Thread: Advertisement Templates

Default Advertisement Templates

Put your advertisements here so we can decide which ones we will be using. This is different than the other thread in that this is for active recruitment using less graphic means and less passively. More of an advertisement as a thread in which others will post and ask questions and YATS players will answer.

FAQ

You Are The Senate

What is You are the Senate?

What is You are the Senate?

You are the Senate is a multi-player AAR (After Action Report) based around a single game of Rome: Total War. Players take on the role of a Roman senator, each complete with his own Roman name and background story, and work together to make decisions concerning the future of the Roman Republic.

Concieved originally as a creative writing project, You are the Senate has grown into one of the most wildly popular RPG's/Group-AAR on Total War Center, and has easily the longest history of almost four years of play.

We take historical accuracy seriously, but our game is tailored to fit the realities of the forum and the situation we have to play in, so don't expect everything to be by the book!

Well, how does it work?

The "players" of YATS (as we abbreviate the name) form up the Senate. In our version of Rome, the Senate has authority over all aspects of Roman life. These "senators" use information provided from a Rome: Total War game to make decisions on how to run the Republic. Senators come to decisions through debate: all senators have the right to propose a "motion" which is then debated upon by the body. When a Senator moves for a vote, a poll is created and all senators vote on the motion. If the poll passes, the motion passes, and that action is undertaken in game.

For example, say the in game Carthage seems to be gearing up for an attack on Sicily. Some Senators decide that a pre-emptive strike is the best option, and they bring forth a motion before the Senate that entitles the Consul, the magistrate in charge of the military (more on this later) to lead legions to war. This motion will then be debated in the Senate House, eventually being brought to a vote. If the vote fails, nothing is done. but if it passes, then Rome goes to war with Carthage.

Things would now move into the Consul's hands. He, or they, would lead the legions int
    o Carthaginian lands in the game, attacking whatever target the Senate specified, if any. They are required to create a narrative story, sometimes called an "After-Action Report" (or AAR) for their campaign, covering the major battles and happenings. The Senate will use these "reports", sent by messenger to the Senate, to make decisions on whether to continue to fund the campaign or what strategies are working.

And this is but an example of the things the Senate does.

Okay, how about some examples?

Certainly. To keep this fair, the examples I will be using will be primarily my own work unless I receive confirmation from another player that I may borrow his writing.

Wars in YATS generally begin with action in the Senate, meaning a motion is proposed and voted upon.
    Any member can propose a motion at any time, but it is up to the discretion of the Consul or magistrate presiding whether or not it will be voted upon by the Senate.

Curia threads (example) are where the debate and discussion takes place, while separate votes are given their own poll threads.

When the vote passes, the Consul will go out and fight the battles in game. He will produce a narrative-style report (known as an "After Action Report" or AAR by some), in which he describes the battle or any events in his campaign. He will also keep a "Campus" thread in which he can further elaborate or expand the events of his campaign.

Some examples of major battles we've had - note the differences in styles and methods:

A defeat at the hands of Hannibal

The "Battle of Saguntum" during the Second Punic War in a recent game

As you can see, players use different styles and levels of narrative in their reports. There is no one "right" way to write a report, but I can tell you that we appreciate effort more than anything. A few sentence post is not going to impress anyone, and it is not likely that the membership will want to entrust the Consulship to someone who will not make an effort to entertain them with their posts. This is, after all, a creative writing project.

If you have the stomach for it, dear reader, I would suggest a trip to The Catacombs, where you can read over our extensive collection of past consulates, but be warned; The Catacombs is an unorganized mess full mostly of old garbage, though there are a few absolute gems.

So, is that all there is?

Hardly!

At You are the Senate we pride ourselves on offering a deeper simul
    ation of Roman life than simply the actions of the Senate. For example, each character in YATS will develop their own personal backstory and create a "domus" thread, which will act as their in-character home. Our players have, in the past, held marriages, plotted uprisings, thrown parties, drank themselves into a stupor, and even murdered eachother in their domus threads; as you will no doubt see by reading through the examples provided below, players take their characters seriously and will usually try to develop them as much as possible.

Domus Examples:

*Note, action in Domi often occurs over a matter of weeks, so some posts, removed from context, will not make sense. Check dates on posts in order to see if posts are part of a series or are unrelated.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=337190

YATS also has a long history of trials. The Praetor, one of the magistrates elected, conducts business within the "basilica" thread, where senators can make complaints against their colleagues. Trials are rare, but are often the most popular events in YATS, as the rhetoric on display is usually the best written - and most vitriolic - of all.

These examples are very long, but I urge anyone interested to try to read through some of it to see an example of the kinds of rhetoric that will be in use here at YATS.

The trial of a noted Praetor for the unlawful execution of several citizens...

...and the aftermath

The trial of a noted Senator for murder

The trial of a group of four Senators accused of treason
    ...and the dramatic aftermath

Rhetoric is not merely saved for trials, however; members often use the "Rostra" forum to make powerful speeches against programs or people they dislike. There are far too many excellent speeches to list as examples, so simply follow the above link to the Rostra subforum and read some for yourself!

YATS also offers many venues to interact with other senators, or to practice some creative writing. The Viae Romae (Streets of Rome) threads are always very popular for these aspects.

As if that all this were not enough, several of our members have taken it upon themselves to post their own creative work to share with us, and it is universally excellent!

Creative work of Chaplain118

The Adventures of Naughtius Maximus - Hilarious Narrative Poems by Gaius Julius Civilis

And still there are other things. From the intricate stories spun by characters running provinces during their governorships, to random events like games and races, there are so many ways to show your creative talents in YATS that it would be impossible to list them all!

okay, I'm convinced - how do I get involved with this?

Simple. Register first at the Campus Martius subforum, and you're ready to play!

anything else I should know?

YATS players often find it easy to communicate over MSN's messenger service, now called "Windows Live". You do not need this service to play, but it helps a lot, especially in leadership roles! You can find my MSN screenname in my TWC profile - message me whenever I'm on and I'll be happy to help with any problem you have!

With that, I would just like to welcome you to YATS!

Salve, et Bona Fortuna!

YATS V Variant
    You Are The Senate is looking for volunteers willing to help us write a group AAR by role-playing as a Roman senator during the period starting in the Pyrrhic War. We will be using Europa Barbarorum for this purpose and we need volunteers, preferably those of which have a knowledge of Roman history, to get involved but usually our users pick up the necessary material from reading veterans' posts.

You Are The Senate or YATS as we call it is full of lawmaking, political intrigue, rivalries, betrayal and murder as each senator tries to make a difference and propel Rome to her finest glory or that of themselves in a Role-Play in the spirit of classic games such as Nobilis.

We need you in order to fill up the ranks of the senate so that there are discussions and posts going at all times. This means we accept people from across the world for this purpose as long as they can write English in a recognizable manner and with acceptable grammar and impeccable spelling.

Please sign up if you're interested, create a character, make new friends and most of all, debate. I can nearly promise that you will become a better debater and organizer after a few terms of YATS, and most of all, you'll have fun doing it.

For all who have no idea what YATS is or would like to know, visit this thread for an introduction via chronicles of past YATS sessions:

Advertisement:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=371783

Eventful sessions from this session of YATS will be kept here:

N/A

If after that you are interested, click on the link in my signature and sign up in the census located in the Campus Martius sub-forum after reading these:

FAQ:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365581

Rules:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=458522

A Step-By-Step Character Creation Guide:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=337189

This will give you an idea of the quality of posts we're shooting for:

YATS - The Classics:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=154609

For updates on the current YATS situation:
    Last edited by Ozy; January 11, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Default Re: Advertisement Templates

You Are The Senate is looking for volunteers willing to help us write a group AAR by role-playing as a Roman senator during the period starting in the Pyrrhic War. We will be using Europa Barbarorum for this purpose and we need volunteers, preferably those of which have a knowledge of Roman history, to get involved but usually our users pick up the necessary material from reading veterans' posts.

You Are The Senate or YATS as we call it is full of lawmaking, political intrigue, rivalries, betrayal and murder as each senator tries to make a difference and propel Rome to her finest glory or that of themselves in a Role-Play in the spirit of classic games such as Nobilis.

We need you in order to fill up the ranks of the senate so that there are discussions and posts going at all times. This means we accept people from across the world for this purpose as long as they can write English in a recognizable manner and with acceptable grammar and impeccable spelling.

Please sign up if you're interested, create a character, make new friends and most of all, debate. I can nearly promise that you will become a better debater and organizer after a few terms of YATS, and most of all, you'll have fun doing it.

For all who have no idea what YATS is or would like to know, visit this thread for an introduction via chronicles of past YATS sessions:

Advertisement:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=371783

Eventful sessions from this session of YATS will be kept here:

N/A

If after that you are interested, click on the link in my signature and sign up in the census located in the Campus Martius sub-forum after reading these:

FAQ:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365581

Rules:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=458522

A Step-By-Step Character Creation Guide:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=337189

This will give you an idea of the quality of posts we're shooting for:

YATS - The Classics:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=154609

For updates on the current YATS situation:
    Last edited by dragoon47; June 10, 2011 at 05:22 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Bjorn's Avatar Praefectus

will copy this into my signature

Blopwerth III's Avatar Civis

Pyrrhic wars-So has Pyrrhus just arrived from Epirus in Brundisium? Or is he already distracted by the conquest of Carthage?
    Blopwerth III, the not-quite-emperor formerly known as Pringles VII!

(It might or might not involve copyright.)
    Pointless Norwegian flag!