Thread: How can I force the game to use my DB values?

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Default How can I force the game to use my DB values?

I'm finding something that's giving me a hard time:

See, I want to make the encampment available as soon as the way of bushido is researched.
    In my mod I put
    On the folder:
    building_level_required_technology_junctions_tables

On the table:
    building_level_required_technology_junctions

I add the following row:
    SHO_Buff_1_Encampment shogun_military_core_bushido

However when I run the game, even when the Bushido tech says its going to unlock the Encampment, after I research it it still needs the Earth and Heaven.

How can I force the game to employ only the values on my mod?
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

Default Re: How can I force the game to use my DB values?

Quote Originally Posted by Lordbaal19 View Post
    I'm finding something that's giving me a hard time:

See, I want to make the encampment available as soon as the way of bushido is researched.
    In my mod I put
    On the folder:
    building_level_required_technology_junctions_tables

On the table:
    building_level_required_technology_junctions

I add the following row:
    SHO_Buff_1_Encampment shogun_military_core_bushido

However when I run the game, even when the Bushido tech says its going to unlock the Encampment, after I research it it still needs the Earth and Heaven.

How can I force the game to employ only the values on my mod?
    Well, you could start with this...

Other than that, all I can ask is "did you delete the entry that was already in the table assigning the Heaven Earth tech to the building"?

Yeap I deleted the entry, I'm pretty much screwed or something?

What I have in the user scrip does not affect this? All I have there is this.

mod delirium_shogun.pack;
    campaign_unit_multiplier 1.5;
    naval_fleet_multiplier 0.75;

If I remove the first line then my mod is completely ignored.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; June 16, 2011 at 07:40 AM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Did you export the table from the newest patch (5, I think) version that contained that particular table?

Also, in some cases, tables require a unique ID assigned to each line. I don't remember off the top of my head if the tech one needs it, but check that too.
    Last edited by Ying, Duke of Qin; June 15, 2011 at 11:59 PM.

Since we can't delete most DB entries, only add or modify them this is pretty much impossible. If you delete an entry in building_tech_required table, it will simply use the vanilla one. If you change the tech to something else, it will insist that you have both the vanilla and the "new" tech you added.

I say pretty much, because you can work around it though. You would have to make a new building, put that in the building chain before encampment and then assign that building to be unlocked earlier in the tech, or require no tech at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying, Duke of Qin View Post
    Did you export the table from the newest patch (5, I think) version that contained that particular table?
    I don't think so, I must be working on a older table. To be honest I started over the Darth Mod pack. But my PFM seems unable to open the newer packs (the newer I have is if I remember correctly is 6, by the way).

Quote Originally Posted by Ying, Duke of Qin View Post
    Also, in some cases, tables require a unique ID assigned to each line. I don't remember off the top of my head if the tech one needs it, but check that too.
    Do you mean the index? I think this table do not require it... If not then would you please put some enlightenment in this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Vragos View Post
    Since we can't delete most DB entries, only add or modify them this is pretty much impossible. If you delete an entry in building_tech_required table, it will simply use the vanilla one. If you change the tech to something else, it will insist that you have both the vanilla and the "new" tech you added.

I say pretty much, because you can work around it though. You would have to make a new building, put that in the building chain before encampment and then assign that building to be unlocked earlier in the tech, or require no tech at all.
    This is sad indeed...
    I read somewhere that the patches where loaded in certain order, and that the newer ones "overwrite" the values of the older one when the game was loading, or it was backwards... I don't remember but it was something along those lines... we can't use this to our advantage, if we call the mod pack, for instance, "patch 7"? Or it would have the same results than now?

Thanks a lot to both of you my friends.

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

The most current PFM is 1.6.6 (hotfix), not 1.6

Is it possible to create a mod pack with nothing in it except removal of all tech requirements for all buildings, then create another mod pack that adds the new tech requirements that you wanted to the buildings? Put them in order in the script file first to remove all techs then the next pack you made puts in the techs you want.

Worth a try...

O I meant the patch version, I got a patch 6, the PFM I have is the latest too.

I'll give a shoot to your idea tonight if I can. Thanks Hazbones!

The db line entries work with redundency. So if you delete the line from your pack it will just read it in the patch.pack. You will have to work around. Or perhaps rename something on that line in ALL packs to render it unused..

SHO_Buff_1_Encampment is in all patch.packs back to data.pack so rename it to something like SHO_Buff_1_Encampment_old in all packs except your mod pack. As that building doesn't exist it should remove the Heaven and Earth requirement. But this is not a preferred way to do it, it may be only way.

I could do it for personal use, but then where's the point of sharing with other people, not to mention my copy would be totally MP incompatible, add the possibility of one of the late night ninja steam updates entering the PC and poisoning my sake and you get a recipe for disaster...

Baal, out of curiosity, is the rest of your mod being read properly by the game?

Yeap... I think so. I haven't made a extensive beta testing but all the main features like the new buff building chain and new effects are working... why? I sense there's something you my friend know that I don't ...

Is this still a problem or is there now a way to remove data from the game with a mod (movie)?

I'm running into the same problem when trying to remove a building effect. I want to remove the food consumption on castles, however doesn't seem to let me do that.

As far as I know the thing remain the same, sadly for us...

If there's anyone with connections within CA here, then perhaps ask them to create a REM-value that if used will mark the variable as deleted. Use 999, for example. If you put this value in one of the variables, the game will simply ignore it. It would certainly make some mods look nicer, instead of using the value 0 to nullify something and then giving it another.

Like it will display:

Unit replenishment rate: 0%

Unit morale: 2

Where you have changed something to give morale bonus instead of replenishment rate. If the "magic" value had been 999 and I'd set the unit replenishment value to this, it will not have shown.

Well, just wishful thinking I guess.
    Maratha Light Infantry - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ibfygu

Col. Michael Kováts Hussars
    - United States - http://www.sendspace.com/file/j272k5

Norske Geworbne & Trondhjemske Regiment - Norway -
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/tmvpk6

Links updated 06.05.13