindes me of Alexander's campaign. He was heavily outnumbered but with great skill and talent, managed to overcome an army more than 5 times the size of his own. Very good AAR.

Dixit ei Iesus ego sum resurrectio et vita qui credit in me et si mortuus fuerit vivet. Et omnis qui vivit et credit in me non morietur in aeternum credis hoc? John XI:XXV, XXVI

Looks like the Maks are done for. It's a shame you won't have spartans in control from this point on though. But it's been very entertaining for sure. What's up with Doros routing though at Chalkis? Did he start to run, but then regain his composure?

A very weird thing happened in Chalkis. The portraits of the two generals somehow got switched on the unit card. That's why I was shocked when the message came up that Akrotatos was killed. I thought that I had Doros engaged and Akrotatos watching from behind the lines. Well maybe I got all mixed up who knows. But for sure the battle was awesome when most of my army started routing I thought that was it, but Doros somehow made a comeback.

So did Doros win at the olympics?

Looks like Macedon is done for. In only a single decade too.

@ Teleklos
    Doros is a bum he didn't win anything at the Olympics but he probebly did get a participation pin :laughing:

@Dan
    Well I've been playing RTW since it was released and I can honestly say this is the best campaign by far. I usually get bored and start a new one but do I have a surprise in store for you. I will update tonight after work. Lets just say that Macedonian stack was full of elites. Wow what a tough battle!!

Cool, after Mac, u can attack three rebel cities!!

Why go for Rebels? Epirus looks a good place for expansion...

My training facilities in Athens are behind schedule so I am stuck with weak infantry for now. A major mistake
    was not upgrading the army baracks to train Iphikratian hoplites. Lets hope I last long enough. It is getting
    very interesting.

More to follow........

I'll state the obvious: it's not looking good! :sweatingb

Wow, I didn't know that YOU could be defeated in battle. This is the first time I have seen that you could actually loose. As the above pointed out, it doesn't look good for the Hellenes.

But the Maks are only down to one city or so, and the Epeirotes are still on his side. He may lose Corinth (may not though), but he'll still be able to out-produce and beat down the maks within a few years here. He had too much success early on to lose to the Maks at this point.

I was stupid to set up my forces in a single line with light hoplites in the center. I should have learned from previous battles to reinforce my wings. But it was too late as I did not do proper reconnaisance and I didn't see that they had two divisions of Thessalian cavalry plus the General's bodyguard. I threw everything I had at those Thessalians but they are way too powerfull, even overpowered. They manage to rout my whole left flank, after the left broke it was too late I could not recover as my right was cut off and could not support. On upcoming battles expect new formations from me. I will try the Theban formation and the Marathon formations. Lets see. I will update tonight.

My other mistake as I mentioned is that I did not update the barraks in Athens to produce Iphikratean hoplites, the units I did have, even though numerically superior, could not measure up to the Thessalian cavalry, theurophoroi, and peraspidai that the Macedonians had. Plus my general had no command stars and fell to light skirmishers, OH THE SHAME....

I like loosing once in a while it makes the game more fun.

Well the best thing a general can do is learn from his mistakes. It sounds like you have done exactly that.

Had a meeting with a unit of Macedon Companion cavalry (Hetiaroi?). It was just a skirmish but the way they teared me apart reminds me not to unerestimate the struggle for the Dardanelles which is ahead of me. So far I only faced Macedon's crap units in the field but whenever I reached over to Byzantion a strong counteroffensive made me withdraw back without a fight until my main army has resolved the conflict around Sardis and Pergamum.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast