Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Silius and Poplicola - 481AVC

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Consulate of Silius and Poplicola - 481AVC

Lepidus stands

"Senators, we are missing a rather concerning item here. Why did the Consul draw the entire garrison of a border town in a time of war? Was this his best judgement, to remove all soldiers from a town under threat while at the same time drastically increasing the tax burden? I do not imply any foul play on the Consul's part, but his decision is mystifying - surely some of the lesser levies would have been enough to keep the peace and put down the riots before they escalated! Is it any wonder that things got out of hand?

We must ask, why did the Consul allow this to happen?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius thought that he knew why.

I am only guessing here.. but his ambition to gain glory in the battlefield is probably a much stronger one than to serve the purposes of Rome.

He addressed the Curia:

We will question him when he is here. It is foul play to tell foul tales behind his back, when he is not here to answer to them.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Tiberius nodds with approval to Falvius' words.

I agree. We should not make assumptions until the consul returns. On my part, I accept some guilt here, because it was my plan to raise the taxes to highest possible. But I did not foresee the town to be left ungarrisoned.

I'd say the fault lies with the Quaestor,who's motion to raise the taxes gave the Samnites reason to rebel,the sudden absence of a Garrison in Arpi was simply an opportunity to assemble such a large force.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"Tribune, instead of pointing blame at someone why don't we agree that it is a collective blame. We voted for the motion, at least, most of us did. We made a mistake...wither the mistake was an actual mistake or a devious ploy..we won't know for some time." Imperious struck hard against the Plebeian who had forsaken the People for some far-fetched self created ideology of Roman glory.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

A "devious ploy"?Now who is throwing false accusations around the senate?

Flavius was amazed on how much trash this man managed to create.

It would be better for all of us if the Tribune would stop acting like a child.

Jingo Eugene's Avatar Vicarius

Appius Rufius Crispus, a normally quiet member of the Senate, stands and speaks.

"And tell me fellow senators, what good does insults and blaming do to fix the situation? The rebellion may be crushed, but what are the odds that it won't happen again? Once people have the idea of open rebellion in their minds, it takes time for it to pass away, not a single battle. This is why I say we simply do not make the same mistake again, keep a small levy garrison and lower the taxes some to keep the people content until the idea of rebellion is off the streets and life is back to normal. Then we can play the blame game with one another."
    Last edited by Jingo Eugene; June 17, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

If we are to have small levy garrisons, I suggest we make sure the garrisons are not recruited in the cities they are defending. Garrison them with Romans or men from loyal cities, to insure we do not put arms in the hands of potential rebels.

A letter arrives bearing Lurco's seal:

From the stylus of Spurius Horatius Lurco: Noble Conscript Fathers,

I send this from the city of Arpi, recently brought back to order by our esteemed Consul Lucius Valerius Poplicola. Upon receiving word of Arpi's rebellion during my travels I turned about and hastened there in order to help whatever way I could, whether serving alongside the Consul or in an attempt to sway the populace to peace through words. I arrived to find the city returned to its previous level of contentment, Poplicola had crushed the rebellion and reasserted our dominance. That is where I now reside whilst the Consul holds Taras under siege.

My request is this Senators, my movement to Arpi has forestalled my journey a great deal, were I to wait until Taras falls under our occupation it would be possible for myself to requisition a merchant ship and make the crossing to Greece in a quicker time than were I to travel in any other way. I therefore ask the Senate to grant me this in the pursuit of peace and greater trade.

Fortuna smile on us my friends,

Spurius Horatius Lurco
    Senator of the Republic of Rome

The messenger awaits the response of the Senate to return with orders.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Bjorn's Avatar Praefectus

I agree with Crispus. The throwing of venom amongs ourselves will only delay what must be done. Let us speak of "faults" and "Blames" after we resolve the problem concerning the rebels. Said Cornelius, also one not to meddle to much in Senate "battles", but who always cared dearly for rome, and saw in this waste of breath a great delay in what had to be done swiftly. I believe the rebel leaders should be trialed, and their voices heard by the men of the Senate. This may give us some insight into the minds of these men, which would help us prevent other rebellions. Then they must be baned from our lands or, if the senate so thinks best, executed... The people should not be harmed, but treated with compassion. We must understand the rebellion, and secure the people's happiness so it does not happen again. Those are my thoughts... What say you, noble house?

Oh Jupiter's balls,is there a single man in this senate or are they all women?

The only thing we need to understand about these rebels is the colour of their blood!These Samnites openly rebelled against Rome,they were shown far more mercy then they deserved and yet you start talking about "mercy","understanding" and "compassion".This is foolish talk I would expect from a woman,not a senator of Rome.

I agree that something needs to be done to prevent a resurgence,but I feel it would be far better to reward the loyal then pardon those who have betrayed us.

So you say that the history of Madre Roma was built by women and fools, good senator? Said Cornelius with a stern look in his eyes. For if you looked up anything of our great history you would know that it was through bravery in war and compassion in victory that our great and honored ancestors have made the foundations of our great nation. It was by strength aligned with compassion that our ancestors conquarded many lands, and maintained them faithful to us afterwards. So, If you truelly believe what I said was of a "woman and a fool", then you mean to say that what our ancestors thought were thoughts of fools and women?

With this Cornelius hit the senator with the power of tradition, for no one in their right mind would criticize the ancestors who made Rome the great city it is.

Jingo Eugene's Avatar Vicarius

"I agree with Tiberius, for while we must punish the rebels, we must not punish the Samnites who remained loyal. We would only be giving them reason to harbor hatred and a reason to continue rising against us. Showing our strength but lining it with compassion and mercy is the way to acquire loyalty of conquered peoples. Tell me, would you remain loyal to an oppressive lord who beats you after questioning him, or a stern but merciful master who will discipline you, but lets you understand your mistake before he makes you meet the rod?"
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

I believe it was I who said we should reward the loyal and punish the traitors? Senator Cornelius would rather we made friends with them and so encourage further uprisings.As for his desire to claim intimate knowledge of our ancestors to protect himself from criticism,it simply proves he can't back his argument with facts.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Much like you eh Caldius?
    *The tribunes hypocrisy amused Spurius.*

That is a matter of perspective Scaeva,though I would like to hear your opinion on the matter.

Flavius looked at Caldius. His face was calm and observant, and just a blink in his eyes showed that he was amused.

Caldius, your job is to protect the plebeians the best you can. You are instead trying to convince us to slaughter them. What kind of a tribune are you?

A Plebeian is a Roman Citizen who is not a Patrician,could you please inform me of when the Samnites,Italians and Greeks became Roman citizens?

I do not cower behind my ancestor, Tribune. I find in them much that could be considered the ideal Roman Citizen. Said Cornelius. Now his gaze was not stern, but seeming almost as of pitty. The tribune is losing all support he could possibly have with each word he said, but still seemed relentless in shoveling up his own grave. And still you do not answer my question. Do you, or do you not, consider our ancestor’s actions that of “women and fools”?