Page 8 of 107 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature requests - what's missing from Total War?

Default Re: Feature requests - what's missing from Total War?

PLAIN & SIMPLE:

- ROME II TOTAL WAR
    or
    - Greece TOTAL WAR

(back to basics)

Maybe the possibility to create a custom castle\city with various defensive skills (like the tech tree) in the campaign map..
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_warrior View Post
    It is clear that many of those around here spouting their wisdom about how CA hates modding and is intentionally preventing mods have not tried using the Assembly Kit, or even looked at its capabilities. If they have they would realize their idiotic statements are false.

Domesticus
    Artifex

To start with - a big raise of hat (just if I had one). I've always been swearing that video game companies rarely listen to their fans.

My biggest and actually the only big request are the modding tools and/or making the game more moddable. I don't know if it annoys the CA that the gamers edit their game, but it would increase CA's (and the Total War series') popularity a lot I guess. Maybe you think that you don't want the modders "make the game better" - well, actually they do it better so why to prevent them from doing it? They're doing it for their hobby, you for a living, so that's the difference - they don't have economical pressure.
    I've been dreaming about Medieval 3: Total War (or whatever that represents the medieval period in Europe), but if you released modding tools (including - or especially including - the mapping tools) this could be done with S2TW for example and I shouldn't wait until you release your crappy M3TW with no modding tools. I'm being harsh at this point but that's the grim reality.
    (Of course M3TW modded with tools would be better than modded S2TW.)

This is the most important thing. Players can then, once the tools are released and they exist, improve the game in the way they want. In my opinion the basic features of the Total War series have been good in both M2TW and NTW, which are the only TW's I own (been around TW since 2007 or 2008). The diplomacy should be able to be edited by the modders or you should make it still more realistic and give more options (however I'd like to give you a big plus for already improving the diplomacy in NTW)

My second sincere wish is that the TW games could be taken away from Steam - M2TW has damn a lot less crashes, installation problems and other issues compared to NTW, which I have problems with even without mods.
    To be honest I hate Steam, and many faithful fans of M2TW haven't bought NTW or S2TW just because of this - you'd get many new players if this crappy Steam could be sent somewhere far away.

Then there are small improvements (or big in terms of gameplay but these aren't even nearly as essential)... Let me think.

Well, many new little features would be nice - and with this I mean all little things such like new buildings, or factors that affect the gaming experience by making it deeper and give you more micromanaging options.

Also, make higher hills on the battlemaps (higher than in NTW I mean, don't know about S2TW though). This would add a lot more strategic thinking to the battles.
    Bring back the option to trade and give territories in diplomacy.
    I didn't know this has been removed from S2TW - well, I definitely want it back!
    The option to annex a vassal if the relations level is high enough.
    "Yes" for this.
    The ability to coordinate attacks with allies at least the option to ask an ally to attack settlement X or ask them to attack port Y with their navy. Those two option would be a great start and would work similar to how crusades did in M2TW.

The option to request a faction to end a war with an other faction, its a logical option since we have the option to ask a faction to join a war why not have the option to ask them to stop a war.
    Well, especially the latter one is what I've lately thought about - "how come they haven't added this feature?"
    Add the option to have more then 20 units in a stack maybe at least 30 or bring back the kingdoms reinforcement system. I think most would be happy with 30 units in a stack as an option though.
    Yup, the same thing with this - in M2TW you were allowed to let the AI control the reinforcements - and it worked pretty well, especially because you could advise the AI to defend, attack or focus on shooting.
    But you will have to do these both, because if there are two armies, both with 30 stacks, the reinforcements will again be useless.

So, improve the reinforcement system!
    True port cites that show the harbor on the battlefield with ships in the port.
    Yeah, and the same thing with mines, farms, towns and all that.

This is all I'm thinking about now, I hope you read my post and pick as many features as possible.
    Actually the modders can mod the AI, models and all that if they just are given the modding tools for use, so please do it.

PS. I don't still have S2TW so I don't know which things have changed since NTW.
    PS2. +rep to Kinjo, who thinks amazingly similarly to me and wrote a great post, which is easy to read.

Thank you,
    ~Goofy
    Last edited by Goofy; June 03, 2011 at 07:30 AM.

As everyone has said .. modding tools, comparing TATW / EB2 / RTR etc to S2TW should tell bucket loads to those who wish to look. I doubt CA will have time to add all that is required so talking to modders would be very smart.

Other smaller aspects I would like to see in the current developing Rome 2 is ;

(1) Ability to zoom in on strat map settlement and see the city! .. with all new made buildings and people moving around.
    (2) Ability to zoom in on strat map terrain and see the underlying terrain .. for future battles
    (3) populations - Rome was NOT just Romans, it was Etruscan (Tyrian) patricians ruling over tribal Sabines / latins / etc
    (4) Political struggles between these classes, with different government types and laws to help and hinder ..
    (5) great trireme models with destructibility - allow actual tactics - ramming, oar breaking, boarding etc.
    (6) Rome 2 should use M2TW / TATW siege code, as it's stable and still the BEST!!!

That's enough for now ..

R
    Last edited by Rorarii; June 03, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Vasa's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Total War needs a battlefield chain-of-command system.

Instead of direct god-like control of your generic 20-unit army, you should instead be interacting with your senior commanders who in turn fight the battle for you.

This system can be as easy or complex as the player wants. Subordinate commanders can have traits which affect their interpretation of your orders, ranging from rash hot-heads to cautious safety-first types. They can also have different abilities, some able to coordinate large groups of units while others put themselves at the head of their favoured formation and use their charisma to inspire it to do great deeds.

The player would create a battle plan during the deployment phase, then watch it executed during the battle, giving new orders and setting senior commander objectives and stances as the situation unfolds.

Chain of command permits larger battles with more interesting events. Having played a decisive battle, the player should be able to go back and review the replay to find out exactly why things didn't go as planned.
    Excellent idea. If the objective of the series is to emulate war, the battle system is overdue for an overhaul like the one Juvenal has suggested.

Neoton's Avatar Ordinarius

ALLOW US TO TRADE REGIONS!!!

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

So what if.... you make groups of troops and assign them a general, captain or something... then you give them relative simple and broad objectives specific to the battle, like a group of 3 calvary units and 5 elite infantry units to assault and take the center of the casttle/town/whatever, another group of 4 archers and 3 spear infantry to make harassment on this area, other group to take control and remain in another area, and so on, and the units you don't assign a AI captain/general are the ones you start the battle with as normal... but in any moment you can just select any unit or group of AI controlled units to override their current orders and move them yourself. That will solve a little the trouble of managing huge numbers of units while still retaining full control of the army as has always been. This way everybody happy, and also the option to override orders could be disabled in legendary difficult, or at least make necessary to the units been in the radius of a general.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; June 03, 2011 at 08:24 AM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Indefinitely Banned

Longer battles

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

There are some good ideas and some not so good ideas, but I would prefer to keep control of my army.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo View Post
    There are some good ideas and some not so good ideas, but I would prefer to keep control of my army.
    In this side, I agree with you, but some help from the units, like auto-adopting formations and being able to assign them objectives a la fire-and-forget would help a lot when and IF the time to control 60 units stacks come along..
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Indefinitely Banned

Real formations

Quote Originally Posted by pharoh View Post
    Real formations
    Care to elaborate my fried?

By my part, I always thought that there are a excess of formations! A lot of the civilizations/units/soldiers we see in the game never fought in formations, or at least not so much perfect formations.

Perfect formations are fine to roman legions, Napoleonic stile armies and of course phalanx, and even for this perfectly made squares seems like too much. Sometimes, when I look at my garys(ashigarus) on the battlefield I can't help but wonder how really disciplined are those peasants that just a month ago were farming the fields! Hell they form better than British troops!!! This is specially notorious from afar or a high camera position where the human rectangles of gary's are perfectly distinguishable.

However I admit two things:
    1) When the melee start the formations go to hell and back! And the melee as always, looks really AWESOME...
    2) This is not something really that important or gameplay defining, and before we get more natural formations I would like some other more important stuff be done.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; June 03, 2011 at 09:11 AM.

Hello,

As dlc or Expansion for shogun 2

I would especially love to see three things:

- A dlc or expansion which unlocks all factions with proper historically accurate troops/color scheme etc.

-A playable European Trade Association faction with some European troops, unique ability to call reinforcements from their mother country.
    Could start with 1-2 naval army and try to expand in japan with buying their way in or by force.
    Mostly i could imagine it as a highly diplomacy dependent nation which hungers for power, because Europeans always wanted to rule China and Japan with more or less luck.

-The Ashikaga Shogunate as playable faction.
    It could offer a really new perspective, how would most people react if he would in the shoes of the shogun?
    When you rule as the shogun and you watch as the clans slowly devours each other
    and in time openly goes against you or forms great alliances to overthrow you.

-Maybe a bigger map with some new territories expanded to China or Korea.

In a new total war game
    I would love a new medieval total war with mostly
    the features of an improved shogun 2

Old/New features i would love to see:

- Age could be in between 900-1500 actually from the forming of the European medieval era till the exploration of the new world. Because the golden days of middle ages fades as muskets etc. comes in the picture.
    - A campaign with monthly turns which would allow the players to actually feel more difference between each medieval eras as time passes, so they can leave behind the attitude of " OK "x" turn gone by i can recruit now the best unit, but who cares which year it is really?" -> (notices about new inventions, many custom events, revolts, divides, plagues, disasters etc. much more than it is implemented)

Factions

- Key word is historical accuracy here, correct flags/symbols, colors and accurate names of each nation in their native language would be nice

-maybe flags and "coat of arms" etc could be dynamic, so if the age advances your countries flag changes with it as well to retain the historical accuracy or a feature that when you became another nations king as well for example Hungary did with Poland when "Louis I. of Hungary" ruled the country in the XIV. century, they changed their coat of arms and symbols, so it included the polish flag as well, because they honored Poland.

Links for the coat of arms of Hungary ->
    Before Poland was ruled by the King: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...1292-1295).svg
    After Poland was ruled by the King: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ongrie.svg.png
    Original polish flag at that time: http://www.loeser.us/flags/images/po...er_1370-99.png

Map:

-A huge, but well detailed map including the whole European continent, the East territories(Russia/China area), Asia Minor, and the northern parts of Africa(Egypt, moors etc.)
    -the map should really need more settlements/provinces, more variety of city/castle models(ability to build new castles/forts, which you could customize to your liking /customizable settlements?/), more terrain varieties in battle mode/actually it would be really sweet, but i think its too much of a favor to ask that when you get in a battle in the map, you would actually fight on that terrain where your army actually stands, not just some similar random terrains which looks like that.

Army:

-In shogun 2 its became much better than before, but still you should put more effort in researching about the actual weapons/unit varieties and fighting styles of a nation/faction used at a certain era, so you could use unique tactics, formations which fits each faction etc. I'm sure you could also ask the community to help out if it would be too much work for you guys because there are many history freaks in the ranks of Total War fans who would give a helping hand to ensure the birth of an even more awesome and accurate game then ever before.
    -You should rethink the mercenary system, the medieval provincial mercenaries were really great idea and it is useful, but need a new, more use-able concept, more variety, etc.
    -in medieval times there was a kind of feudal law, which was the following that each feudal lord(the vassals of a nations king) had to raise an army and it had to be ready when the king called them in battle or war etc.
    -So i would love to see truly a feudal lord system when you have your own army but you have to call your vassals too into battle and they would have the right to deny but it could cost them their life if you return as winner.

Diplomacy:
    -Abillity to create dualism ( Your daugther marries with a prince the prince die and your daughter is the rightful heir to the throne then you could claim the throne and create a dualism two nation has the same king)
    -To earn right for another nations/factions throne by marriage(or other family relationships) or other diplomatic ways(for example: you lend a hand in a war for one side, but in order they will promise you or your heir if you die, the throne when their life ends...)
    -If you have very high rep with the pope you could trick him to excommunicate a faction leader
    -Blackmailing

I have many more ideas, but i won't create a whole description for a new medieval game and i couldn't even collect them in such a short amount of time

The best thing you could do i think CA should ask/involve the community etc. to be surely historically accurate thats a key point in the Total Wars series and it almost always were, sometimes corrected by community mods in the end, but if you get us involved with the research part you could spare some time and the Total War fans would be sure too, that they will receive a game which is truly worth a lot more than any other game ever, because they got involved and even helped it out and seen it realized before their eyes.

Anyway you guys at CA did great job with Shogun 2, keep up the good work, I believe in you guys.
    Create for us an even more amazing Total War game(anyway any era will be great, but please forgot the Napoleonic/American Civil war era, I hate muskets and early firearms...Really no honor and no fun at all in that era.... Only Japanese warfare is exception because of the samurai and the uniqueness of the country in the East), than ever before when you start the next one

Peace

Most people already suggested the big ones, but I I'll add couple.

- The ability to assign your younger generals as commanders of a unit. Let us be able to assign them to command a unit of cavalry or infantry, or whatever, so that as they gain experience they will eventually move up to be commanders of a full stack.
    - The ability to send some of your military units to an ally, either as a gift or as loan.
    - Add 4 or 5 slots to the stack that can be occupied solely by siege equipment. This way we can have a full stack of twenty units of infantry/cavalry/range, plus some units of siege, without having to trade one for the other as we have to do now, which I think would make for many more epic battles.

Now that I polished a little my wall-of-text I'm tempted to post the comprehensive resume again, as a separated post. It would be OK fellas?

I don't have Shogun II 'cause Japan history doesn't seduce me anyway I'll let some suggestions:

Total War Rome II
    Modding tools for Empire and Napoleon, I really can't see why you are making it so hard, if those games were more moddable they would sell even more, also if you want other extra income you can sell the tools too, now please don't give us units editor, we can do units since ever, help us modding the map, Empire has a great lack of regions, it is idiot that France is just France and that Portugal isn't properly represented, now I'm not seeing you doing a expancion to a game with several years so what do you lose helping us? Like I said the games would sell even more.

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Here I go again, last time I promise.

Resume
    I make this for the people that have no time to read all the painful-wall-of-text that is made up of all the descriptions. However, to better grasp the meaning of every point/suggestion I would recommend to read at least some of the points on it.

AI:

Battle AI:
    - BAI behaving according to leading unit experience.

Campaign AI:
    - A little bit less backstabber CAI.

Battle:

Battle map:
    - Make the garrisonable buildings come back.
    - Make the towers and gates garrisonable for the first time. No more auto turrets ala team fortress and supermarket doors.
    - Unique maps for every province's castle or customizable maps.
    - Show building on-progress in the battle map. Nothing too fancy, just some half built walls and some construction equipment should suffice to create a even higher quality atmosphere.
    - Mixed battles, real shore assaults over coastal towns and cities.

Battle units:
    - Not everyone being a parkour-ninja master anymore, never again, pretty please?
    - Reflect the unit equipment on the battle map. This way there will be a even higher unit variety, and it will not be just delicious eyecandy!
    - Units being able to surrender (both enemy and yours).
    - Been able to capture and use enemy equipment on the battle map and keep it on the campaign map, like ships.

Battle mechanics:
    - The higher ground bonus for ranged units. I'm not a physics PHD, but I think that having the higher ground should give the ranged units a little bit more range, like it use to be.
    - Units attacked from behind should turn and engage intermediately, unless they are already engaged.
    - Being able to betray an ally or been betrayed on the battlefield by an ally.
    - Capturing some enemy units that rout and all of those that surrender (if the faction and era context is appropriated) and then ask for a ransom, or even to join you on the battle field.
    - More deployable defenses on battle maps. Maybe for both sides.
    - Being able to assign objectives a la fire&forget to your own and ally troops before and/or during battles. This could help to manage AI allies and larger (than 20 units) armies.

Campaign

Campaign Map:
    - A bigger, global map. This is more a rant/petition than actually a suggestion, I know that games should have a limited scope, but you almost made it with Empire!!!
    - Allow renaming objects like towns, units and even armies.

Campaign mechanics:
    - Optional 2, 4, 6 or 12 turns per year natively supported in the game. I think this is a pretty elemental one and honestly I'm surprised you haven't implemented something along this lines yet.
    - Having truly civil wars and delegation of power. Cities with governors that auto build, recruit and defend the province if you want/allow them, but that also can rebel and try to coup on you if let unchecked or you are a lousy ruler.

Diplomacy
    - Being able to force peace between to factions.
    - Being able to negotiate with lands.
    - Being able to ask an ally or friendly clan to attack/hold specific objectives/areas on the campaign map.

Cities and towns
    - Add coastal cities.
    - Bring back the individual tax levels for every city, while retaining a global bar to adjust every province at the same time.
    - Allow the moving of the capital.
    - A better application of population mechanics. More close to Rome Total War, but having different kinds of population and that require a balance that affects the civil order, income and troop types availability.
    - Different amounts of wealth should be assigned to every kind of population, in order to allow more differentiation between classes.
    - A combination between the old and the new building system. Where you can build several buildings at the same time, but have not a limit in the max quantity of slots. Instead the labor available to build would the cap on how fast one can build up.
    - Cities and building requiring labor, in order to really bring the population numbers to the strategic equation.
    - Don't restrict the number of buildings every province could have.
    - Every town/special building in the province can be garrisoned, like they used to be in Empire and Napoleon.
    - Every town/special building in the province can be captured individually.
    - Resuming the last two options In a short sentence, make the special towns/buildings essentially smaller cities, that with enough investment and time can grow on pair of the province capitals.
    - Give me back the chance to look at MY cities. And if you don't want to make individual maps for every province, then give me the chance to customize my cities from here. (see the unique maps for every province's castle or customizable maps point)

Army mechanics
    - Simultaneous movement of all the armies at the end of the turn. In this way intercepting and ambushing get a whole new meaning and we will loose some of the advantages over the AI, making the game more fun and challenging.
    - Being able to retrain/re-equip units.
    - Change the max size of armies and its caps. Having the max size of a army depending of the general stats and some logistical technology tree.
    - Supply system for armies and navies, this could give a whole new immersion level to the strategic map!
    - Re-filling ranks in enemy provinces, as long the army is connected to it's supply route.
    - Rōnin and mercenaries in other games should be recruited with the old mercenary system, and their availability should be directly proportional to the number of factions defeated, like it happen on real life.
    - The recruitment of units should affect not only the population numbers but the balance of the types of populations. Implementing the different population mechanics will means that every kind of unit could need different kinds and numbers of population, affecting differently the population balance of the city they are recruited.
    - The difference between the different units (professional or not) could be given by military training buildings on the province/city they are recruited, affecting not only theirs stats, but their train cost and time, their upkeep and their look on the battlefield.
    - A levy, or temporal units system, working in conjunction with the point above.
    - Better troop transport representation on the sea. This has been discussed several other times. It was OK right to Medieval 2, when sea battles where abstract too. Now that you have bring this awesome battles to the series, this issue needs to be tackle with a little bit more serious approach.

Agents
    - A bit different agent mechanics, read the point in this because is too large to resume, also I made this point based on a criminal agent like the shinobi, other more official agents like emissaries should be recruited in regular buildings like they use to.

Moding
    - Make some mod tools! For real! I understand that you may don't release them for the current game, but have them ready and release them as soon you release the next game. That would increase/revive the sales of the former one. And in this way you will be able to draw a clear line in what things are legal or not to mod, while making a lot of fans happy at the same time!

Format of delivery and other stuff
    - The game should have a version that don't need steam or anything like that, just a old serial and good to go. Hell you can ship it with no steam multiplayer support and price it even higher! I'll buy it over the steam one any day of the week!
    - Include a LAN battle and campaign option. Are you really that much afraid about piracy?!

DLC policy
    - Please make them more juicy, you could charge higher if they really add new content to the game...

The explanation of every point is here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...25#post9551825
    Last edited by Lord Baal; June 03, 2011 at 02:47 PM.

I only have a request: Modding support

This could take the form of a game editor much like Starcraft 2 editor, which would allow players to make their own custom battles or campaigns. CA could reap the benefit of this the same way that blizzard does. If not, release some tools to edit the game files or at least help the modders understand how the game files works. The game should be build with less hardcoded limits as well.

Indefinitely Banned

@ craig total war what do you want in the next total war?

Zack-Stefy's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Zack-Stefy View Post
    Mod tools!
    and..something like M&B where you can control your "hero"
    Just imagine , you control your army like in medieval 2/rome, and then jump into a soldier skin and kill enemies... And your soldier can get "character traits".Total War tried this with "Spartan Total Warrior"
    Guys,do you want something like this?
    this!