Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bizarcasm's Rebalanced Strat mod

Default bizarcasm's Rebalanced Strat mod

Hi, this is a personal modification that I've been working on since BC 2.3 came out. I originally just wanted to tweak the balance of the descr_strat, in order to compensate for some of the balance issues with the latest release, but it quickly became much more complicated. Here's and overview of what I've done:

Extended Christian Family Trees:
    One of the awesome things about the recent BC 2.3 release was the expanded family trees for the Muslim Factions, but this left many of the Christian factions feeling a little left behind, so, with my amateur skills and the internet, I expanded them back several generations. Jerusalem and Rome in particular now have rather large, and more historically accurate trees, going back several generations. I attempted to keep roughly the same number of named characters, so some of them have been swapped out.

Seljuks of Iraq swapped for Eldiguzids (Atabegs of Azerbaijan):
    While the revamping of the Great Seljuks by the BC team has made the game much more historical, it removed the major counter to Georgia in Iran and the Caucasus. With this in mind, I felt it best to represent the strongest Seljuk successor, rather than the impotent remains of the Seljuks themselves. This does leave the heart of Iran rather empty, but IMHO this is more realistic. The Kwarezmshahs, the Ghorids, and the Eldiguzids should all have good chance of establishing their hegemony over Iran, while Georgia should not.

Map tweaks:
    A number of small geographic alterations have been made to the rivers, but the only major change to the strategic map is that the Damascus province is now linked to the Ayyubid territories. This allows the Ayyubid army that spawns next to Damascus to actually beseige and usually capture it. This significantly strengthens the AI Ayyubids, hopefully stopping Jerusalem from becoming too powerful, without sacrificing the challenge of taking Damascus by an Ayyubid player.

Rome/Turkey Balance:
    One of the big balance issues has been the Romans steamrolling everything. I've buffed up the Turks some, and weakened the Roman armies slightly. The biggest change has been eliminating the big rebel stack attacking Ankyra at the beginning. This seems to help a lot, and seems to give to Turks a better chance of resisting Rome.

Also included is a fix for the siege ladder/tower issue, and some other minor fixes, mainly for the Chauhans. Giving them victory conditions, the Kshatriya trait, and fixing some recruitment issues, such as the Chauhans recruiting Paramara cavalry and vice-versa.

Install by copying the data folder into the Broken_Crescent_kingdoms folder, then delete the expanded.txt.strings.bin, the export_ancillaries.txt.strings.bin, and the names.txt.strings.bin in the text folder. Also, delete the map.rwm in world/maps/base. Obviously this is use at your own risk. I've never publicly submitted my modifications before, so I may have missed something. If you have issues, I can probably debug it, but no guarantees, especially if it involves conflicts with other sub-mods.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: I've done some more extensive tweaks to the balance. Of note, Rome now starts out at war with the Turks, and Jerusalem with Egypt, which significantly improves the AI's expansion. The Ayyubids now slowly whittle down the crusaders, usually taking Jerusalem in the 1190's, and the Turks now usually hold the upper hand against Rome. I've tweaked the rebel garrisons to encourage AI expansion in certain directions, which will hopefully slow down Georgia and speed up Khwarezm. I've also cut all the unnecessary files from the download, making it much smaller.
    Last edited by bizarcasm; July 03, 2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Fixed Bug

Default Re: bizarcasm's Rebalanced Strat mod

Is it possible to make it compatible with Steppe Hordes?
    Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=514102

Possible? Yes. Easy? Not so much. Steppe Hordes is a rather extensive mod, and I'm not sure which files changes, but it seems like it changes a LOT of them. I can see if I can patch some of the features in, but I'll have to take a closer look at Steppe Hordes before I'll know for sure.

Alright. I seriously want to bang my head on a wall when everyone is crushed by Crusaders and Romans. It seems so dirty!

Alright, it looks like it should be possible to make most of my features work with Steppe Hordes. However, after trying a few games, I found that AI Rome and Jerusalem are still too strong, so I'm making some more adjustments.

That is excellent! Thank you very, very much.

A new version is up!

With regards to steppe hordes, I've taken a closer look at the files in question, and I think everything should work, except my fixes to the EDB for the Rajput's cavalry recruitment. You shouldn't have any problems if you leave that out. I'd recommend backing up the relevant files though, as I haven't actually tested this.

I checked it. It was great, but the map regions didn't seem to change when playing campaign...

how can I add the improved seljuk faction without the other changes?

I checked it. It was great, but the map regions didn't seem to change when playing campaign...
    Did you delete the old map.rwm? That usually solves that problem.

how can I add the improved seljuk faction without the other changes?
    Alright, I’ve made a version with only the modified Seljuks. Copy it into the Broken_Crescent_kingdoms folder, delete the names.txt.strings.bin in the text folder, and you should be all set.

Love the KoJ tree, and the Damascus map tweak. +rep
    Oh, for Heaven's sake, now you're being deliberately stupid.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    Wudang why did you close the thread? Because you can't find a source refuting mine? LoL how's the quest to ban me going?

The only thing I really want to add is a script that'll toggle some of the starting wars (particularly for the Romans). The current setup makes the AI expansion good, but makes some factions nearly impossible for a human to play.

I actually mixed mine with rusnmat's descr_strat file, along with some tweaks, that make KoJ, ERE, or GA not expand as much.

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

Can you make a version that includes a limitless AOR field for native faction units? (So you can recruit, for instance, Spatharoi swordsmen anywhere on the map as the ERE?)

I could… but doesn’t SoulBlade’s basic EDB already do this? It should work fine, if you install it on top of my mod.

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

How so? Wouldn't that EDB replace the mod's EDB?
    EDIT: I tried following all the instructions and no new family trees or anything showed up!
    Last edited by Grouchio; June 28, 2011 at 09:57 AM.

How so? Wouldn't that EDB replace the mod's EDB?
    Yes, it would. But this mod's EDB contains only one minor change, swapping the recruitment of Chauhan and Paramara light cavalry, since for some reason they normally recruit each other's, rather than their own. Unless you're playing the Rajputs, it's irrelevant, and even then, you probably wouldn't notice the difference, since the two units are roughly identical.

EDIT: I tried following all the instructions and no new family trees or anything showed up!
    I assume you already tried deleting the map.rwm then. Alright then, let’s check and see if it’s actually been installed or not. The easiest way to do this is to open up your descr_strat and search for “William de_Monteferrat”. This is a new character, and thus will only be there if you installed it correctly.

I've combined SoulBlades EDB with Bizarcasm's mod and its working great for me.
    Oh, for Heaven's sake, now you're being deliberately stupid.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    Wudang why did you close the thread? Because you can't find a source refuting mine? LoL how's the quest to ban me going?

The tree of folders within the data folder extracted from the data.zip file does not match that of the Broken Crescent mod, causing the unwary (including myself) to miss out on important features of your sub-mod, such as the change in Saljuq starting position, when copying the modified data folder into the main mod folder.

Your sub-mod's folders are structured in this manner:

data\world\base\
    data\world\campaign\

This is missing the intermediate folder \maps\ used by BC2.3. The structure should be:

data\world\maps\base\
    data\world\maps\campaign\

I manually corrected my install of your sub-mod, and so corrected the start position. I recommend that you re-upload the data folder with corrected structure to prevent others from encountering the same problem.
    Last edited by Phosphoricus; July 02, 2011 at 02:15 AM.

Thank you, I’ve fixed it now. Now the question is, why did it work for anyone if it was like that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast