View Poll Results: Do you like archery the way it is now?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's fine.

55 23.11%
  • No, archers should have a range bonus when elevated.

183 76.89%
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Archery in Shogun 2 - do you like it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Archery in Shogun 2 - do you like it?

Specifically, I'm referring to whether you like the archers not having a range bonus when elevated. Overall I think you've done a superb job on Shogun 2, CA - I wasn't expecting to like it this much as the setting isn't really my scene, but I do.

However, this idea of archers not having a range bonus when elevated is daft and ruins archery for me. Some people think you might have done it that way to stop hilltop camping in MP. Well, I don't give a damn about MP. TW is a singleplayer game - that's what the meat of the game is aimed at! Also, what's with the archers lining up before shooting? They're not musketeers!! In any case, if you want to keep it in MP, wouldn't it be possible to keep it in MP without ruining it for the (majority) of singleplayers?

So guys - do you want archery to work properly in the next TW game, or are you happy with it the way it is now? We all know what the next TW game will be and I will be severely pissed off if archery works this way in that game after waiting for it all this time.

@CraigTW - I would be interested to hear your view on this matter.

Edit: I would've added a third option, but that would've lost all the votes we've got so far. So, MP guys - if the only reason you'd vote against this is because it would somehow spoil your online games, please say so.
    Last edited by SonOfCrusader76; June 19, 2011 at 01:30 PM.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Archery in Shogun 2 - do you like it?

Who's the one that voted nope(to the idea of having them the range bonus) !!! We should make the TWC private FBI track him and put him under arrest under the charge of heresy!

-voice in the background: "Gegorge it's time for your medicine..."
    Last edited by Lord Baal; June 09, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

whoever voted "yes" should be barred from ever playing (and especially buying) a TW game ever again. archers not having a range bonus when on elevated terrain is removing one fundamental thing from the tactical landscape and makes fighting for higher ground entirely pointless.
    "Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living."

Quote Originally Posted by raest View Post
    whoever voted "yes" should be barred from ever playing (and especially buying) a TW game ever again. archers not having a range bonus when on elevated terrain is removing one fundamental thing from the tactical landscape and makes fighting for higher ground entirely pointless.

That's what's annoying me - there's no point fighting for high ground - which of course, was a fundamental of this type of warfare!

Hmmm, I should've made the voting public - can that be changed, mods?

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    That's what's annoying me - there's no point fighting for high ground - which of course, was a fundamental of this type of warfare!
    Soldiers still fight better fighting downhill than fighting uphill, so hills and high terrain is still important. But yeah, archers need to get range bonuses when firing from high areas.
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Kabeloko's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by raest View Post
    totally disagree with u mate...
    if u run some tests, u will see that fighting hand to hand in high ground gives u better results, and probly shooting will too, as the archers get a better angle at the enemy over their friends heads, avoiding friendly fire and hiting harder and more centered, and somehow the high ground helps them do more damage against enemy archers too...
    and we are talking about small hills, not mountains, the range wouldnt vary much significantly...

about the first post complaining they line up, its pretty logical, the guy behind everyone wouldnt be able to aim and calculate his shots, and those would be less effective too, as they would have to be fired in a baloon angle, to fall on the enemy...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Kabeloko View Post
    totally disagree with u mate...
    if u run some tests, u will see that fighting hand to hand in high ground gives u better results, and probly shooting will too, as the archers get a better angle at the enemy over their friends heads, avoiding friendly fire and hiting harder and more centered, and somehow the high ground helps them do more damage against enemy archers too...
    and we are talking about small hills, not mountains, the range wouldnt vary much significantly...

about the first post complaining they line up, its pretty logical, the guy behind everyone wouldnt be able to aim and calculate his shots, and those would be less effective too, as they would have to be fired in a baloon angle, to fall on the enemy...
    True, the hills in Shogun 2 aren't very high - but the point of this thread is to get it changed for future TW games - Rome TW had very high hills; if Rome 2's map is made like that, then a range bonus for elevated archers is essential.

Or maybe CA will just 'even out' the hills to please the MP crowd who don't like 'hill camping'.

I don't want what happened in MTW2, when armies deployed up the side of a mountain, but I do want some battles like in Rome where you're high up and able to pour death on an enemy trying to get up to where you were. If the battlefields are as samey in Rome 2 as they are in Shogun 2, it will go a long way towards ruining the game for me. That's the main purpose of this poll.
    Last edited by SonOfCrusader76; June 16, 2011 at 01:28 PM.

KittySN's Avatar Senator

Not a big fan of players camping on hills with a morale and range advantage, so I'm fine they cheat science some.

As for "fighting for the hill" in campaign... LOL. I've never had an experience where the AI wasn't easy to slay.

Quote Originally Posted by KittySN View Post
    Not a big fan of players camping on hills with a morale and range advantage, so I'm fine they cheat science some.

As for "fighting for the hill" in campaign... LOL. I've never had an experience where the AI wasn't easy to slay.
    How come I don't see you playing online much? Wouldn't mind playing a few matches
    This signature is clickable

Ah - so it's the online people voting no then. It should be possible to have it in SP and not in MP, but if it can only be one way, then it should be the SP way because that's what most people play in TW! This isn't Fifa!

Edit: If voting no because you're mainly an online player, please say so.

I corrected my first post! I realized it was as ambiguous as the artists formerly know as Prince
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Come on! 85 views and only 20 odd votes?

I think nobody cares of this kind of stuff anymore then? Only 20 of us! Too bad... Well Son of Crusader, give this a little more time, perahps the forum is on a slow hour?

Maybe.

I know there are other things that need looking at as well, but this is my primary annoyance with the game that still hasn't been mentioned by CA.

Well, we are still pending on an answer for Craig... If he fails to deliver one then it could be two possibilities:
    1) The engine do not allow this kind of calculations, this is not likely, and is rather odd, but could be. If this is the reason he might not be allowed to say so under the current Warscape hate, this will only give a chance to everyone to say: "You see! That engine is worthless!". This is even more important if they have some contract stating they shall be forced to use this engine for X amount of years or games.

2) They cut the corner on this one, or it was somewhat difficult to implement, or simply forgot/underestimated this. For obvious reasons Craig won't say so either!

Quote Originally Posted by Lordbaal19 View Post
    Well, we are still pending on an answer for Craig... If he fails to deliver one then it could be two possibilities:
    1) The engine do not allow this kind of calculations, this is not likely, and is rather odd, but could be. If this is the reason he might not be allowed to say so under the current Warscape hate, this will only give a chance to everyone to say: "You see! That engine is worthless!". This is even more important if they have some contract stating they shall be forced to use this engine for X amount of years or games.

2) They cut the corner on this one, or it was somewhat difficult to implement, or simply forgot/underestimated this. For obvious reasons Craig won't say so either!
    i highly doubt that the engine cannot support it and/or that it's difficult to implement since these are relatively simple calculations

Quote Originally Posted by Lordbaal19 View Post
    I get your point... but I think is sad. This game should not be really that influenced by multiplayer
    this. the TW series has always been about SP first and MP later. also, if it annoys MP people so much that they have one more variable in their tactical decision-making (come on guys, seriously?!), i see no reason why it cannot be at least an option to turn on in SP (it's not like there are no differences between MP and SP anyway). also, i don't believe that most of us that want to see the range bonus added want also the current lethality+accuracy bonus (i know i don't. or at least it should be really really small)

and another question for the MP guys: do you also complain about those zones of control (or whatever they're called) that give bonuses to ammo etc? do you ragequit when somebody takes one of those or do you avoid completely maps that feature them? because the principle is the same...
    "Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living."

Comes Limitis

I think there is a range bonus but its allot smaller than in previous TW games. Whenever the enemy is waiting on me on a hilltop and I try to skirmish around with my archers, those of the enemy can shoot first and I need to get closer than usual. Then I notice that arrows are allot less effective when shooting at them opponents on the hilltop.

To me archery in STW2 is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

I haven't noticed that at all - not on hills, and not on castle walls. In fact, I'm sure there have been some times where the soldiers on the ground were able to shoot the ones on the hill, without the ones on the hill being able to hit them back!!

Range bonus when on high ground? Hell yeah! They should rename the series to Total Camping while they are at it!

I voted that they are fine, by the way. Though I'm part of the MP crowd and are looking at it from a gameplay perspective. Right now there is a bonus to accuracy and lethality from arrows due to elevation and I feel that is enough for multiplayer. For Singleplayer it would be fine, however.

Yep.

This poll needs another option, maybe a mod could do that? Only one way to find out...

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast