Thread: Ostrakon Revocation

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

Default Ostrakon Revocation

Ostrakon

If a Civitates is found to be acting in opposition to the rules of the forum and Curia, or is otherwise neglecting his duties or carrying about in disorderly and immature manner unbefitting his position, he may be relieved of his position by the following procedure:

1. Any member permanently banned by the staff will be stripped of all rank. If the member is later allowed to return, any appropriate ranks will be restored.
    2. After one week of discussion, a poll of the Civitates will be started, stating the rank to which the object of the Ostrakon is to be reduced. The vote shall remain open for 168 hours and will be decided by a majority of non-abstaining voters.
    3. Staff may veto an Ostrakon as per the Staff Veto Act.
    4. If a Civitates frivolously abuses his right to bring Ostrakon, it is the duty of all Civitates to bring Ostrakon against him and have him stripped of rank.
    5. No Civitates may be stripped of his rank except by means of this procedure.
    What interested me is the possibility of a revocation of an Ostrakon. What if someone is permanently banned under pretenses that eventually prove false, or later want to try and prove themselves? Of course, an Ostrakon should only occur after enough warnings have been given, but how exactly will someone be allowed to return? Aren't perma-ban's based on IP?

And if no current structure exists, should we include some?

My opinion is that people make mistakes and people change, and although they may do something completely deserving of Ostrakon one day within a month they may be eager to rejoin TWC with commendable citizenship and civility. I would sugguest that an Ostrakon can be revoked after no less than a month if a civitate or staff member brings a vote upon TWC, with the standard rules (2/3, limited time, etc.) What are your feelings and ideas? (This all assumes that I didn't miss something or grossely misunderstand something, it's about 1AM here and I'm not in the most coherent of moods... )

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

Ostrakon means stripping of the rank of a Civitates.Like Archer has sayed many times before,the banning is a matter of staff to decide.Curia has no say in that matter.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

The two are separate = Civitates have greater expectations on forum behaviour than members
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

and banned members can always log on as a visitor, find Archer's email and email him asking to come back.
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

I treat the Ostrakon, alias the removal of the badge as a "dishonorable discharge" , for member who brought shame and smugded a badge which is worn by other honorable members. The badge suppose to show, that members had to earned it by hard work and being loyal TWC members and whoever wears it, wears it proud and shows the rest of the "mire" that it's not only something that we throw around to anyone who wishes to look cool.

Banning is a whole different deal, it's more of a punishment in the name of law.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Zuwxiv
    What interested me is the possibility of a revocation of an Ostrakon. What if someone is permanently banned under pretenses that eventually prove false, or later want to try and prove themselves?
    They can contact the staff via e-mail (the banning staff member generally sends an e-mail to the person in question, so they can respond to that) and explain themselves. If unbanning is seen as inappropriate, then they'll be unbanned, and their Civitates status will be restored.
    Of course, an Ostrakon should only occur after enough warnings have been given, but how exactly will someone be allowed to return? Aren't perma-ban's based on IP?
    Generally no. IP bans are only instituted if necessary, and even then only if they'll be effective (many people can't be effectively IP-banned, particularly dialup users). But in any case, permabans can be revoked.
    I would sugguest that an Ostrakon can be revoked after no less than a month if a civitate or staff member brings a vote upon TWC, with the standard rules (2/3, limited time, etc.) What are your feelings and ideas?
    Well, as-is, someone who's Ostrakoned can always reapply for Civitateship if they find a patron. The staff will then vote on their admission. Thus, someone who's ostracized and then reforms can become a Civitates again.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey