Thread: The old MTW character system

Valentin the II's Avatar Primicerius

Default The old MTW character system

I rimember that in the old days evry captain was an individual character and you could promote enyone to become a king and evryone could betray you (not just royalty).
    This system was abit confusing but once I got used to it I liked it very much, and I was very disapointed wen I descoverd that it was abcent in RTW.
    Now Im wondering if this system will make a retern in M2:tw.
    What do you sink?
    Last edited by Valentin the II; March 13, 2006 at 06:29 AM.
    Born to be wild - live to outgrow it (Lao Tzu)
    Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

Faenaris's Avatar Son of Dorn

I also loved the old MTW system. But, I have this feeling it will be more like RTW. It will not be called "Adoption" though. But, I strongly hope the old system comes back.
    Son of Acutulus, member of The House of the Wolf / Signature by King Mong

I don't have a problem with captains being left out as developping characters in RTW. They added little to the gameplay and got repetitif.
    and you could promote enyone to become a king and evryone could betray you (not just royalty).
    This is cool though. I wonder, didn't BI add loyalty of some kind? How did this work?
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Vorenus's Avatar Libertus
    south carolina(want to be in eroupe either Irland or germany)

the roman empire's got the loyalty, oddly on familey members were the people that got loyalty.
    I liked the MTW charchter system as well, everyone was a general and an indivual.

"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the
    battlefield will think hard before starting a war."
    -Otto Von Bismarck

"To Be defeated and not submit, is victory ; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."

"Ich bin gewöhnt in der Münze wiederzuzahlen in der man mich bezahlt."
    -Otto Von Bismarck
    translation "I am accustomed to pay men back in their own coin."

A King may move a man, a father may claim a son, but remember that even when those who move you be Kings, or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus." Or that, "Virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

I liked the MTW way. I always found it amusing to take a loyal peasant unit, promoting the leader to the king of Rome and chancelor, and then put him in charge of a large army of disloyal Gothic knights and Italian Infantery.

What do you sink?
    At the moment refreshing coca cola heh couldn't resist it.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

GVP's Avatar Miles

Sounds like a good sistem. Defenetly better than then in RTW. I hope they include it.

That's not the way MTW's heirs worked. You couldn't promote non-family members to be in line to become faction leader. You could assign governors and titles, but they did not become part of the succession. I preferred the MTW system of governors to RTW's.

Did you type that with your eyes closed Valentin?

"Non, je n'ai point de réponse à faire à votre général que par la bouche de mes canons et de mes fusils."
    "No, I have no answer for your general than by the mouths of my canons and rifles,"

-Louis de Buade de Frontenac, Governor of New France

liam_bleu's Avatar Laetus
    Virsare Village, Bago Aplaya, Davao City, Philippines

Default I have to agree

i have to agree that the original general/captain character sytem was great..
    what i really love is the generals and characters from history..
    Like Edward III & Lord Mortimer for the English in the Late period..
    El Cid for the Spaniards in the early period.. (my personal favorite)
    Batu Khan of the Golden Horde..

what i dont like though is that its kinda frustrating seeing a 4 star captain being assigned to a peasant unit..
    i remember El Cid to be commanding a town militia.. with all his 5 command..

and the character dont build up stars that fast like in RTW..

_GunneR_'s Avatar Civis

I just hope it's all more complex and the generals can be moved from one unit to another. I don't prefer one system of the governors over the other but i didn't like that the governor of rome ( in mtw) could be in egypti like in rtw how it's the general in the province

Valentin the II's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Obershutze
    Did you type that with your eyes closed Valentin?
    Kinda, it was early in the morning.
    And anyway I have spelling mistakes in all 5 languages I speak, So no beegy .

That's not the way MTW's heirs worked. You couldn't promote non-family members to be in line to become faction leader. You could assign governors and titles, but they did not become part of the succession. I preferred the MTW system of governors to RTW's.
    You could asign them to be kings of distant provinces.
    There were differnt titles.
    Born to be wild - live to outgrow it (Lao Tzu)
    Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

They were not kings, they were governors. They were not in the succession although they could revolt (as could all troops.)

liam_bleu's Avatar Laetus
    Virsare Village, Bago Aplaya, Davao City, Philippines

yeps.. the old system was great..

all you need to do is find some captain from your army and see if his acumen was high..
    and when you find someone who is.. give him an office/title or something.. so that he can further increase his acumen..

back then.. you dont have problems looking for governors for there were plenty of theem to go around..
    in RTW.. i always have to sacrifice my faction leader because he almost always has the highest acumen..
    i dont like the idea of sacrificing some a good general, just because i lack governors..