Thread: Hording factions, how to stop them hording?

Total Roach's Avatar Ducenarius

Icon5 Hording factions, how to stop them hording?

Am currently laying siege to the Gauls, they took this current settlement during their last hording adventure I want to make sure they don't horde again, all their FMs died in my attempt yet they still somehow managed to horde again. Can I stop them or is it inevitable?

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: Hording factions, how to stop them hording?

They must have had a stray FM somewhere.
    Worst case swarm them with assassins and keep their last city alive until their leadership is dead.
    Alternatively make sure they horde on somebody else (like germany) and everything will be fine
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

The_Valiant's Avatar Semisalis

What factions horde? I didn't know this!
    One's back is vulnerable, unless one has a brother.
    - The Saga of Grettir the Strong

I know that the Gauls, Parthians and Germans horde. The Scythians might also, but I haven't seen them get fully conquered yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Dragon View Post
    I know that the Gauls, Parthians and Germans horde. The Scythians might also, but I haven't seen them get fully conquered yet.

the Sarmatians hordes aswell...

my general advice for hordes is pretty simple... beat them...

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

I usually defeat a horde by training 20 units of heavy cavalry and chucking them right at the enemy generals, once all generals in an army are dead you can either withdraw or continue to fight depending on whats left. Retrain your units then repeat on the next horde army until the faction has no more FM's and is destroyed.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

Ok chaps, the Gauls were already a horde, they took a city from the Iberians and I've looked everywhere with toggle_fow and cannot see any remaining Gauls outside this city, the Gauls flag does however have the horde icon on it.

AFAIK they wont lose that symbol until they take 3 settlements.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"

Quote Originally Posted by martin616 View Post
    AFAIK they wont lose that symbol until they take 3 settlements.
    It's a bit annoying, there are hardly any troops left and 4 FMs in the city, yet as soon as the battle is won they horde and they have all fresh FMs and stacks again

What if you dont win? go in and kill their leaders then retreat.

What if you dont win? go in and kill their leaders then retreat.
    That is a very interesting plan, got a bit of manoeuvring to do 1st but I'll try that as soon as I can

Its possible most of your army will be destroyed as a retreat while in the thick of battle could end up in a mass routeing but it will still end up with less losses than facing off against 5 horde armies.
    Last edited by Pinkie Pie; June 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM.

Its possible most of your army will be dtystroyed as a retreat while in the thick of battle could end up in a mass routeing but it will still end up with less losses than facing off against 5 horde armies.
    Actually took very little losses, only the single unit of Triarii I used and a couple men off a General. Somehow despite the battle screen showing 4 FMs there was another that I just could not see, the 1st assault and retreat killed the 4 FMs I knew of and then the last one appeared so I did a 2nd assault the same way and finally no more Gauls, where this last one came from I don't know as this was all done in one turn so he can't have marched in from anywhere. Oh well, job done, thanks for the idea Martin

Good work and thanks for the rep.
    Im gonna cry now

Actually, one thing about hordes, is to try to get them in a position that favors you. Try getting them to lay siege to a city/fort, where their horse archers can't just run around. Also, if you do fight them in the open, use lots of foot archers to counter their horse archers.

A good idea however its a gallic horde and not a Sarmatian/Parthian horde.

A good idea however its a gallic horde and not a Sarmatian/Parthian horde.
    Loads of heavy cav... their infantry can resist them...

Think there is a bug with hording factions

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Care about being more descriptive?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

posted in bug thread