Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Seven Year's war mod (sponge)

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Seven Year's war mod (sponge)

Quote Originally Posted by ACMilan88 View Post
    Looking good wangrin, love the quality of your models. The Knappersack, oakleaves and the braids is right on Are you self-learned?
    Yes, I've began to work on 3D models approximatively one years ago.
    Joedreck gave me advice about vertex weights and Primergy about UU3D and UVMaps.
    Their help was decisive

Modeling isn't difficult, but it need to be methodical and patient.

Hâtez-vous lentement, et sans perdre courage,
    Vingt fois sur le métier remettez votre ouvrage,
    Polissez-le sans cesse, et le repolissez,
    Ajoutez quelquefois, et souvent effacez.

Nicolas BOILEAU
    Gently make haste, of labour not afraid;
    Consider twenty times of what you’ve said:
    Polish, repolish, every colour lay,
    And sometimes add, but oft’ner take away.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Is it possible to change the size of the Seven Year´s war mod (sponge ) units so they are equal in size to Darthmod´s units

Great mod anyway the units are amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Flodin View Post
    Is it possible to change the size of the Seven Year´s war mod (sponge ) units so they are equal in size to Darthmod´s units

Great mod anyway the units are amazing
    I use the Darth Mod, Normal Unit Sizes submod and I found it perfectly compatible with spongeSYW!
    cheers
    soult
    "What is difficult in training will become easy in a battle" Alexander V. Suvorov

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Soult View Post
    I use the Darth Mod, Normal Unit Sizes submod and I found it perfectly compatible with spongeSYW!
    cheers
    soult
    Marshall Soult, do you use Full DMUC or just simple Darthmod? What was your mod instalation order?
    What mod manager did you use? Please share this information because I am a bit confused how to instal SYW mod and have Darthmod, Smoke and Blood mod at the same time.

ACMilan88's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Sbygneus View Post
    Marshall Soult, do you use Full DMUC or just simple Darthmod? What was your mod instalation order?
    What mod manager did you use? Please share this information because I am a bit confused how to instal SYW mod and have Darthmod, Smoke and Blood mod at the same time.

I have made this mod with vanilla (normal) unit sizes. I have also a coustomized Darthmod pac for my own use (not DMUC) that iv'e changed to normal unit sizes.

If you want DMUC unit sizes you can open the sponge_SYW pack with DBEditor and changes the unit sizes under the unit_stats_land table. This mod is fully compatible with Darthmod, just put the DM pack/packs above sponge with mod manager You can also ask Marshall Soult where he got the Normal Unit Sizes. This is better because all computers can't handle the huge sizes from DMUC.

Saxon roster almost complete, only cuirassiers remains.

Saxon Cavalry
    Note: model is not good as they should have gold laced tricorns, can't do that with current model.
    Graf Rutowsky

Prinz Karl

Kicking prussian butt

Last edited by ACMilan88; September 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks for the tips Marshall Soult and ACMilan88

Yes thank you for clarifications!

Quote Originally Posted by ACMilan88 View Post
    I have made this mod with vanilla (normal) unit sizes. I have also a coustomized Darthmod pac for my own use (not DMUC) that iv'e changed to normal unit sizes.

If you want DMUC unit sizes you can open the sponge_SYW pack with DBEditor and changes the unit sizes under the unit_stats_land table. This mod is fully compatible with Darthmod, just put the DM pack/packs above sponge with mod manager You can also ask Marshall Soult where he got the Normal Unit Sizes. This is better because all computers can't handle the huge sizes from DMUC.
    @Sbygneus:

You can find it here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=295165

For its installations, i followed ACMilan88 instructions found on the first page, placing the darthmod lite 6.95 above SYW in the installation order. I didnt used any modmanager, i just edited the user.script myself.
    It works GREAT!!! Darthmod gameplay and SYW marvellous units, the best solution so far!!!

Glad to be of some help!!!!
    soult
    "What is difficult in training will become easy in a battle" Alexander V. Suvorov

Kaunitz's Avatar Centenarius

Sorry for my late answer, Wangrin. I’m so busy with the Kaunitz Project these times. I hope I can give some constructive feedback, even though it might seem very nitpicky again. You know that I’m a fan of your work!

The moustache kind of reminds me of Hulk Hogan. It’s hard to explain. The beard “grows” down to the right and to the left of the mouth corners too much for my taste. Looking at the moustaches in the Albertina Handschrift, only the curls of the beard would hang down there, but the moustache doesn’t grow there. I’ve tried to explain it in this picture at the bottom of the post.

And I don’t know what it is that makes this soldiers face look a bit feminine or rather “beautiful”. Perhaps it’s the very slim nose (and the slim face in general) in combination with the pitch-black beard that doesn’t fit to the other features of his face. He looks a bit sickly and fragile. Sure, maybe he’s ill, but he doesn’t fit the picture that comes up when I imagine a 18th century soldier. Maybe you can borrow Flikitos’ new face? I’m a big fan of it.

As for the plaits: they look very nice. But I think they are a bit too big/long at the moment. Also, can you make the hair cover the upper part of the ear? Every fashionable guy would have some hair-rocailles hanging there.

The Pompon on the tricorn is supposed to be coloured in “circles”, not in stripes (see image). I don’t know if it’s possible to change that.

I am a bit worried that the oak branches will look a bit odd when you see a mass of soldiers standing together. I hardly dare to ask, but is it possible to reduce its size a bit? I have a scary pictures of a bonsai-army in my mind.

And then I could still critizise the hat, but I think you’ve grown tired of that!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

KAUNITZ PROJECT
    - a modding project for a better representation of XVIIIth century warfare -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaunitz View Post
    Sorry for my late answer, Wangrin. I’m so busy with the Kaunitz Project these times. I hope I can give some constructive feedback, even though it might seem very nitpicky again. You know that I’m a fan of your work!

The moustache kind of reminds me of Hulk Hogan. It’s hard to explain. The beard “grows” down to the right and to the left of the mouth corners too much for my taste. Looking at the moustaches in the Albertina Handschrift, only the curls of the beard would hang down there, but the moustache doesn’t grow there. I’ve tried to explain it in this picture at the bottom of the post.

And I don’t know what it is that makes this soldiers face look a bit feminine or rather “beautiful”. Perhaps it’s the very slim nose (and the slim face in general) in combination with the pitch-black beard that doesn’t fit to the other features of his face. He looks a bit sickly and fragile. Sure, maybe he’s ill, but he doesn’t fit the picture that comes up when I imagine a 18th century soldier. Maybe you can borrow Flikitos’ new face? I’m a big fan of it.

As for the plaits: they look very nice. But I think they are a bit too big/long at the moment. Also, can you make the hair cover the upper part of the ear? Every fashionable guy would have some hair-rocailles hanging there.

The Pompon on the tricorn is supposed to be coloured in “circles”, not in stripes (see image). I don’t know if it’s possible to change that.

I am a bit worried that the oak branches will look a bit odd when you see a mass of soldiers standing together. I hardly dare to ask, but is it possible to reduce its size a bit? I have a scary pictures of a bonsai-army in my mind.

And then I could still critizise the hat, but I think you’ve grown tired of that!

Hi Kaunitz. Well the things you speak of is minor issues. Wangrin's focus is primarly on modeling not skining, allthogh the skin looks good. Most of the things you mention can be changed by reskinning the model.

I will reshape and fit this model with current sponge hungarian fusilier skins, i will show some screens later

This is what the hungarians look like now:
    http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...6-27_00013.jpg
    Last edited by ACMilan88; September 16, 2011 at 03:37 AM.

@ACMilan88:

To what degree British units are remodelled/reskined in the mod?
    Eventually, will Brit Mod work with Sponge mod?

@Marshall Soult:
    Thanks for information. One more question: how do you edit the user.script? Is this hard to do? Sorry I am such a novice.

Damn, I dont get it how LTChambers mod manager works! I place pack files in empire data folder, check them in Lt Chambers mod manager and the mod is not actually working in the game. How can I activate mod (and edit script files) without using mod manager which is making me crazy? Please help!

Dee Jay's Avatar I'm gone....

The download link don't work

Also, I was wondering if the Prussian and Austrian armies are 100% correct ?

EDIT: The link is working

OVER 500MB DOWNLOAD!! DAMN
    Last edited by Dee Jay; September 17, 2011 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbygneus View Post
    @ACMilan88:

To what degree British units are remodelled/reskined in the mod?
    Eventually, will Brit Mod work with Sponge mod?

@Marshall Soult:
    Thanks for information. One more question: how do you edit the user.script? Is this hard to do? Sorry I am such a novice.
    Well the idea was to make a full roster for brittain. However i'm the only one working on this mod (exept the very much appreciated help from wangrin) so it's going to take a while before i start on the britts. My focus is now to complete the major factions joedreck already started on (including NPI french mod).

About modmanager.

First of all DL modmanager. I place the files in empire total far -folder.
    Put the sponge pack in data folder. Then launch mod manager and thick the boxes of wich mods you want to use. If the sponge units don't show up then you'll probably have another mod that is conflicting. If your'e playing DMUC try launch the game without it and see if it works.

Also, when you install a new mod with lot of content (like spongemod) you have to delete the game cache files and the last used mods file. Go to this location (Windows 7), also remember to enable "show hiden folders":
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire
    The game atomaticaly creates new files for textures/weather and other stuff first time you launch the game. When installing a new mod it might be nessesary to delete these files so the game can create new ones.

Don't forget to check so that your mods loads in the right order. Darthmod first then spongemod.

Hope this clear things up
    Last edited by ACMilan88; September 17, 2011 at 07:51 AM.

Dee Jay's Avatar I'm gone....

Is an update for this mod coming out any time soon?

Looking great by the way

EDIT: I would like to help out in this mod, for the textures. I have only ever modded Napoleon, and made so really good textures there, but I know that it's not much different for Empire. I seem to have a rare skill of being really good at skinning the normal.dds and yeah, pretty good at the rest of them.

Send me a PM if you want any help in any places Cheers, DJ
    Last edited by Dee Jay; September 17, 2011 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jay View Post
    Is an update for this mod coming out any time soon?

Looking great by the way

EDIT: I would like to help out in this mod, for the textures. I have only ever modded Napoleon, and made so really good textures there, but I know that it's not much different for Empire. I seem to have a rare skill of being really good at skinning the normal.dds and yeah, pretty good at the rest of them.

Send me a PM if you want any help in any places Cheers, DJ

Hi Dee Jay. Well i appreciate anny help i can get. If you have questions about skinning ETW i can answer them, normal and gloss mapping isn't very difficult. Ill get back to you about that. Also, iv'e just released an update. 1.1 DL is on first page

Here's wangrins hungarians with my skin, i'm really impressed myself

wangrins hungarians

He's looking good, even though all ETW models have gigantic upper legs (or perhaps I get this impression because the coat is cut so tight on ETW models' upper bodies...or because they stand with their legs apart too much*). Also the oak leafs don't seem overdone and the face is very good now. However, I wouldn't be Kaunitz if I didn't have something to query:

- On some pictures, the leather belts of the cartridge pouch and the haversack look as if they're made out of very rough textile rather than leather. The rough texture doesn't give you the impression of leather. Also the texture of the coat seems very rough for me, reminding me of very rough wool.
    - He clearly only needs one "shoulder strap" for the belt of the cartridge pouch. There shouldn't be one on his right shoulder.
    - His front seems a bit overladen. Maybe it would look better if you got rid of the (very big) buckle on the haversacks' belt. Also the ornaments on his trousers and those of the textile-belt seem to be of different golden hues, which - together with two leather belts and all the ornaments - make them look a bit nervous. In fact I think they should be "yellow", not "golden".
    - Oh, and the Pommel is still stiped. But I can bear that.
    - Last but not least: Do you plan to equip the 7YW models with the super-tricorns of NPI? Now that I've seen them on pictures, I want them! They're really such an improvement over the uninspired vanilla tricorns. ..

(I also love how you've increased the size of the flag! Awesome!)

+ rep for all of you (as soon as I can)!

* They seem to have different "stand"-animation-poses. I'll try to get rid of the "legs apart" one in my mod.
    Last edited by Kaunitz; September 18, 2011 at 02:48 AM.
    KAUNITZ PROJECT

this mod is great!! the units are all black in my game. is there a fix for that?

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Thanks Kaunitz

I've hesitated between one or two epaulets.
    Some pictures depict Hungarian fusilier with only one on their left shoulder, some others with epaulets on both side.
    I didn't rework the Hungarian fusilier yet, I've planned to do this weekend but I'm a bit busy.

The enlarged flag mod come from Primergy, and I really like how flags look like now

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Colours of the habsburg infantry:

The basic information can be found on the kronoskaf Seven Years War Project page. As we can't have two banners per battalion, I'd go for the typical banner: imperial yellow and a "flame"-border, showing the imperial eagle, on a "spiraled" flagpole.
    Judging from the paintings that I keep posting here all the time, the things seem to have been a bit more chaotic. Apart from the white Leibfahnen, you can also see combinations with red-orange banners. I can't believe that this is a mistake by the painters, because the paintings are generally very detailed (e.g. the battalions leading the battalion column on the Maxen-painting don't carry colours. I don't think that the painter simply forgot them. Rather I believe that he painted the converged grenadier battalions that actually led the battalion column and didn't have any colours. Here's a closer look at them). Moreover, red banners appear in paintings of different painters (also see the Hochkirch painting here).

Here are some examples (I've also marked some drums):

(also notice the cavalry timpanist in the red uniform; bottom right - a bit strange though since he seems to be in company of cuirassiers, not dragoons....)

(Leibfahne 1741 pattern. This does not fit the SYW but it might give you an idea)

PS: The artillery you can see in this paintings seems to belong to the "artillery of the Netherlands", because obviously the crew wears blue, not brown uniforms. I have to check though if they were really present at the depicted battles. It seems a bit weird though...the blue uniforms show up in the paintings of the engagements of Maxen, Treplitz, Hochkirch, and even Kolin if my eyes are not too weak....maybe the crew of the regimental guns had their own uniform? ..I dont think so...

One more example of blue artillery uniforms (in this case I guess we see battalion guns...)

(notice the two guys following the ammo-cassion, and also, if you take a close look, you'll see the grey-blue of the artillery crews' uniform)

Drums of the habsburg infantry:

I think you will be happy to hear that by the SYW, the drummers of the infantry wore the same uniform as ordinary rank-and-file soldiers. The only difference was that they had fishtails/swallow nests on their shoulders, which would either be either white or in the regimental colours.

The drum always looked the same, as described on kronoskaf: "The drum had a brass barrel decorated with black flames at the bottom and with a black double headed Eagle on a yellow field. Rims were decorated with red and white diagonal stripes. The bandolier was white."

PS: I've read an article about little porcellain-statues of habsburg soldiers, which were manufactured "in the middle" of the 18th century (some of the earliest of this type in Europe) - they arthistorians date them to around 1740, the uniform-specialist to 1766. What is important though is that all figures wear their tricorns with the front tip over the left eye or even completly across. So I think it would be a nice "customization" for the habsburg army indeed.
    Last edited by Kaunitz; September 27, 2011 at 09:18 AM.
    KAUNITZ PROJECT