Thread: What an Anti-Climax!!!!!!

Default What an Anti-Climax!!!!!!

Playing as the Julii. The Year is 150B.C. The Juli family own Gaul, Britain, The Iberian peninsula, and have small holdings in Germania, Dacia, and North AFRICanks to rebellions in Brutii + Scippii territotries that i was able to quickly sneak into. The brutii and Scipii dominate everywhere else with the greeks, egyptians and Pontus barely surviving .My popularity with the plebs is soaring and the senate are all smiles but secretly sharpening knives for me.

After waiting about 7yrs with nothing to do ( i remember reading somewhere that the senate asks you to commit suicide, otherwise you can go to civil war ) i decide to be the aggressor and attack the brutii and the senate in one turn. The battle with the Brutii was amazing, with Urban cohorts from both sides clashing with each other and only my superior generalship (LOL!!) winning through. My other Army that is beseiging Rome is suddenly attcked by not one but two armies of the SPQR and i am suddenly on the defensive. You can imagine my apprehension as the screen loads up. My handpicked army of 2200 men facing a massed army of 5000+ republican troops.

Hang on . . . . . . . . why is the SPQR army fielding Principes and Triarii? Jesus, is that several battalions of Hastati with antique armour i can see coming ove the hill? Okay, there was one First Cohort unit, but i must say, i thought the people of rome would have fielded a better army. Even out-numbered i gave them a good kicking, and my army has resumed its siege of Rome with its severly depleted defenders cowering behind its walls.

Ok, I am jumping ahead of myself as I will have to take on the Brutii and Scipii and that wont be so easy, but for Rome to be so poorly defended with outdated troops is just such a let down. Oh well, just thought i would have a whinge. I have promised myself that after i have clocked RTW and BI, i will load either RTR or the SPQR mod and give myself a decent challenge. The Arthurian mod should be done by then, and when thats done with, MTW2 should be out

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

if you like realism go for RTR, if you like battles and strategic planning against insane odds go for SPQR (and expect to be beaten the first time you play).
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

*sigh* Yes, I hate the fact that they use Hastati and all that. It was too easy to beat them, i didn't even bother with getting experienced troops. Now, in SPQR, Im facing four full stacks of gold chevron legionairy cohorts....

StickShift's Avatar Libertus

yes, it is very disappointing but considering the Senate has one city they can't afford to crank out a whole new army of post-Marian troops unless they disband the Pre-Marian troops. now we all know the AI doesn't like to retrain many of its troops so disbanding them is out of the question...

perhaps if you crushed the Pre-Marian army and then let the Senate replace it with newer troops you might get a better fight.