Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Silius and Poplicola - 481AVC

Default Re: Consulate of Silius and Poplicola - 481AVC

Lucius sat up slightly and tilted his head downward and to the side, taking a much darker tone in posture but keeping a light voice. Hmm, it would be more sporting if they remained separate...

I decline, I believe that the legions should remain separate and assault both cities at once. We cannot appear weak at the end of a war, so let the world know as we do that this is just mopping the entrails of their past advances. We shall take each fortress on with equal numbers and emerge victorious. I ask for the Taras command if that's deemed appropriate for this senate. It would be a shame to lose the senior consul in such a dangerous command.

They seem not worthy of Praetorian action with merged armies but with them separate...there's some glory to be had...excellent
    . Lucius continued to fiddle with his coin in one hand and drank some water in the other to clear his throat, all without losing time as the coin clinked between his fingers.
    Last edited by dragoon47; June 17, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

I agree with the Praetor, the armies should be merged, but I will say that Poplicola should command at Taras, nodding to the Consul, whilst Consul Silius should command at Rhegion. Marcus believed that it would be wise to equate the glory gained by the Consuls, by dividing the command between targets, it is less likely that one Consul should come out of the war far superior to the other.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Tiberius stands to answer the consul. He may be new to politics, but he is no fool when it comes to money. As he looks at Lucius, he notices the small coin in his hands. "Obsessed with money, is he now?", he thinks to himself and smiles.

"Consul Lucius. You may be wise and noble in military matters... perhaps you are even right when it comes to taxation policy I proposed. But you are a fool if you think it shouldn't come to be. We are at war, senators. The army has to be paid. It has to be fed. Where do you suppose the money that pays all this comes from? It is from taxes, dear consul."

He turns toward the tribune.

"You, who represent the people - tell me. Am I speaking words of foolishness? How many plebeians are in the legions? Do you not agree they deserve to be paid? Well, to do that we need to raise the taxes. At least until the war in the south is over."

Gazing over the senate chamber, he continues.

"Some will argue that with our normal tax rate, we could pay the wages of our soldiers. I agree - we can. But we will have almost no money left. How long do you think our Allies will be content, when their money is being spent on our legions? The constructions across our lands are necessary to keep the people busy and content.

Thus, I agree with the motion on building roads. They will help with our army's ability to march faster, not to mention the larger trading capabilites."

He turns back to the consuls.

"I suggest raising taxes to highest possible in every city, except for Ariminum and Capua. First, because the city isn't fully under our control, second, because the population of Capua could potentially begin to leave the city. They are the second largest city in Italy and our allies, but it wasn't long ago that they crossed swords with our legions.

At the same time, the disbandment of our fleet in Arretium would give us additional money each year. With all the money we would have in the next couple of months, we could bring our legions back to full strength AND complete our building projects ...

Thus I put forward this motion:

(ooc: I don't know how to name it, so if anyone would be so kind to do so ...)

1. The taxes at: Rome, Arretium and Arpi are to be set to very high, until the end of the war with Epeiros
    2. The taxes at: Capua and Ariminum are to be set to high, until the end of the war with Epeiros
    3. The fleet at Arretium will be disbanded
    I ask you to support this motion."

Tiberius sits down calmly. He believes this is the best option the republic has in order to prosper. Besides - the high taxation will only be in place until the end of the war ...

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius listens to the Quaestor's speech, his eyebrows raising and falling.

I support your motion, Quaestor. It is your task to keep our coffers filled, and your only.

He gave a quick look towards the Quaestor.
    Last edited by Maiar93; June 14, 2011 at 04:30 AM.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Tiberius stands to answer to Lucius' proposal.

I do not agree with our consul on the matter of dividing our legions to attack different targets at the same time. By doing so, we risk losing men. I strongly recommend we support the proposal of our colleague, senator Marcus. I think the armies should be merged and led by one consul for each campaign. We do not need both consuls absent from Rome. I agree that consul Poplicola should assault Taras, while consul Silius should punish the rebels in Rhegion.

"Honorable Quaestor, if I may..."

Taedius Bubulcus rises with a stirn face.

"First, let me say that I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the situation and your suggestions for carrying it through. But just so we have one detail clear before us: What exactly do you mean by 'the end of the war with Epeiros'? This formulation seems very open to me."

So do the cities in question. We have not the soldiers to keep the populaces of those territories in line. We can end enemy presence in Southern Italy with our current funds and yet he wishes more war brought on by civil strife. If it is the will of the senate then I support the proposal wholeheartedly. More enemies for me to vanquish I suppose, though I could think of a better waste of our proud citizen soldiers...you win this round Quaestor.

Lucius turned his eyes to Taedius Bubulcus, I guess he doesn't look as Greek as his name suggests. I would assume he means when we treat with the Epeirotes after we kick them out of Italy, force Magna Graecia to submit and line the roads with rotting corpses. Not necessarily in that order of course.
    Last edited by dragoon47; June 17, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Flavius stood up, addressing the whole Curia

The Senate has agreed. Now, more action, less speech! Our Consuls can now go and fulfill their tasks.

"Mhm, mhm, as I thought..."

Looking at the floor, seemingly distracted, Taedius Bubulcus shakes his head and mutters. Then, as if reaching a conclution, he looks up and around at the assembly with a mild smile.

"Indeed! The honorable Praetor is quite right, quite right. First things first."

He sits.

"Senator Taedius - by saying until the end of the war with Epeiros, I have left this decision in this senate's hands. If it is your choice to continue the war after Taras has been taken, then so be it. If the senate decides to engage in peace talks with Pyrrhus, then this law would be terminated when a formal ceasefire is declared. Then, another, more appropriate policy would be put forth by the quaestor in office. I have simply stated that the law is only put in action because of the war with Pyrrhus. It is not a long term solution ..."

Tiberius turns then to consul Poplicola.

"The result of this war is in your, and your colleague's hands. If it will result in lining the roads with rotting corpses, it will be so because of your decisions or inability to succesfully end the campaign. Do not put the blame on my shoulders, consul.
    Last edited by Rex Basiliscus; June 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Sextius walks in to the curia

"By the gods what's with all the plebs" he says to him self Greetings my fellow. senators I'm glad to be here as this is my first counsulate

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

OOC: Pharoh, I'll treat that thought as audiable :L, so apologies if it was in your head alone
    *The nearby Spurius leans in, and addresses Sextius*
    Is this your first term in the senate Senator? This problem has been getting worse and worse for decades! I for one would give my right arm to see the end of it. I remember a time when these halls did not reek of manure and spices, for these plebian merchants and farmers are not pleasent on any of the senses.

*Spurius listens to Poplicolas frequent mutterings and observed his prancing. 'Dear gods' he thought, 'I rarely meet a man that I am this inclined to dislike. However, with things going as they are, a powerful Patrician may become a rare thing, and it would be counter productive to oppose them. Nay, better unite, perhaps finally evict these Plebian squatters, then deal with those amoungst ourselves'*
    Last edited by Nota'; June 14, 2011 at 04:10 PM.

Lurco stood to address on the matter of the trade agreements once more now it seemed the military strategy had been decided on. He had little care for who led the forces or the paltry glory that would be achieved from the victory. Glory, Lurco mused to himself, such an impalpable thing when compared to the pleasures that I hold at my disposal.

In the respect of the ending of the war with Epeiros, the envoy sent to Greece should be given the authority to sue for peace with Phyrrus. It is a lengthy travel from Roma to the the shores of the East, plenty of time for Poplicola and his colleague to removes his soldiers from Taras. A prudently placed diplomat in close proximity could capitalise on the devastation the enemy will no doubt feel due to the crushing victory our noble Consuls shall, I am sure, achieve. Lurco inclined his head towards the two, Whilst they are reeling we shall offer them peace and trade, how could they refuse when faced with such magnanimity from their betters?

I once more volunteer myself to act as this envoy if it is deemed within the interests of the Senate, if not I am sure another suitable will be found and I am loathe to leave my beloved city unless the Senate believe I am best suited to the job.

Lurco sat back down, his eyes lingering on Poplicola; now there was a showman. An amusement, but a potentially deadly one, liked a coiled viper he was. He would need to be watched if not allied with. And perhaps even then.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Flavius gazed towards Lurco.

And for what purpose does a senator want to be sent in front of a deadly warrior-king who hates romans?

Lurco returned the gaze, a grin playing across his features,

You would rather send a slave and show weakness to them Corvenus? We are Romans and we fear to tread nowhere.

Besides, I have had experience in negotiating trade contracts, I feel that I am adequate for the job. It is however, the Senate's will that dictates who should go of course.

Flavius grinned back, saying:

Yet I don't think any senator will be right for the job.. we need an embassy which is only loyal to commands of the Senate. Sending a slave will be out of question. The embassy will be a hand-picked group of the most courteous patricians in Rome.

Smiling, he said:

Indeed it is the Senate which dictates matters of Rome.

Flavius stood up, addressing the whole senate:

I think we should vote for this matter!

Shall we send senator Lurco to deal with the negotiations with Pyrrhus, or shall we send a neutral embassy which is loyal only to the Senate?

Last edited by Maiar93; June 14, 2011 at 02:25 PM.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

I say send Lurco. He is willing,and when it comes to peace and war, no king will give a damn about the emissaries number or courteousy. It will save us time which we would have to spend hand-picking men.

Lurco scowled, sarcasm tinted his voice, Forgive me if this was not your intention Praetor, but to me your motion implies that I am not loyal to the Senate and people of Rome. You will of course understand if I take this as a slight to my honour and request that you perhaps change the wording of your motion. Just to assuage my mind of course.

The grin played at the corners of Lurco's mouth once more as he attempted to bait the Praetor to frustration.

Flavius kept motionless, and he was still smiling.

Then i shall change the wording, senator.

He swept the smile off his face and said:

It was not my intention to imply that you were untrustworthy or disloyal to Rome, rather you are the opposite, like every senator here. What i meant was that the embassy would be under the direct control of the Senate, not any particular senator.

Lurco finally allowed the grin to finally cover his face, the jowls of his cheeks moving with it,

If I may perhaps embellish your proposal a little Praetor? I feel the specifics of the mission are important to all those here and indeed the limitations to my negotiations should be set in stone. I henceforth propose the following:

Lex Lurco De Tractatus Orientalis

I.
    Senator Spurius Lurco is to be given leave to travel to the East to attempt to gain trading agreements with both the Koinon Hellanon and the Makedonian peoples.

II. Following word of the conquering of Taras the aforementioned Senator is at liberty to sue for peace with Epeiros and further establish trade if possible.

The mission is solely the acquisition of trading agreements and a ceasefire with our Eastern enemies. If the Senate wishes me to make further advances on these peoples it may inform me at its leisure. What say you to this Senators?