Thread: Roma Surrectum II troubles (it crashes to the desktop)

Trevi's Avatar Laetus

Icon9 Roma Surrectum II troubles (it crashes to the desktop)

I have just registered here to beg your help, hoping that this is the correct section (i apologize if it is not). Preliminary remarks: I misunderstood the installation instructions and, after having installed my vanilla RTW (by default its version is 1.5) with no BI and no Alexander, i installed RSII in the "Rome - Total War" folder (after the appearance of my problem i uninstalled everything and installed it again the same way i previously described).

I decided to read very carefully the instructions at the third time ( ehm... ) so i installed my vanilla RTW, created inside "The Creative Assembly" folder a "RSII" folder and finally i copied the content of the "Rome - Total War" folder into "RSII" and installed the mod in this very last folder.

Could you tell me whether my procedure is correct now or not; and if not what should i change? Ok, having said this, let's face my trouble: I'm playing with Armenia, almost every setting put to "high" and unit dimension to "huge" (even though i fought and won 3 heroic battles yet with 5k-6k soldiers and i never suffered from slow movents, crashes or other issues, everythig was ok so i would avoid technical problems, but i'm not an expert). Now i have reached 554 AUC (if i'm not mistaken 18 turns played) and just fought an huge battle: when i press the "end of the turn button" the "circle of the other factions' turns" starts as usual, but as it comes to Sparta's turn the game immediately closes or crashes, i don't know, directly to the desktop with no error messages or any sort of indication (despite the presence of the "-show_err" command)...i kept my saves and tried to play them after every reinstallation but they always performed this issue...since i made 7 saves i tried to reload the first and keep playing but it crashed after a few turns as well...so did my sixth save...The type of crashing just reminds me the famous "261BC-closing-to-the-desktop" issue that afflicted the vanilla RTW, even though i personally deleted the "SMT_"s in "historic events.txt" after every installation...Finally my operating system is Windows XP SP3, i have a AMD Athlon 64 3800+, Ati Radeon HD 5670 (latest drivers), 2 GB RAM...
    I'm sorry for having been lenghty but i hope that being as precise as possible may halp you...So, any suggestions?

P.S.
    I would like to keep playing my Armenian Campaing since it is wonderful, you developers of RSII gave new life to RTW, along with an incredible historical depth (reading the unit descriptions is a pleasure) and a complex gameplay.
    Last edited by Brusilov; June 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: broke up the 'wall of text'....

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Roma Surrectum II troubles (it crashes to the desktop)

Wrong forum I'm afraid, you should try the Roma Surrectum Tech help forum.

Trevi's Avatar Laetus

Shall I write it again or have you already moved it there? Sorry i noticed now, few experience with forums. However i'm using RSII 2.0
    Last edited by Trevi; June 14, 2011 at 08:39 AM.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

You should not create a RSII folder inside the 'Rome - Total War' folder.

You take a copy of the 'Rome - Total War' folder and rename that and install RSII into that folder.

It's all in the install instructions - with lots of diagrams.

I don't know what you are referring to with the deletion of the 'SMT_'s files. Never heard that one before.

Are you quicksaving or autosaving? The recommendation is to manually save.

The -show_err switch will only return an error if it's trapped by the exe. Not all CTDs have an error.

What happens in the battle where you get the CTD? Is it a siege battle and if it is how many armies get involved?

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Trevi's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    You should not create a RSII folder inside the 'Rome - Total War' folder.

You take a copy of the 'Rome - Total War' folder and rename that and install RSII into that folder.

It's all in the install instructions - with lots of diagrams.
    I have not been clear: I didn't create a "RSII" folder inside "Rome - Total War" one, in my first two installations i directly installed the mod into "Rome - Total War". With my third try, instead, inside "The creative assembly" folder, next to "Rome - Total War", i created a new folder then called "Roma Surrectum II" in which, after having copied inside what was in "Rome - Total War", i installed RSII.

I don't know what you are referring to with the deletion of the 'SMT_'s files. Never heard that one before.
    After a quick look in google i found out that it is a well-known bug among italian posessors of the game. However it may simply be fixed by removing those letters in historic_events.txt or by downloading some patches that fix the file. Never mind I thought it was a "worldwide-known-issue".

Are you quicksaving or autosaving? The recommendation is to manually save
    I have always saved manually. I used the autosave to create my 7th save: I saved the 6th before the battle, fought it and the following turn the game crashed, but the autosave occured after the battle and before changing the turn so i could maintain my victory.

The -show_err switch will only return an error if it's trapped by the exe. Not all CTDs have an error.
    That's quite disquieting...

What happens in the battle where you get the CTD? Is it a siege battle and if it is how many armies get involved?
    My CTD does not happen during the battle, but after that, in the campaign map, when i switch turn to the following one. It was not a siege, and was fought on the desert against the seleucids, one army of about 3000-3200 men (mine) against two (theirs) of about 3000-3400 men in total. There were at least 6000 people on the battlefield. However it wasn't the first battle of these dimensions i fought during that campaign.

Trevi's Avatar Laetus

I found out how to get rid of the CTD. Since I was playing with every setting put to high/very high i tried to lower each one of them to the minimum and end the turn with the "supposed-buggy-save", and the game carried on with no crashes. I'm trying to put the settings to the maximum again and see if the CTD still occurs. Thank you brusilov for your interest to my case.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

The one thing to remember with this mod is that the engine dates back to 2004/2005. The PC you are using should be good enough for this at the highest settings. However, as it's an odld game engine it's not making the most of your CPU (R:TW only uses a single core) or GPU (there are many features on your HD5670 that the game will not use). So, it's going to be a compromise what settings you use.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Trevi's Avatar Laetus

The compromise is not a problem, i just wanted to know how to go through the crashing. As a matter of fact the autosave saved the game at the crucial moment, after the battle, thus maintaining its result. I'm going to put my settings to the maximum again . However the cpu is old it's singlecore, the gpu is recent instead. Thanks again for your help.

Trevi's Avatar Laetus

These CTDs are quite annoying...during my armenian campaing i still found several crashes but i got rid of them using the method i found out...during one of them a seleucid familiar was invisible, he and his army...i became crazy to avoid the CTD that occurred at every turn switch, since he was laying siege to a city of mine...i still do not know how...the biggest problem happens with my Cimbrian campaign since after having conquered the city called "alanland" the games suddenly closes even though i lower every setting...

Trevi's Avatar Laetus

Using the cheat toggle_fow i found out that it is during the belgae's turn, after they move their fleet, that the game crashes...i tried to kill the admiral but the cheat does not work so i'm stuck...any help would be appreciated...

Trevi's Avatar Laetus

it's not their fleet...i moved it in the middle of the mediterranean and after the move the game does not crash...it does when the belgae try to move troops from their capital...i also started a third cimbri campaign and it crashed again don't know why...No one has any idea?