Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taron Quinn's Unit Project - TQUP Reskin Pack (updated for DLV 6.2)

TaronQuinn's Avatar Semisalis

Default Taron Quinn's Unit Project - TQUP Reskin Pack (updated for DLV 6.2)

TQUP

Taron Quinn's Unit Project

Reskin Pack

This is the first in what will hopefully be a complete overhaul of Deus Lo Vult's unit rosters. This is the Reskin Pack, which reskins 70+ units of the Middle Eastern factions (Turks, Egypt, Hedjaz, Armenia, KoJ) as well as several mercenary units around the map.

It utilizes numerous unit textures from Broken Crescent and some from Rusichi:TW, including upgraded models for nearly half of the 70 units. Some changes were made to weapon stats and use to reflect the new models, but generally all units stay the same. I also created new officers for many units, and most Mid-East units now have appropriate officers, particularly faction-specific units like Azabs and Urban Militia.

For: Deus Lo Vult 6.2 with BB
    ***Included in the latest BB version as of 3.02 and up***

Instructions: Download the linked data folder and unzip it into your mods/DLV_ext folder, overwriting any files.

For BB pre-3.02 DOWNLOAD: TQUP Reskin Pack 1.01 for BB

UPDATED 1/22/2012 For DLV 6.2 DOWNLOAD: TQUP Reskin Pack 1.01 for DLV 6.2

List of Units Reskinned:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

European, Misc.
    Cossack Cavalry
    EE Cavalry Militia
    EE Spearmen
    Szekely Horseheads
    Sicilian Muslim Archers
    Skoutatoi Pikemen
    Order Spearmen
    Latinn Crossbow Militia
    Dism. Templar Knights
    Slav Levies
    Shinakan Zorq
    Armount Archers
    Armenian Militia
    Arcity Spearmen
    Armenianh Infantry
    Dismounted Nakharars Lancers
    Aspatak Sergeants
    Nakharars Lancers
    Sepuhhractoi

Mercenaries
    Turkomans_Mercs
    Kwarizmian Cavalry
    Slav Mercenaries
    Balkan Archers
    Armenian Archers
    Bulgarian Brigands
    Crusader Sergeants
    Crusader Knights
    Dism Crusader Knights
    Mutatawwai'a
    Mercenary Spearmen
    Ghazis
    Armenian Cavalry
    Afghan Javelinmen
    Turkopoles
    Sudanese Tribesmen Merc

Islamic
    Kurdish Javelinmen
    Desert Archers
    Bedouin Camel Riders
    Desert Cavalry
    Mamluk Archers
    Mamluks
    Royal Mamluks
    Tabardariyya
    Nubian Archers
    Nubian Spearmen
    Bhevyhr
    Bedouinspearmen
    Berber Spearmen
    Ottoman Infantry
    Turkish Archers
    Dism. Sipahi Lancers
    Turkish Horse Archers
    Sipahis
    Arab Cavalry
    Dism Arab Cavalry
    Sipahi Lancers
    Granadine Lancers
    Sudanese Tribesmen
    Abbysini Tribesmen
    Turkish Javelinmen
    Afarr Cam Spearmens
    Tuareg Camel Spearmens
    Sudanese Javelinmen
    Muslim Swordsmen
    Hashishim
    Arab Guard
    Abid al' Shira
    Yemani Warriors
    Janissary Archers
    Janissary Heavy Infantry
    Ghulam
    Dism. Ghulam
    Dism Tuareg
    Jihadi Mutatawwai'a
    ME Levy Spearmen
    Dism Hasham
    Turkomans
    Turkish Cavalry

Detailed Explanation:

I include as many new UIs and unit info cards as I could manage. In cases where the units have several new models for various upgrades, I chose the unit cards and unit info cards from among the various models to best portray the character and role of the unit, rather than only its first model or its latest upgrade. If any are missing, please let me know.

My goal in this project was not to attain historical skins for each and every unit, although I tried to choose the skins that best fit my imagination of how particular units should look like in battle. Also, I noticed that some units just didn't make sense. Sudanese Tribesmen and Sudanese Tribesmen Mercs looked the same...and also used the same model as the Hedjaz Abbysinian Auxillaries! Ditto for Turkomans and Turkoman Mercs;same ones for Royal Mamluks and Bedouin Heavy Cavalry, and even Muslim Swordsmen and Hashishim used similar (if not identical) battle models. So I decided to make each and every one of those units unique onto itself, mostly utilizing the superb textures from Broken Crescent.

As mentioned above, in some instances I changed a unit's weapon stats. In the case of the Turkoman Mercs, the models I used wielded maces as their secondary weapon, so I gave them mace stats and an AP attribute. This also served the purpose of making them more unique and functional, since recruiting Turkoman Mercs or Turcopoles in Asia Minor now offers more difference than just price and upkeep: Turkomans can dish out a bit more damage when in melee, but Turcopoles are tougher overall. Some units, like the Afghan Javelinmen mercenaries, now use spears as a secondary weapon, making them more distinct from Kurdish Javenlinmen, and a viable anti-cavalry threat as well.
    In the case of the Tuareg Spearmen, which is only available to the Rebels (ditto for Sudanese Tribesmen for whatever reason), I felt that the Lamtuna Spearmen and Berber Spearmen were sufficient as spear-armed, North African infantry, so I made Tuareg Spearmen into Tuareg Swordsmen. Still only available to rebels, but in future they can be made a merc, an AOR unit, or just made recruitable for the Moors.

In another instance, the ME LEvy Spearmen, despite using a Middle Eastern unit skin held over from vanilla, they are only available to rebels and the Mongols. So, easy fix, give them a Rusichi Mongol spearmen model. Voila! A basic Mongol spear unit. You'll find many instances of such choices throughout my work, and feel free to point out any that catch your attention or even any that you disagree with for any reason.

Screenshots:

Kwarzimian Cavalry

Kurdish Javelinmen

Tabardayyia

Nubian Spearmen

Mutatawwai'a

Abid al Shira

Afarrr Auxillaries (renamed 'Bisharryan Camel Spearmen')

Ottoman Infantry

Mamluk Archers

Tuareg Spearmen (now 'Tuareg Swordsmen')

Berber Spearmen

Armenian Garrison Spearmen

Armenian Archers

Turkopoles

Arab Guard

Yemani Warriors

Afghan Javelinmen

ME Levy Spearmen (Mongol Levy Spearmen)

Dismounted Ghulams ug0

Dismounted Ghulams ug1

In game shot of the UI

Another in-game shot

Turkish officer

Credit for all skins go to their respective creators, from Broken Crescent and Rusichi.

If you find anything that doesn't work or causes problems, please let me know ASAP and I will fix it as best I can.

Enjoy the new experience!

TQ

Future 'Packs' will consist of new rosters for Novgorod and Kiev, reformed rosters for the Turks and Kingdom of Jerusalem, assorted Middle Eastern and European unit expansions/swaps, and an entire Area of Recruitment system using a mix of existing and new units.
    Last edited by TaronQuinn; January 22, 2012 at 05:49 PM.

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Taron Quinn's Unit Project - TQUP Reskin Pack

nice to see that u work again.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

awesome

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

would be nice if the units from hungary you did in Chansons de Geaste made a reappearance

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Really great work, TQ!

KR153's Avatar Semisalis

Finally! This closes another gap. Looking forward to see them...
    Muslim faction were always underrepresented (graphically) THX a lot!
    +rep
    NIE WEDDER SLAAV VUN ROM!

kaiser1993's Avatar Senator

Sounds good, downloading straight away.
    +rep

sounds great - downloading it now

Great mod - the new models look awesome.

But I found a little bug: the mounted mamluk archers cause a crash if they have armor-upgrades.

EDIT: And the dismounted Ghulams (Egypt) get back their old vanilla skins if they get an armor-upgrade.
    Last edited by Mephisto-X; June 12, 2011 at 09:09 AM.

@Mephisto-X, thanks! Exactly the kind of bug finding I needed; I'll look into it right now and see what i can do to fix it.

Thank you all for your kind words, and I hope you are all enjoying the experience. Let me know any additional problems you encounter.

TQ

kaiser1993's Avatar Senator

Got a silver officer to report. The elite axe men, Tabardariyya (or sommat lol) for Egypt. They have silver officer.

Thank you, kaiser.

Here is the updated bmdb that fixes both the Tabardiyya officer and the upgraded Mamluk Archer model. TQUP Reskin - bmdb fix

Keep up with the hunt, there's probably another few bugs in there somewhere.

TQ

Coeur de Lion's Avatar Ordinarius

TQ you are an absolute hero!! You have my most sincere thanks and my rep

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

I haven't had much chance to check stuff out but already some BC replacements for mercs have caught my eye. Excellent work bringing these beautiful units to DLV!

sound great, there are some screenshots somewhere about the maghrebian units?

Great work, looking forward to your next update. If you want to see my ( and my friend ) work : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9TQXMC66 and update for BB
    2.9.04 http://www.gamefront.com/files/20060051/ADAPT.2.9.04.7z
    this is my pack of models and textures from BROKEN CRESCENT and BELLUM CRUCIS (include captains, generals and horses) also this pack contains strat models for busantium, russian factions ( rusichi mod ), muslims, georgia. This pack contains some russian lang. files from text folder you can replace them origin BB files.

P.S. You do very necessary work, good luck

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

very nice work!

Updated with some relevant info. Plenty of screenshots posted. The download file is updated to work with BB 2.9.04 if you haven't updated to BB 3.02 yet, and it should also work with regular DLV 6.2, but I haven't had a chance to check every unit on a separate install yet.

@Rus-Bey, not sure what you mean by Maghrebian units, but a bunch of them are now posted in the first post. If you mean North African, then I've redone nearly all of them, save for some Moors unit I felt were best left alone.

@kela, I will check it out when I get a chance. I have been hoping to utilize some Bellum Crucis textures, but am not aware of what their policy is on allowing their use in other projects. Also, I hope to include some Broken Crescent generals, captains and horses as well, maybe even some of the strat map models.

@Mephisto-X, I fixed the Mamluk Archer bug, but I haven't experienced the Dismounted Ghulam problem. I took the screenshot above of the Dismounted Ghulams just yesterday, and the two new models are working. let me know if you get that problem again, or maybe I need to look if something is changing between Custom Battle and Camapign battles.

TQ

Quote Originally Posted by TaronQuinn View Post
    @Mephisto-X, I fixed the Mamluk Archer bug, but I haven't experienced the Dismounted Ghulam problem. I took the screenshot above of the Dismounted Ghulams just yesterday, and the two new models are working. let me know if you get that problem again, or maybe I need to look if something is changing between Custom Battle and Camapign battles.

Sorry, it was my bad. At the first view the abbasid_dismounted_caliphs_guard (dismounted ghulams with armor-upgrade) looks a little bit like vanilla models (in my opionion). So all works fine, awesome work!

look good, Omani are greats as default North Africans.
    I wish to you perseverance for the next.

PS: Maghreb means "Extrem Occident"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast