Thread: My demo EP 'Inpu Berkel'

Inpu Jebel's Avatar Tiro

Default My demo EP 'Inpu Berkel'

It is born out of a project I call 'Eye', combining several avant-garde genres which range from drone to doom/stoner metal, and is influenced by egyptian, arabic and tibetan music. I listened to a lot of Sunn O))), Om, Boris, among other musical projects, during the development of these songs. All the songs are composed, interpreted and produced by me, with the exception of some samples and a friend's voice.

I appreciate any constructive criticizing.

Here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?5ny7czmejw7pt10

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

Default Re: My demo EP 'Inpu Berkel'

I listened to a few songs (Karnac and Hermanubis... I'll listen to the rest later), I like. I knew I would from your description. Great atmosphere.

Actually used to write middle-eastern influenced stoner/doom myself, though my music was less droney and more like Electric Wizard. And I could never finish a song.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I enjoyed it. Good work. Maybe I should upload some of my stuff as well some day...

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Inpu Jebel's Avatar Tiro

Thank you for the feedback. And I apologize for the bad quality, they were recorded in my room and a bit improvised. :|

I was also about to start a project very similar to Electric Wizard with a friend. But not anymore, as I am moving to London in July.

Their Law's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Sun 0))) you say? Downloading, will comment on it once i've listened.
    "You have a decent ear for notes
    but you can't yet appreciate harmony."

Inpu Jebel's Avatar Tiro

I recommend Monoliths & Dimensions, or Flight of the Behemoth, although they are all good.

Heh, i already own them both, though i prefer White1 and White2 the most, i was implying that you've cited one of my favourite metal bands as an influence.

Incesticide's Avatar Miles

I'm impressed. Rather than Sun O))) your record reminded me more of the collaboration between Lustmord and The Melvins - Pigs of the Roman Empire.

I particularly enjoyed Hermanubis and Karnak (in particular your use of feedback and other noise) - the latter sounded as if you'd sampled some Tuvan throat singing. What I wasn't fond of was the fact that many of the tracks seem to be a little too "abrupt", this might be largely a personal preference, but I tend towards preferring ambient and drone songs that build up very gradually.
    Please note that I will be off to British Columbia for research purposes between the 14th July and 12th September - as such, I will not be able to log on.

Incesticide's Music Review Thread

I agree with Incesticide, I'm getting a heavy dark ambient feel from this akin to Lustmord or Atrium Carceri, which is good and a credit to you, dark ambient can veer very quickly into direction less drones if not done well. But this doesn't so get's thumbs up from me. +rep

I particularly like the final two tracks Karnak and Ascending Hermanubis, they work well together.

Inpu Jebel's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Their Law View Post
    Heh, i already own them both, though i prefer White1 and White2 the most, i was implying that you've cited one of my favourite metal bands as an influence.
    Oh, I apologize, I misunderstood :/
    White1 and White 2? I downloaded them, but lost the computer which had the files, and still haven't listened to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Incesticide View Post
    I'm impressed. Rather than Sun O))) your record reminded me more of the collaboration between Lustmord and The Melvins - Pigs of the Roman Empire.

I particularly enjoyed Hermanubis and Karnak (in particular your use of feedback and other noise) - the latter sounded as if you'd sampled some Tuvan throat singing. What I wasn't fond of was the fact that many of the tracks seem to be a little too "abrupt", this might be largely a personal preference, but I tend towards preferring ambient and drone songs that build up very gradually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Their Law View Post
    I agree with Incesticide, I'm getting a heavy dark ambient feel from this akin to Lustmord or Atrium Carceri, which is good and a credit to you, dark ambient can veer very quickly into direction less drones if not done well. But this doesn't so get's thumbs up from me. +rep

I particularly like the final two tracks Karnak and Ascending Hermanubis, they work well together.
    I'll give a listen to that album. Shamefully, I never listened to Lustmord.
    My favourites are those two as well. And those are actually the ones in which I did not use samples. Only added echo and delay. I agree with the abruptness of the first songs. They were recorded in a different manner - I was exploring my (limited) possibilities -, whereas Karnak and Ascending Hermanubis where much more spontaneous.

Karnak is composed mainly of guitar feedbacks and its final part (from the minute 13 onward) some drones similar to those of Sunn O))). The 'Tuvan throat singing' is veritably me singing.

Ascending Hermanubis was born out of an improvisation with a friend - he sang and I played bass. The live version has a guitar part and I believe it achieves a greater maturity.
    Last edited by Inpu Jebel; June 19, 2011 at 11:23 AM.

Inpu Jebel's Avatar Tiro

For anyone who held interest in the content of this thread, here's something on the live performance.