Thread: What are the top 10 world's largest ethnic groups?

Little Turtle's Avatar Tiro

Default What are the top 10 world's largest ethnic groups?

Now I know that Han Chinese are number one, but can anyone help me with the rest? Google doesn't really provide any solid answers, Wiki tells me Bengali is second, which I could see being true, as the whole country is homogenous...but who knows. What after that, Arabs? Punjabis?
    Rep is customary, sir.

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: What are the top 10 world's largest ethnic groups?

Measuring ethnic groups is challenging. While the largest ethnicity is Han Chinese, it is a unique ethnicity in that it has become the national identity of China, and people from all over China consider themselves Han despite differences in language and religion. Some ethnic groups could also be combined into one due to the similarity between them, but their members don't consider themselves to be of the same ethnicity as others. The Bantu peoples could be a very large ethnic group in Africa, but every tribe considers itself a distinct entity, so they are divided into around 600 groups.

I don't think there is a way to accurately survey ethnicity.

Ethnicity is not really a scientific study...

Ethnicity is not really a scientific study...
    Yeah, its more or less a political study. Take a place like the former Yugoslavia; everyone is essentially the same genetically, they all speak the same language, and they all have more-or-less the same culture (excluding religion). Yet Croats, Slovenes, Bosniaks, Montenegrins, Serbs etc. all consider themselves seperate ethnic groups, enough so that they indulged in some nasty "ethnic" cleansing.

Asians.