Thread: HOI3: Troop Supply

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

Default HOI3: Troop Supply

Just started a 1939 game as the UK and I have encountered a problem. Poland has fallen and the pressure is on France. I therefore decided to deploy some units to Denmark to put pressure on the Reich. However the units cant attack as they are out of fuel. It says they are supplied from Copenhagen but are recieving 0 supplies.

How do I ship supplies over to Denmark?

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: HOI3: Troop Supply

do you have enough convoys?
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

This is a common problem for people not familiar with the supply system. Ports, without any modifiers from technology or ministers, can bring in 6 supplies per level. A regular 1944 infantry brigade eats up 0.9 supplies without any modifiers from leaders or ministers.

So, since a level 10 port can bring in 60 supplies, that implies it can support at a minimum 66 infantry brigades, or 22 triangular infantry divisions with no support brigades. Since you'll likely have supply lowering leaders and ministers, and the port efficiency techs researched, you can support quite a few more troops through that one port than the minimum.

Fuel is handled separately from supply, but has the exact same limits. So, say you have a level 5 port, it can bring in a max of 30 supplies and 30 fuel, as each type has its own supply network. Not a very good design, but that's how it is.

So, what all that means is it's very easy to send too many units in an amphibious assault and not be able to supply them all. US, UK, and Japan players quickly run into this problem because they often send too many troops over. If you have enough convoys then the convoy AI should automatically set up the supply route. What you need to do is make sure the ports can sustain the troops you send over, taking into account that revolt risk, infrastructure, and distance will all "eat" supplies as they travel from the supply depot.

Denmark is still independent. I got military access and deployed units in preperation for an invasion into Germany, so I am on Danish soil. Is there a way to supply them?

Yes I have plenty of convoys

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by legate View Post
    Denmark is still independent. I got military access and deployed units in preperation for an invasion into Germany, so I am on Danish soil. Is there a way to supply them?
    Ahh, that's the problem. Units in neutral territory don't receive supplies. Ever. This is done to prevent exploits.

Does this rule follow historical precedence? No. Germany moved some troops through Sweden during its attack on Norway, but recreating that in-game is impossible. Yet the game doesn't allow troops in neutral countries to be supplied, so you have to just deal with it.

Ah too bad, I guess my divisions in Denmark will just have to be a static defence if the Germans invade.