Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [CitiesXL AAR] City of Itova

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

Default [CitiesXL AAR] City of Itova

The City of Itova

WIP

District In Depth Part 1: Blue Bay

- Introduction
    Blue Bay was the site of the very first settlers of Itova... Situated in the south east of the region between the crystal clear waters of the bay and the lush ridges and valleys of the Aiwa Hills... It has developed quickly into a regional agriculture powerhouse exporting numerous products to the nation...

Blue Bay Looking South West...

Blue Bay Looking East...

- Road Layout
    Initial constuction started with a road transport network, with nationwide links as the key to growth and industry Blue Bay District Council established three main and one secondary links... The main links were constructed using a wide expressway of eight lanes to endeavour to provide quick and efficent transportation for the district well into the future...

The two small islands of Cavelier and Esquire were noted for their prime location and thus were destined to be the future homes of the Bays high society... With this plan the Council agreed upon the nearby Anchor Point to be the centre of the Blue Bay community and thus expressways were built from the location out to the eight lane highway circling Blue Bay...

Before the initial construction of buildings commenced... The council planned numerous roads in the hope to provide a efficent traffic flow for the future community...

Initial Road Layout...

- The Current Blue Bay
    Once the roads were planned and constucted... The community of Blue Bay sprang into life... The farms near the highway developed quickly with more residents moving into Blue Bay to fill the demand for workers on the farms... A small industry base was quickly developed to provide much needed products for the developing agriculture... This small industry with a labour demand of its own further increased the immigration to Blue Bay...

With the growing population... Demand for retail increased and thus Anchor Avenue became the main shopping street for the emerging town... And although small the retail businesses cover a wide range of products and services effectively serving the community...

Anchor Avenue... The main shopping street of Blue Bay...

The citizens of Blue Bay pulled together their resources and thus began contruction of Bay Hall... Built on the main intersection of town the hall effectively serves the community by providing offices for the council and services for the people...

Bay Hall... Build with the love of the community... A local meeting place...

With growth came more needs, more requirements... And thus Noble Park which crosses Anchor Avenue quickly developed into the towns business district as well as housing essential services such as Fire and Police...

Noble Park... Looking towards the intersection with Anchor Avenue...

With offices developing and small high tech industry setting up in the centre of town... Blue Bay was quickly developing into a success story...

The current extend of Blue Bay...

- Blue Bay Statistics

Current Population: 8,500
    Current Income: $8,000

Satisfaction:

Wealth:

Traffic:

- My Notes
    Hi All... I only recently purchased Cities XL via Steam... And after a few unsucessful starts where I think I went to big too soon, I decided to slow down and take it slow with this city... Im not very good at this game but I have been reading around the forums here and learning slowly but surely... I will be taking this city build very slow and I welcome any tips, planning ideas, guidence and imput on how to develop Itova...

My main idea thus far is to take a satelite approach to the city... Meaning that I am planning to establish small communities like my first one above and get them running well before starting another somewhere else on the map... Eventually with growth combining them all together... I live in Auckland NZ and that is essentially how Auckland developed with many satelite towns eventually expanding and combining it the large city it is today...

The map Im using is Rio... I mainly chose this cause it looks cool and it has enough land for me to do what Im planning... I use a few mods etc... One which I guess is kinda a cheat since it allows me to build farms anywhere... But I dont consider that much of a cheat since farms can literally be built anywhere in real life (expect deserts, which this map is not haha)...

Anyway on to the details of Blue Bay... I started slow filling in blocks of land according to demand, I was making a loss for awhile and have only just broke through into the positives now... I blame this on the roading I constructed but its a necessary evil in my mind as its a real pain to do later around an already constructed city... So everyone is pretty happy in Blue Bay at the moment which is a relief for me since my other cities were total disasters haha... You'll notice I have left the water front mostly undeveloped, this is because I plan to eventually develop that into a leisure and tourist area with beaches, entertainment etc perhaps a spinkling of elites... I think this will go well with the luxary large avenue I have built along it...

Traffic isnt much of a problem at the moment, probably cause I only have 8k population haha... The orange bits are farm roads which Ill get round to changing, actually I might redesign the farm area completely with better roads but way less exit points onto the expressway (you'll notice at the moment the farm roads connect to the expressway every 100 metres or so creating numerous intersections... Never a good idea lol)... So any ideas on how to effectively do that would be greatly appreciated...

I also plan for Itova as a whole to not have much Heavy Industry... Ill build small pockets here and there for each community but If I get a massive demand Ill probably import and perhaps even build another city to supply these services...

So all in all this City Showcase is all about me learning the game, so Ill no doubt need much help from all of you here so please please speak up, give me tips, help me decide what to do next etc...

Thanks

Ill leave you with this

Blue Bay at Night...
    Last edited by Stildawn; June 27, 2011 at 06:18 PM.

Default Re: [CitiesXL AAR] City of Itova

Blue Bay Update

- Cavelier Island
    Home of Blue Bays elite... Cavelier Island is small and extremely wealthy with only a few gorgeous mansions and boutique stores...

Cavelier Island... Looking North East...

Cavelier Prep is Blue Bays most exclusive private school were the sons and daughters of only the most wealthy gain the best education money can buy... The school boasts very high grades and an excellent swim team, possibly due to its location across the street from Cavelier Aquatic Centre the Bays most finest swimming centre...

Cavelier Prep... Were rich children receive stately education...

At the North side of Cavelier Island lies Blue Bays finest beach... Corsair Beach which runs along Corsair Parade, locally known for its golden fine sands and sparkling waters which due to a underwater thermal spring just off shore are naturally heated all year round...

View North East from Corsair Beach...

- Esquire Island
    Blue Bays second most wealthy suburb... Esquire Island is a unique suburb boasting not only luxury appartments for executives and elites, but also its very own sheriffs office, fire department, and a world class plastic surgery clinc... The island is also home to the most profitable Hi Tech Businesses of Blue Bay, which technicians and scientists enjoy the pleasant surroundings of island and beach life with only a short trip over Knights bridge into Blue Bay central...

Esquire Island South...

Esquire Island North...

- Tech Bay
    With the influx of wealthy residents drawn by Blue Bays beaches and environment, Blue Bay developed a quickly growing Hi Tech industry... The Blue Bay Council in order to provide land for the every increasing Hi Tech demand recently opened Tech Bay... A Hi Tech industry park along one of Blue Bays fine beaches, Tech Bay is now home to the vast majority of Blue Bays Hi Tech industry in its prime location amoung talls trees and the picturesque beach...

Tech Bay and Beach... Producting very valuable Hi Tech products for local and export...

With the development of Tech Bay... Requirements for high society residences increased dramatically... Thus Nelson Heads was developed into a small executive and elite residential area directly providing employees for the adjacent Tech Bay...

Nelson Heads... Blue Bays third most wealthy suburb...

- My Notes
    With these additions, Blue Bay is basically complete... I may spend sometime redesigning the farm areas, but will probably move onto the next satelite town of Itova... Feedback is welcome
    Last edited by Stildawn; June 27, 2011 at 06:23 PM.

District Indepth Part 2: Aiwa Village

- Introduction
    With the agricultural and hi tech indutries booming in Blue Bay... The Itova Regional Council decided another national link was needed to the south west of Blue Bay thus construction began of a 8 lane link up through the valleys of the Aiwa Hills to the boarder of the region...
    It is here that Aiwa Village has its beginings as the new highway made the hills that were previously inaccessible now available for development... A few residences and road side dinners soon sprung up high in the hills next to the highway... And thus Aiwa Village was born... The village quickly developed from a small grouping of retail used as at pitstop for travellers on the highway to a full fledged village as farmers noticed the hilly terrain as excellent locations for livestock farms... Which in turn lead to an increase of population and the services required to support them...

Aiwa Village Today...

The small village continued to steadily grow as more and more livestock farms were developed... Using the excellent natural drainage of the valleys and ridges to provide firm ground for sheep and cattle farms... The growing agriculture soon attracted industry... Small parts and farming equipment industries spawned in Aiwa Village providing the growing farms with tools and implements... A few Hi Tech businesses started up in the west of the village working closely with farmers they have developed numerous technological advances for agriculture soon becoming world reknowned after their patents were approved and exportation began...

The citizens of Aiwa Village used to assemble at Roddies Farm in the large barn there for public meetings and the sort... But as the town grew this proved unacceptable and thus a village hall was constructed via donations along the highway...

Aiwa Village Hall... The meeting place of the community...

With community pride at an all time high following the opening of the Village Hall... The wives of Aiwa got together with the local council to discuss how to make Aiwa unique... Taking advantage of the massive highway running through the village... They decided to put a unique Aiwa flavour to the village approaches... Over the months over 200 golden trees were planted along the highway approaches to Aiwa Village... This part of the highway was soon known as "The Golden Way' by the residents...

The Golden Way... Entering Aiwa Village From The North...

- Agriculture of Aiwa Village
    The Village grew on the back of the agriculture boom... Vast plots of the hilly countryside was developed into sheep and cattle farms... Providing wool, dairy and meat products at an ever increasing rate... The industries and tech of Aiwa Village developed soley to support the farmland soon became uniquely specilised and sort after all over the world...
    With all the accessible land now developed... Aiwa Village is a national leader for agriculture production...

The Western Farmlands... Looking East Towards Aiwa Village...

- Alderley Edge Hamlet
    With the highway and Aiwa Village giving access to the hills... It wasn't long before the wealthy and elite of Blue Bay and the nation sort after the excellent views to be had on the ridges and valleys of the Aiwa Hills... After prolonged lobbying by the elites backed by their lawyers... Aiwa Village Council began the construction of Alderley Edge, a road running west to east along the ridges of the East Aiwa Hills... Giving access to prime locations for the elites and executives to build their mansions offering vast views of the entire region, which began to spring up along the Edge at great expense...
    At a nook in one of the valleys the Hamlet was developed with roads leading further into the hills and to even greater heights... It was here that the elite of Alderley Edge came for quick shopping, and fine dinning in the hamlets small number of prestigious establishments... The hamlet also boasted a Private School and an Aquatic Centre...

Alderley Edge Hamlet...

From the round about in Alderley Edge Hamlet branched off Point View Drive... Eventually climbing to the highest most tip of the Aiwa Hills... It was here that a young entrepreneur took a great risk in building and opening the "View Estate Luxury Appartments" a medium size appartment complex offering the best views in the area from its mulitple floors...

View from View Estate Appartments... Looking North over Alderley Edge and Blue Bay...

After construction of Alderley Edge was completed... An unknown buyer purchased a large portion of land at the end of the Edge... Residents of Alderley Edge wondered what was happening down the end of the road as numerous construction trucks and heavy machinery disturbed their peace and quiet for many months... Once construction was completed invitations to all the wealthy of the area were delivered... And a grand ball was held for the opening of Royce Estate... Now known to be the newest residence of the Royce family... Itova most wealthy family who own many of the most profitable Hi Tech businesses in both Blue Bay and Aiwa Village...

Royce Estate... One of the largest buildings in the entire region... And all dedicated to one families status...

- Royce Wind Farm
    With the development of Aiwa Village the region faced a new problem... The small powerplant in Blue Bay was struggling to keep up with the growing demand on the circuit... Thus the Itova Regional Council needed to act quickly for a solution... The Royce Family never missing an opportunity spoke up with a plan to develop a large wind farm in the West Aiwa Hills... The plan was quickly approved and construction began... Upon completion adding another source of wealth for the Royce family...

Royce Wind Farm...

- Aiwa VIllage Statistics

Current Population: 7,800
    Current Income (Region wide): -$48,000
    Itova Population: 20,200

Satisfaction:

Wealth:

Traffic:

Extend of Aiwa Village:

- My Notes
    Hi All... This one seemed a bit easier... As in I managed to get people and the industries happy rather quickly this time round... However even with exporting more I have managed to somehow slip back into the negatives once again... I dont know how Im going to crawl out of it... Perhaps devoting more to Hi Tech?

I might expand Aiwa Village a little more in the future, although the terrain is getting more and more difficult to work with as it gets more choppy as it lowers down to the sea but Ill see... I think I can squeeze a bit more out of it haha...

Anyway the details... Once again traffic isnt really a problem although I did have to make all the farm roads into sealed small roads as some were getting a bit too busy for my liking, although Alderley Edge is yellow, though it shouldnt get any worse as Im not building any more down their. However I find it funny since there are many roads like that in my home city and they never get that busy...

Satisfaction of the people is pretty good... Although the extreme tips of Alderley Edge is proving difficult... Point View Drive for one is not 100%... And Ive even tried to increase it by building a school up there (literally serving like two homes lol) and a shop but it hasnt increased so far...
    So any ideas on that? And of course ideas, tips, guidence and feedback is welcome and would be greatly appreciated... Especially some insight into my cash flow as I dont want it to get any worse...

Thanks
    Last edited by Stildawn; June 27, 2011 at 06:27 PM.

BUying this today

Its not bad... Damn hard though... Although maybe I just suck lol.

District In Depth Part 3: Twin Tides

- Introduction
    For years Tallica Beach and Royal Bay had been hidden gems in the region... Blue Bay and Aiwa residents taking the long drive on a beated path at the end of the highway over the hills and down to the surf beaches for a summer retreat... The area locked by the Aiwa Spire a large ridge jutting out from the Aiwa Hills and stabbing north west to the sea had prevented development thus far...
    It wasnt until the turn of the millennium that plans were made by the Itova Regional Council to perhaps develop the area... Many submissions were recieved but only one was chosen... At great cost two tunnels would be built, one directly through the Aiwa Spire from the highway... The other through the hills and cliffs on the west tip of Crescent Bay with a bridge over the mouth of the bay...
    And thus construction began on the massive project... It took 2 years to complete the tunnels and bridge but once completed the journey that used to take over 6 hours on a tiny dirt road... Now took mere minutes on an expansive 8 lane highway...

Aiwa Spire Tunnel... A massive feat of infastructure...

The Cresent Bay Bridge was completed the following year... Although not technically needed yet... The route would serve the region greatly in the years to come...

Cresent Bay Bridge and Tunnels leading to the North side of Tallica Beach...

With the district now open and connected... It wasnt long before eager developers arrived...

- Initial Road Layout
    With the two massive entry routes into the district... The Itova Regional Council set up a new city council... And thus Twin Tides was born... The small group of officials quickly recieved numerous requests for zoning of the land and infastructure required to support development... Thus with a budget of funds from the regional council, construction began in ernest...
    First the 8 lane highway was extended from Aiwa Spire Tunnel in a curve setting up a national link with the neighbouring region... This was quickly followed by an expressway national link... And two large avenue links... Giving the district a healthy connection to the nation...
    Following this the Grand Avenue Ring Road was slowly constructed circling around Crystal Lake providing a quick and scenic drive around the district...
    Numerous smaller roads were constructed before zoning began...

Initial Roads...

- Resort Development
    Following the completion of the roading network... The Twin Tides Council finally opened up areas of land for development... Many international hotel and resort chains were waiting to snap them up... Intercontinental, Wyndham, Marriott and Hilton hotels and resorts were the first to lay foundations... Taking up many of the prime beach side locations...
    The Esplanade the main beach side avenue was quickly developed... The avenue was of a unique design which weaved across the narrow sandy strip along Tallica Beach, in parts providing tourists with direction road side access to the beach, and in other parts providing the grand hotels direct access to the beach...

The Esplanade... Uniquely weaving across the sandy strip giving equal access to both Tallica Beach and Crystal Lake...

As the beach front was developed rapidly so to was the rest of the district... For the first time in Itova Regions history massive skyscrappers were being constructed to satisfy the massive demand of tourists flooding into the district... Twin Tides quickly went from a hidden gem into a classy city...

Twin Tides... A modern class city resort...

The City Council early on took a very liberal approach to city planning... Twin Tides sports endless plaza's connecting the vast majority of the city and creating a epic street culture of shops, performers, and entertainment... Once a fortnight the Plaza Party is held, where shops, clubs, restaurants and venues open all their doors and move the parties out into the plaza's...

- Main Attractions
    As the city grew the demand for greater and more elaborate entertainment and services skyrocketed... Twin Tides was fast becoming a tourist hot spot as development continued at break neck speed...
    Firstly... Tallica Beach and to a lesser extent Royal Bay were developed into a surfers paradice... Offering an excellent surf environment all year round with many bars, clubs, and small shops littering the shore creating an exciting day and night experience...

Tallica Beach... Looking south towards Mars Point and Royal Bay beyond...

Crystal Lake was developed into a calm and relaxing aquatic resort... With many parks and plaza allowing direct access... And many elite hotels and residence directly backing onto it... Numerous water sport ventures were established including sail boat hire, jet skis, paddle boats, water skiing and many more...

Crystal Lake at sunset...

At the south end of Crystal Lake... Crystal View Casino was constructed... The large building quickly become a huge night venue for partying tourists, as it offered not only exciting gaming, but also contained many clubs, bars, music halls and of course... Strip Clubs...

Crystal View Casino... For a night of adventure...

In the centre of the city... Tides Tower was recently constructed... The large tower which took ques in design from New Zealands Auckland Skytower offers a mind blowing view of the city as well as fine dinning and a top of the world night club... The Mile High Club...

Tides Tower... Quite a sight from both street level and top side...

As the city grew so to did its need for government... In keeping with the modern look and feel of Twin Tides... A glass City Hall was constructed by the leading architects...

Twin Tides City Hall... The showing the central intersection of Twin Tides...

Not so much an attraction... But an intergral part of Twin Tides... Industry Point industrial park is hidden away inbetween the clifts and hills on the tip of the Aiwa Spire... The area produces many products with its high density industry... Essential for the development of the region...

A early start to the day at Industry Point...

- Twin Tides Statistics

Current Population: 58,000
    Current Regional Population: 81,000
    Current Income (Regional): -10,000

Satisfaction:

Wealth:

Traffic:

Current Extent of Twin Tides:

- My Notes
    Hi All... This was my first real attempt at high density... I have tried a few cities previously to Itova with lots of high density and they turned out horrible so I have kind of been slightly afraid of it since then... When I started on this city it all went haywire and I was kicking myself for screwing it up again... But to my surprise with little imput by me it sort of equalised out... I built a few more residences etc and it just came mostly right...
    At this point however Itova was screaming for Heavy Industry... And with my cash flow down I couldnt import... So I had to develop Industry Point even though I didnt really want to... I have for the mean time solved the Heavy Industry problem, but now I face a Manufacturing problem... I have no more room left to develop any manufacturing in Twin Tides so I am saving that for my next satelite town... However in the mean time I have build a special manufacturing building giving 45% to manufacturing (how do these work exactly cause I so far havent noticed much of a difference in the trade screen... Do the special buildings actually give more tokens?) and a warehouse (which futher increases manufacturing I believe) hoping that these can tie me over until I start my next project...
    Traffic you can see is a bit more of an issue with Twin Tides... Due to the fact that the population that is over four times that of Blue Bay is packed into a little bit of land surrounded by hills and water... I probably should make the ring road (going around the lake) into a expressway... But I like the arty look of it as it is... An expressway would sort of ruin the feel of it... I have however removed one of the interections in the red parts (center of town) and hopefully that will relive some, although now that block of high density residences only have one normal road exit onto the avenue instead of two... I'm also debating of whether to tear down the three elite residences that are on that little point in the middle of town, and just make that area a plaza or something, removing that road and therefore another intersection...
    Still making a loss... Its weird now... Sometimes I'm making money and others times I'm not... I still never make enough to import all that I need... At the moment I am -1 in water, -2 in waste, -3 in manufacturing and -2 in offices... However I export a great deal of farming, tourism, and high tech as well as electricity and unskilled but I dont want to rely on those two as I will probably need them in the future...
    So my next question is... Support cities? I think I might need to make one as Omnicorp is screwing me over... So how do I go about building one? Do I simply specialise it in the things that Itova sucks at (so heavy industry, manufacturing, water, waste etc) and make it dependent on things that Itova is good at (tourism, hi tech, farming etc)? And then I can trade between the two?
    Thats about it for now... Again your thoughts, feedback, comments, advice and tips are always welcome...

Cheers

Ill leave you with this... Soon to be my next sig lol...

Twin Tides... A playground at night...
    Last edited by Stildawn; June 27, 2011 at 06:31 PM.

Great stuff so far, nice job with the layout! The game looks good yet the city doesn't seem as lively as it should be.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Loving this story so far. Great playing, great writing and great game. Also, some beautiful screenshots. Love the ones of Royce Estate, Royce Windmill farm, Tallica beach and Crystal View Casino

Keep it up please

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax View Post
    Great stuff so far, nice job with the layout! The game looks good yet the city doesn't seem as lively as it should be.
    Even with the three districts the city is still pretty small compared to most CitiesXL cities lol... And I have been playing with the traffic density options since its been lagging... Ill try get some more lively shots

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Loving this story so far. Great playing, great writing and great game. Also, some beautiful screenshots. Love the ones of Royce Estate, Royce Windmill farm, Tallica beach and Crystal View Casino

Keep it up please
    Thanks... Im trying to make the layouts and story I guess as realistic as possible haha...

Blue Bay Update 2

- New Commercial Additions
    With the massive success of Twin Tides... Developers in Blue Bay soon look to the relatively undeveloped Blue Bay water front, it wasnt long before submissions to the Council for new endeavours occured at an increasing rate... Although the council wished for Blue Bay to remain its small town image it did approve numerous smaller scale resort developments along the water front...

Blue Bay Water Front... A Small Scale Beach Resort...

During this time, farmers of Blue Bay also saught to expand to meet the growing needs of the region... New land was opened up for agriculture...

Blue Bay Expanded Farmland... Looking East...

- New Suburbs
    Of course these new commecial ventures required new employee... Blue Bay applied to the Itova Regional Council to expand its boarders in the west, once approved construction immediately began on the new suburbs of Kingsford Place and Watercrest... A area soon to be a unique mix of Lower middle class, middle class and executives...

Kingsford Place on the left... Watercrest on the right...

A road was also carved into the hills... The street home to lower middle class residents... Forth Lane was a little piece of lower class heaven located in a rich forest...

Forth Lane...

- Blue Bay Statistics

Current Population: 39,400
    Current Regional Population: 107,000
    Current Income (Regional): $500,000

Extend of Blue Bay:

- My Notes
    Hi All... Most of my recent work on Itova has been in establishing two support cities... The first Stride which is a alround city specilising in resources that Itova doesnt produce... However I soon found out that cause Itova was running in the negatives I couldnt trade... So I created Gibson... A cash cow city which is ugly as hell, its sole purpose is to sell mass raw materials (water, fuel etc) to Omnicorp and I then use the profits to export cash to Itova...

I know this is sorta like cheating and I dont plan to keep it this way for very long, I plan in the next few updates to get Itova trading successfully with Stride and then backing off the support from Gibson, redeveloping Gibson into a more realistic support city...

This update just did some developments in Blue Bay that I have been planning to do for a long time, I didnt actually want to expand any further west as that is approaching the site for another planned satelite town... But there was no other option to get the employee's needed to support the new additions without ripping down most of Blue Bay and replacing it with medium density which in turn would sort of ruin the feel of the town if it was done too much...

So the next step Im going to work on solving some of the issues of Blue Bay... Ill be creating an industrial satelite town hoping to 1. Rapidly increase Hi Tech to a point where I can export tonnes of it to improve cash flow and 2. Increase local manufacturing a tad...

Anyway thanks for reading... Any tips, feedback etc is most welcome...

Thanks
    Last edited by Stildawn; June 27, 2011 at 06:33 PM.

DekuTrash's Avatar Human Directional
    Content Emeritus

The game looks beutiful! But I could never play the game...I just couldn't do that to my beloved Simcity.

District In Depth Part 4: Crescent Bay

- Introduction
    With Itova's satelite towns quickly becoming more populous and popular... People seeking to move to Itova increased dramatically, Crescent Bay area was the next district to recieve special attention from the Regional Council...

The regional council began planning and construction of Crescent Bay... The area was to have large new suburbs for new residents as well as industry to work towards solving some of the regions problems, mainly the lack of Heavy Industry and Manufacturing... It was with these conditions in mind that road planning and construction began...

Along the districts southern boarder would be the main 8 lane highway running from Blue Bay in the east to Twin Tides in the west... From the highway a series of expressways would be constructed providing fundamental access to Crescent Bay... The western expressway would also hug the coast of the extremes of Aiwa Spire to connect with the 8 lane highway there just before Crescent Bay Bridge...
    Due to the mid regional location of Crescent Bay... It was decided that to help the highways deal with the districts new freight requirements, a small port area would be developed... The first national port facilities in the region...

Initial Road Layout...

- The Current Crescent Bay
    With the infastructure done... Zonning soon commenced and new residents and businesses flocked to Crescent Bay... First the west end of the bay was developed into the residential area... Exclusively medium density to provide enough housing for the districts industry plans...
    The east end of the bay, next to the port and the bridge quickly developed into a modern industry area, with a small contingent of heavy industry, large areas of manufacturing and of course Itova's own speciality Hi Tech...

Central Crescent Bay... The industrial and commercial part of the district...

The port was soon operational as the industries constantly produced goods for export... Medium sized container ships were frequent in the harbour...

Container ship at Pier 1... Crescent Bay Port...

With industry pumping... New residents flooded to the area...

Current Cresent Bay... Looking south west...

- Crescent Bay Statistics

Current Population: 79,000
    Current Population (Regional): 186,000
    Current Regional Income: $600,000

Satisfaction:

Wealth:

Traffic:

Extent of Crescent Bay:

- My Notes
    Hi All... Crescent Bay is rather uninteresting... It was designed solely to fulfill the purpose of solving some of the problems of Itova... So basically an industrial area... I did a small part of heavy industry although with my support city of Stride opperating I have decided to stay true to my inital intention of importing the vast majority of my heavy industry... I did alot of manufacturing, I think I actually went a bit over board cause at the end of zonning I noticed they Im now able to export over 10 tokens of manufacturing, which is not what I had planned... Also placed some Hi Tech, however not as much as I had planned (like I said, got carried away with manufacturing)...

Thats about it for Crescent Bay, the only other thing is I have some small fishing ports next to the two medium ports... However its odd when I click on them it says they are not connected to city hall (even though they have roads right next to them) but they also have the full set of workers and are at 100% activity? So whats going on? Are they working or not haha?

Anyway thats about it for this update... The next update Ill be finishing up the southern part of the map... Leading to the exciting step of starting on the north... Where the real city will be...

Ill leave you with this one last picture as usual...

Thanks

Crescent Bay... At night...
    Last edited by Stildawn; June 27, 2011 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DekuTrash View Post
    The game looks beutiful! But I could never play the game...I just couldn't do that to my beloved Simcity.

Thanks... I found this much better than SimCity thus far, alot harder though...

District In Depth Part 5: South Shore City

- Introduction
    The region of Itova was growing quickly... The satelite towns experienced prosperity and citizen satisfaction was high... It was now decided that a more central city was required to service the southern areas of Itova that were experiencing this growth... Thus South Shore City council was born, the new council authority stretched over all the southern districts, from Blue Bay in the east to Twin Tides in the west... This newly developed council immediately began planning and construction of a the central city...

- Initial Roads
    Planning began in the last readily available land space... The relatively flat and sound area around the coast between Blue Bay and Crescent Bay... Infastructure as usual was the first to recieve attention by the city council... And soon contractors from Blue Bay, Crescent Bay and even a few from Twin Tides began construction of new road networks...

Initial Roads of South Shore City...

A new bridge was constructed perpendicular to that of Crescent Bay Bridge... The new bridge effectively extended the 8 lane highway across the harbour to the northern part of Itova... During the construction of the bridge new roads were laid in the area planned for the new city... A port area was quickly established to assist freight and transportation to the nation...

- Current City
    It wasn't long before new residents and businesses flocked to the area as land was zoned and smaller roads and infastructure established... A grand city quickly grew as industry and commerical offices flourished at an alarming rate...

The area close to the main ports quickly developed into a hi tech industrial area once again harnessing Itova's brilliant minds in innovation and enterprise, with easy access to shipping the area became a chief exporter of highly sort after products and inventions...

The central area developed rapidly into the financial and commercial center of the whole southern shores, many large businesses relocated their main offices there as skyscrappers and towers expanded into the sky...

With the growing industry and commerical activities, new residents swarmed into the newly zoned residential areas spanning towards Blue Bay in the east... Highly paid exucutives established themselves in central city appartment towers, skilled and unskilled workers moved to the medium density suburbs surrounding the CBD and the elities built large mansions along the waterfront...

Downtown quickly expanded...

The new bridge offered great sights for tourists who climbed the bridge on guided tours...

South Shore City... Central to the southern districts...

- Attractions
    With the growing population so to came the demand for more entertainment services... South Shore City became a hub for two unique venues...

Mystic Island Theme Park was developed by the Royce Family... After the grand opening it quickly became the southern regions prime entertainment location, offering all that could be desired... Hotels, Casinos, Theme Parks, Rides, Theater, Beaches and much more... Tourists and people out for adventure flocked to the island...

Mystic Island... A modern adventure...

With the combining of the districts under one roof... A culture of the south developed... This citizen pride in their communities soon developed numerous sport teams from the suburbs and districts... From these teams rose the SSC Mystics... The South Shore Cities own professional sports teams... With donations from across the region and large investments by sponsoring businesses constructions began and was quickly completed on Mystic Stadium...

Mystic Stadium and surrounds...

A unique view inside Mystic Stadium...

The hard working citizens of SSC loved nothing more than to party on the weekends and sometimes even during the work week... Downtown SSC quickly developed a party atmosphere almost rivaling Twin Tides as many clubs, bars and other venues opperated long into the night...

Downtown SSC...

- South Shore City Statistics

Current Population: 158,000
    Current Population (Regional): 344,000
    Current Regional Income: $550,000

Satisfaction:

Wealth:

Traffic:

Extend of South Shore City:

- My Notes
    Hi all... This updates effectively completes the first part of Itova... The souther region is largely finished... I might see if I can expand Aiwa Village a little more over the hills since some parts are looking bare... Although I'm hoping that a forest mod tool will be released shortly (he hinted at it in the custom content forum) which will solve this bare look hopefully lol...

Um what else is there to report... Nothing too remarkable about South Shore City... Just a finishing touch on the region bringing it altogether really... One thing that annoys me though is that the stadium doesnt look in use... It was my first blueprint and I expected better I have sat there stareing at it on high graphics for ages but nothing ever happens, just remains empty sadly as I would have loved to get some action shots of it lol.

Um what else... Not much haha the city works fine and I think is more efficent as I think Im getting better at using/placing services... Like South Shore City has more population than any of my other districts but it only has one of each service (health, police, fire, education) while the others had numerous and still showed some dissatisfaction...

One thing you cant see really in the pictures is I made a little part of trees between Blue Bay and
    South Shore City... As a nice pleasant link between the two...

So yeah... The next step is a few satelite towns in the north... And then I might give Itova central a go lol although Im nervous since I think it will be hard...

So yep any feedback, tips, comments are welcome and appreciated...

Thanks

Ill leave you with a shot of the entire south shore

South Shore... The entire region...

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Damn that city is very well-designed. I like the road placement to it; It makes the city look much more natural. +rep
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Thanks... That was what I was going for haha.

DekuTrash's Avatar Human Directional
    Content Emeritus

It's because of your aar that I'm really starting to warm up to Cities XL. I'm really leaning towards buying it once I replace my fried video card.

I have the game, but after a few unsuccessful attempts at city building, I gave up on it . But after reading this and seeing the incredible city you've built so far, I think i might just give it another go. Awesome city!

Quote Originally Posted by DekuTrash View Post
    It's because of your aar that I'm really starting to warm up to Cities XL. I'm really leaning towards buying it once I replace my fried video card.
    haha always good to be an inspiration...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpg View Post
    I have the game, but after a few unsuccessful attempts at city building, I gave up on it . But after reading this and seeing the incredible city you've built so far, I think i might just give it another go. Awesome city!
    Yeah I was like you, got it cheap on steam gave it a few tries and almost gave up... Its quite hard to get the hang of (though maybe Im just an idiot lol) but once you do it really grows on you lol... I am doing ok now in my city but Im far from an expert, and still make stupid mistakes lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast