Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Silius and Poplicola - 481AVC

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Consulate of Silius and Poplicola - 481AVC

Flavius eyed the fighting senators angrily, and said:

Cut the fighting, senators. Are you men or children?
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Tiberius stands to speak. He turns toward the Tribune who vetoed all of his motions, but one which was ammended by Poplicola...

"Tribune, I am deeply saddened by your decision to veto the two motions. After all even some of your plebeian colleagues have voted to be merciful towards the inhabitants of those cities.

You represent the common people, tribune. Ask yourself if they really want to be vengeful. We have all suffered in this war, but show some reason in your decision! You are letting a decision to save or kill tens of thousands of innocent souls in the hands of our consul. I am not saying that he is not an honorable man, but what will his decision be when pressed by his men - thirsting for blood, pillage and rape. If slaughter happens, the stain will be on your name, tribune, not on the consuls. How will the common people react to the news that their tribune has vetoed the motion which would save several innocent common people of another civilized city? You should know that the plebs are even more superstitious than the most pious priests!

I've heard words of many good men, spoken in these last couple of days. And I am proud to share this senate chamber with such men."

With his last words, he looked at Lepidus and Flavius. Maybe an alliance can be made with these two ...

It matters little to me how I am judged by the people,what matters to me is what is best for Rome!

And myself...

As I have said the final decision rests with Consul Poplicola,who has assured me that justice will be served,if you are concerned about what he plans to do with the City you should send him an official request to clarify his response,though I doubt he would appreciate the implication that the senate does not trust him to make the correct discision without being corrupted by interests other then what is best for Rome...

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

*Spurius chuckled*
    Dear Caldius, when did I ever say I wished mercy on the traitors. The fact is I wish the opposite. However, the difference between you and I is that I respect the descision of the senate, whereas you will block it whenever the senates and your wills do not meet. Something of this bearing should not be decided by one man, be him Consul or Tribune, because it does not only effect the soldiers and the city, but our diplomatic and economic situation for generations to come. That is why we have the senate, this hall of wise men to make sure the right decision is made.
    Last edited by Nota'; June 16, 2011 at 06:06 AM.

The difference between you and I,Spurius Geminus Scaeva,is that I risk my reputation to insure that Justice is served,you are a leach that clings to the groin of whatever animal unwittingly bathes itself in your fetid pond.

The last resort of a man who knows he is wrong, baseless insults and accusations.
    *Spurius sat back down smiling, wondering to himself how even the plebs elected such a fool*

Flavius, angered by Caldius's outburst, turned to him:

We do not approve such speech in this noble Curia, Tribune. Even if you are a tribune, you do not have the rights to insult other senators only because they disagree with you.

His voice was cold and slightly mocking, so that it sounded extremely annoying to the listener's ear.

I insult him, not because he disagrees with me,but because he is a hypocrite whose only desire is to see the status quo ante retained,he cares nothing for this Senate or the men in it.

Flavius was shocked by the man's stupidity. Who speaks aloud of his opinions with nothing to back them up with in the Curia hall?

You have a right for opinion, but i would advise you to keep them to yourself. Why are you talking your opinions so openly? Do you perhaps have some proof to back up your words, or are they just another set of empty insults what we have so many times heared from you?

He sat down. 'This man is truely stupid. Gods know what is this man's fate... it may go a way or two..'

I find honesty in short supply,perhaps that will improve when Poplicola returns,but for now I shall try to do what I can to cut through the squabbling.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Imperious was stunned, the Tribune of the Plebeians had just stated that he was responsible for Rome and not the people. "Tribune you have disdained the honor of the Plebeians by stating that their interest are little next to Romes." Imperious turned quickly to the Tribune and with much choler spoke against a fellow Plebeian. "The People are Rome Tribune. That is how it's been and how it will remain...you have no right to change that." Imperious turned back to the Senate. "Aye, I did call for their slaughter and I will admit that openly in this Curia where men are responsible and act like true men. Traitors and cowards deserve death and any ounce of mercy should be met with a sword."
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Marcus Sempronius smiles weakly. 'Great, that fool can't hold his position like this, even without anyone interfering. Thank the Gods for his incompetence.' Marcus steps up and coughs.

Noble Senators, the Tribune of Plebs has shown what kind of man he is. Not a man of the People, but a man who acts for his own benefit or as he calls it, with great disgust he says "for Rome". Such a thing is not what we expect from a Plebeian Tribune, is it? This man fails to fulfill the task he took upon him. And I ask you Marcus gestures around what do we do with people who fail at their task AND who insult fellow Senators?

Marcus walks back to his seat. 'Let's hope that stirs up the fire a little.'
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus speaks

"Let us not pretend that this matter was not always in the hands of the Consul. The motion vetoed was titled "Senatus Consultum", "advice of the Senate". The Consul was technically allowed to ignore our decree should the situation warrant. However, now is not the time for hurling insults. Let us simply ask our Tribune if he may reconsider the veto, for the good of the people."
    Last edited by Winter; June 16, 2011 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Bjorn's Avatar Praefectus

Cornelius had not manefested himself in no moment until this point. He only observed, agreed and disagreed with the motions as he saw fit, without feeling the need to advocate his reasons. He felt himself inside a pit of snakes, with the Senatores gapping at each other's throughts. He sighed. "What a waste, these men do, of Roma's precious time! Bickering for attention, as children would do!" Thought Cornelius. But the man who seemed to worst was the Tribune of the Plebs. He over all seemed to Cornelius the most vile, for his agressive and self-attention-seeking manner of being. He did not think kindly of the slaughter of inocent people, but felt he did not need to speak it out, since most of the Senatores seemed to agree with him.

OOC: Just voicing that I'm still here, and am paying attention to the Curia It's just that Cornelius isn't much of going into the spot-light to debate when he sees that his own points have already been put by others. Also because I usually dont find much time to post here, and the time it takes for me to read all that you guys wrote so far makes it tireing to reply sometimes xD

"Citizens, I wonder if the Tribune heard the words of Aurelius Lepidus earlier. If his consern is indeed the interest of Roma, then surely he understands that the loyalty of the peoples of Apulia and its cities is of the greatest importance, as is that of Bruttium. Our fathers showed us how this is secured: Through strength in war, and leniency in victory. Now, if we are to believe that the Consul may not recognize this, is certainly is in Romas interest to remind him. Tribune, I implore you, reconsider the veto."

Once again you act as though I have advocated the whole scale slaughter of Taras,I believe they should be punished,and I trust in the Consul's judgement.It is men such as Scaeva and Imperious,who now lead this pathetic charade,who openly wish to see not only the men,but innocent Women and Children suffer death,your anger should be aimed at them,not I.

Indeed I know that the People are Rome,but just as the Senate acts for the greater good of all of Rome,I act for the greater good of the people.
    Last edited by War lord; June 16, 2011 at 03:36 PM.

Now now Caldius, we both know I didn't say that. I am of the opinion that the women and children become slaves and help relieve our current deficit. However, Taras and Rhegion are no longer the issue you and I are discussing, we are discussing your selfish, irresponsible blocking of the senate's will.
    *Spurius wondered to himself why he felt the need to defend himself against a man so desperate he is creating evidence against him.*

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Marcus rushes back into the Senate house after attending urgent buisness at his Domus...

SENATORS! I come with urgent news! The population of Arpi has rebelled against the Senate and People of Roma! Shocked explanations of disbelief emanate from the chamber, The garrison there was incoporated into the army of Consul Poplicola, and thus the residing Samnites saw their chance for rebellion. They created a large army, but the good news is that the Consul has utterly crushed these rebellious scum in a quick battle outside the city.

Because of this, i think our policies regarding our allied settlements and all domains under the SPQR needs to be rethought, to prevent this from happening again.

I say that at all times, a garrison must be implace in all our major cities. And also I move that the Quaestor, or a Senator picked by the body, be ordered to visit each settlement every year to insure their loyalty.

Please share your thoughts on the matter...

Marcus looks around as the Senators take in this news...

Taedius Bubulcus shakes his bowed head and rubs his forehead. He thinks to himself, And to think that I not long ago upheld the loyalty of the allies...

"I concur with the notion of permanent garrisons. They should consist of citisen soldiery, as such can be levied and spared.

"As for visiting magistrates... Yes, but it must be done with tact. One should think that this event raises understanding among the allies for our increased suspicion, but we must not create a situation that can increase further unrest."

Flavius shook his head.

We could simply lower taxes in that particular settlement, instead of having to bind a portion of our troops to guard it. We are already short on men. We must use every one of them to achieve our goal.