Thread: Death Poems

old_dude's Avatar Tiro

Default Death Poems

I am a product of the American public education system. During my schooling years Asian history was pretty much ignored. Unless it dealt with William Perry, WWII, or Vietnam, then it wasn't a subject we were taught. The old 5-7-5 haiku was the only exception. Every time a composition class touched on poetry the haiku was always featured.

Now as I read these 5-7-5 death poems a huge question arises. Why are they all 5-7-5 in English? Are these just the few which have the same syllables in both languages? Are there any linguistic experts out there who would like to explain to me, or anyone else interested, the finer points of the English translations of Japanese poetry?

Furthermore, does any one have examples of haiku that are not 5-7-5 when translated?

My curiosity hopes you all have a nice day.
    Last edited by old_dude; June 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: to edit

Default Re: Death Poems

well can't tell you bout the syllable problem, but check out Road to the Deep North by Matsuo Basho. Basho was one of the most prolific haiku poets ever, and if you look him up you'll see that little to none of his poems translate to a perfect 5-7-5 format.

If you mean the Death Poems in this game, they were all made from scratch by some of the team members, according to a post by a CA representative on the official forums.

If you mean haiku in general, then yes it sometimes happens, but not all that often.

old_dude's Avatar Tiro

Interesting, thank you both.

Did any one happen to notice I called Commodore Perry by the fridge's first name. oops