Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: RS2.5 Previews

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: RS2.2 Previews

Texture is old.

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Oh wow, well that looks great. Looking forward to Gaul!

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Quote Originally Posted by intel View Post
    Texture is old.
    Actually the wooden palisade texture is new, and the gateways use EB's opposing wall model and texture (which is in RS2 already)

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Here's a little taster of one of the other changes I'm working on at the moment
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

OMG tone! excellent improvements!

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Great work with new objects, just beautiful!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Got it.. Tone and dvk901 are aliens.. Super-intelligent Extra-Terrestrials... Gods I guess??!! may be wrong..But to be honest.. You people are doing a great work.. I'm Impressed...Even CA can't believe that their engine can be pushed to such extremes.. All Hail RS 2(.2)..!!! Love y'al..!
    Marcus Claudius Aurelius

Foederatus

Whow, nice work tone

but is the AI able to defend that fortres?

Yes the AI defends it very well including putting slingers on top of those gateways. In fact I lost my first battle attacking with a full premarian legion with two stone throwing ballistas. There are still a number of things to finalize in view of the fact that the walls you see aren't the actual walls that would be around the outside of a RTW settlement and have no link with the strat map "wall"building. Also there is no way of these internal walls having normally functioning and destructible gates. So we need to decide whether to have a properly coded wall around the outside of the settlement that needs to be breached with rams or siege towers or whether we leave things looking like they do at the moment.

As things stand, all those concentric palisades are destructible by siege engines, so it's worth firing your ballista at them to destroy them then get infantry to scale those earth ramparts as well as trying to get in through the gates.

I'm still doing some work on the pathfinding files but the AI so far has behaved quite intelligently.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

johnnieangel's Avatar Tiro

you all have truly out done yourselves...
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." John Stuart Mill
    English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

johnnieangel's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by KingCrr View Post
    The RS team must not be American!
    why?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." John Stuart Mill
    English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

nice work people. Love this mod.

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

Howabout new unit textures? like HOLLYWOOD style Spartans?

^
    I hope there would be nothing like that.

I'm sure it's a joke.....if not then that's just bad taste.

How is the pathing? I find that to be the most important, rather than the good looks. No jam ups etc?

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

hey leave tone alone! I bet you would like some diversity in conquering cities right!? well with this option you can trully have open fights!

gumby7's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Here's a little taster of one of the other changes I'm working on at the moment

That is really cool! Out of curiosity, how does the AI handle custom settlements like this?

In defence, so far so good, including putting some missile units on top of the gateways.
    I'm just finishing off the pathfinding files at the moment with some extra pathways in between the levels and after that will do some testing of how the AI is with attacking these.

It's important for people to understand that there is a choice we have to make in doing this as there are certain constraints that come with the normally coded walls and gates:
    - only 45 or 90 degree angles, so settlement walls look very boxy
    - only one layer of walls / gates allowed

By having a settlement looking this it makes things look much more natural and realistic, BUT
    - gates will always be open (a solution to this is using a garrison script so that things aren't made too easy, but it'll still require the attacker to play fair and not attack straight away but besiege for a turn)
    - walls will be determined by the level of settlement rather than by building them separately within the campaign (as there is no easy way of having upgradeable walls for one settlement)

We thought of doing a hybrid version with normally coded walls/gates around the outside of the whole settlement, but it looks less natural, and so our inclination is not to do this:

One option of course is to keep an oppidum-style settlement as the highest level barbarian settlement and have these more hillfort style settlements for the lower levels.

Of course there will be a load more buildings in the centre of these than shown so far here.

The great thing is that just like historically, these things will be hard work to conquer.
    Last edited by tone; July 04, 2011 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacco View Post
    I think it's possible, but we didn't try. I think somewhere I saw that, but not sure where.
    i saw it on ancient empires elysium's mod made by Limes!
    look here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9INFiIdx8s

@Tone
    Congratulation for your superb work! very realistic and accuracy!

jmilan77's Avatar Decanus

May i ask, what files are you editing to the work for those settlements because from some teams i have spoke to they all edit slightly different files which kinda confuses me, thought they be the same for every. Love the work you have done on those barbarian settlement plans. They look beutifull. I would of liked to do something like that for our mod but as the next version is focused more on the med, the barbarians are less of an priority. But great work none the less. Love to see what you have done with the greek settlements, to see what you have done differently to are's.
    Mod Leader for Roma Vici Total War
    Current release: 0.88