Page 1 of 107 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature requests - what's missing from Total War?

CraigTW's Avatar Ducenarius

CA Developer Icon Feature requests - what's missing from Total War?

Mods, feel free to sticky this or move to a more appropriate forum

Hi guys,

As you know we've always listened to our community. Whether it be from the inclusion of naval battles, or in expanding the multiplayer functionality of our games - we've always taken community feedback seriously at the highest level.

So I'm asking you what you'd most like to see in future Total War games or expansions. What features would you like that you feel are missing from the game?

Please don't use this thread to complain about bugs - but feel free to be as specific as you like about features you're interested in.

Be imaginative, be honest and you never know, they might end up in an expansion or in the next major incarnation of Total War!

Craig

Wodeson's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Feature requests - what's missing from Total War?

Of all the various things I'd like to see, Modding Tools are at the top of my own personal wish list.
    When in doubt, attack.

more terrain styles and castle styles please

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Wodeson View Post
    Of all the various things I'd like to see, Modding Tools are at the top of my own personal wish list.

That.

Or at least a campaign map that doesn't need a PhD to decode so we could make changes to it.

ALSO:
    Perhaps a document or something to help modders understand how things work. The map guys working on the pathfinding for example, need some help. 2-3 pages on the back of the manual would go a long way to improve modability. At the very least they would make the public aware that there are mods and work being done with them.
    Last edited by alhoon; June 02, 2011 at 03:44 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Dominicvs's Avatar Biarchus

I don't want to ask for anything specific...but:

-Well, personally more historical accuracy, particually more on the battlefield, needs to be a bigger focus, as you guys are leading the historical strategy gaming world, we expect to have fully accurate uniforms, larger fields, etc... in future (maybe for a particular Rome 2) TW games.

-And full expansions on disk, not just DLC expansions, please CA.

-Moddability is a big one, we keep sales going for years after release!

-Or just look at RTW and what you did there for guidance, thats my very simple advice. RTW was and still is the most immersive TW, and it remains immersive for 8 years and counting

(A side suggestion, get SEGA to allow you to spend more time on the game before releasing it, at least a couple more months, to iron out everything and implement the big ideas you wanted to but didn't have the time for, it will be worth it. Trust the community on this one, we'll wait for you guys to deliver a better game!)
    Last edited by Dominicvs; June 02, 2011 at 03:48 AM.

The possibility to betray your Ally on the battlefield and join your enemy. However you have to sign an agreement with your ''enemy'' before you can do that.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Moddability on par with M2TW / RTW...
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

i forgot to say aswell too add the diploymacy option to give settlements to other factions please

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Separate graphics options for campaign map and battle map.
    A better reinforcement system.

Quote Originally Posted by gittany View Post
    i forgot to say aswell too add the diploymacy option to give settlements to other factions please
    ^

♫♥ ƬƦƛƝƇЄ ƑƠƦЄƔЄƦ ♥♫

Dominicvs's Avatar Biarchus

For a possible Total War: Rome II (shhh), possibly a small Campaigns of Caesar and the Roman Civil War campaigns, or a campaign about the Roman dominance of Britannia, starting from Claudius in 43AD and the rest is history. Just my two cents for a random idea!

As big fun of the TW saga from the very beginning , My biggest dream was and still is to play on a very very large and detailed map : P Infact On Every total war games, after a month, That You Play On The Same map with the same 100 provincies , playing even 100 times that siege to conquer That specific region, well it get a bit boring. I think it will add a lot of realism if the Creative Assembly higly Increase the number of region. For example As for Shogun 2, japan as it would be great to see the Same thing for Europe, with a very big, Detailed map . Like this you will not Have to conquer 1 province to conquer France , or 3 to conquer half europe or just take a turn to go from paris to Berlin for example.
    Infact I think total war has Always Been the best game Strategical, for battle, management, But I think right now That There Are Several Strategical games, That "beat" TotalWar on the "map", so Total War in my opinions should concentrate more on this aspect .

Another great features will be the "Unique" of each cities . Infact When on Rome Total War and Medieval, This Was not so bad and noticable since the terrain Was always different etc But from Empire total War when i can I always skip sieges, and in Shogun Total War 2, i dont play Them Completely, Because The Same terrain with the same map and battle for Every town, well That is very unrealistic and not fun at all. I think if TotalWar start to work on this, It Would be a very great feature.

Well i have many others features, I think a will improve total war , But for now I just stick with this 2

Thanks for your time, very appreciated.

Willy.
    Last edited by Lord Willy; June 02, 2011 at 04:02 AM.

Guidrion's Avatar Miles

More internal affairs in the lign of what has been made in Shogun II.

- Random factions within your faction: isolationnists, expansionnists, religious reformists, heretics, religious fanatics, independantists. Making your management of your country more difficult.

Example: I rule Italy but Naples wants more freedom. Southern Italy nobles are gathering around the ruler of Naples, sending me demands and actions of construction and troops mustering more expensive. At the same time, Venise got infected by heretics, making Milan (very faithful christians) angry. Public order is falling in both places, loyalty also if I do nothing. At the same time, roman new leaders, being very young, are boring and want to find military glory. You should send theim to war or face the risk that they will do it on their own funds and troops.

If I do nothing: Naples get independant, roman nobles are now waring across the Adriatic against former allies now angry at me for not keeping my men behind me, Milan attacked Venise and placed its cousins on Venise throne. The milanese are now angry at me for being such a poor christian and want to get independant. My rule is now compromized.

- Characters being associated with their provinces (in case of feudal era) and becoming a general unit only by request. Much more options: titles, marriages, etc.
    - possibility of raising the feudal troops: costs a lot but you get an army raised by your vassals.
    - Private wars: sometimes, your vassals raise themselves their feudal army, making the option unavailable for some turns.
    - Royal court: a large "institution" where I can place various people to insure loyalty: papal advisers, sons of the nobility, hostages, etc.

Special options of political reforms:
    I take my example further:
    - I can grant a new title to Naples to ease his ego, giving him auto-management. At this point, Naples has to be more satisfied or it will turn into an actual faction.
    - I can send the inquisition to Venise, getting unrest and new rulers for it, making Milan happy but Venise gets poorer.
    - I can give Venise a law of religious tolerance, making it happy but angrying Milan.

Chopy's Avatar Decanus

Mod tools , modders will do everything else.

ability to bring in siege equipment during reinforcement battles please

Proper sieges. This jumping over walls stuff of Empire/Napoleon/Shogun 2 is not doing it for me.

Darkpriest667's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Stallion View Post
    I don't want to ask for anything specific...but:

-Well, personally more historical accuracy, particually more on the battlefield, needs to be a bigger focus, as you guys are leading the historical strategy gaming world, we expect to have fully accurate uniforms, larger fields, etc... in future (maybe for a particular Rome 2) TW games.

-And full expansions on disk, not just DLC expansions, please CA.

-Moddability is a big one, we keep sales going for years after release!

-Or just look at RTW and what you did there for guidance, thats my very simple advice. RTW was and still is the most immersive TW, and it remains immersive for 8 years and counting

(A side suggestion, get SEGA to allow you to spend more time on the game before releasing it, at least a couple more months, to iron out everything and implement the big ideas you wanted to but didn't have the time for, it will be worth it. Trust the community on this one, we'll wait for you guys to deliver a better game!)

The highlighted part. Print 500 copies and give it to everyone at CA and SEGA that works in the PC gaming department.

Haven't bought a game from you guys since ETW. Have not bought a DLC from you since. We were told that the delay for ETW was to help with mod tools that have still not been provided for the warscape engine.

You do those things above and I'll buy every DLC NTW and S2TW the day it happens. Release a good or at least stable game, give the modders the tools theyve asked for and you said you would give. Let them do the rest. Release full expansions on disk TRUST ME we will buy them.

You guys can spend more time making money and less time fixing things or making things extra that our community can do for free. A 30 to 50 dollar expansion that everyone buys makes you more money than 5 dollar DLC that a fraction of your consumer base will buy. This isn't hard. Its economics and math.
    In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k @ stock
    CPU HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212+
    MOBO:ASrock Fatal1ty p67 professional series
    RAM: Gskill 16380MB @ 1600mhz
    GPU: XFX 6970 2048MB
    PSU: Corsair TX850M
    CASE: Coolermaster HAF 932
    HDD: 2 x Samsung F3 spinpoint 1TB each
    ODD: Asus DVD Burner 22x

What I would like to see is for the campaign map:
    You have the sea trade routes, however army's can go wherever they want in enemy territory and only if it's winter time they will get attrition.
    What I would like to see is that every army that is not inside a city has his own personal "supply line" running from the army itself to the nearest city. Enemy army's can cut off this supply line at the back of an invading army, and cause attrition to the army without ever attacking the army itself. If the nearest city is overseas it goes trough the point where the army first landed and then follows the route oversea, allowing for ships to plunder it and thus also causing attrition to the invading army.
    Offcourse the army has a considerable amount of supply's with them at first, but they will run out if they don't get suplies over some time. And what I mean by that is that the attrition is very low at first(only like 10 men at an army of 10k), but if the raiding lasts for a few turns more and more men will die.

The invading force is then left with a number of choices, do nothing and slowly get wiped out.
    Wipe out the defending force raiding their supply line.
    Plunder farms and other buildings in the province that give food, and thus get immunity for plunder for a couple of turns.
    Take an enemy town and station there.

Love your games from Shogun 1 and onward keep it up

1. What I would like to see is some sort of independent character of the units or extra options for customising the unit's behaviour in battle. I understand that this sounds vague, so let me give some examples:
    - if a unit which is frontally engaged is also attacked from the sides/ rear it should get pinned and unable to respond to player's commands.
    - if an idle friendly unit is attacked and the enemy exposes a flank to a 2nd friendly unit, the 2nd friendly unit should attack automatically (unless in guard mode).
    - cavalry should have the option to auto charge-disengage-charge-disengage against an enemy unit.
    - if an idle unit is attacked from behind, it should automatically turn around and start fighting back.
    - if a unit is under heavy missile attack it should cower/ protect itself (raising shields) and unable to respond to player's commands at the benefit of its defense while the missile attack keeps on.
    Units should want to do or be forced to do certain actions under certain circumstances. The player should be kept informed of the unit's behaviour at all times. I believe that the above could bring even more life and immersion to the battlefield.

2. More transparency (i.e. information) in the battlefield and on the campaign map. I want to be better informed why things are the way they are and I want to know how I can change things (own and enemies' economy, diplomatic relationships of enemies etc.)

3. Consider re-using some of the features from previous TW games that are now abandoned (you could also make a thread what previous features the players want to see again). One example: the "dread" of generals from MTW.

4. Modding tools will be much appreciated obviously

5. More diplomatic options on the campaign map.

6. Where is the dinosaur game you promised on April 1st ?!?!
    |--------------------------------------------------|
    |Patience is a virtue. Indecision is a vice.|
    |--------------------------------------------------|

In game unit creator, where player can create custom units and decides what kind of armour, equipment and traning unit receives, and cost is based on that. Something like Avatar creation, but in SP.
    I remember old Bullfrog game "Realms", with something like that
    More "realistic" battle system, not fast-click oriented. Maybe unit orders could be set before battle, and not too easily changed (orders delay, couriers?). This way pre battle set formations would have more impact on the battle (I also think AI would be much better menagable then). It might sound weird, but do you remember "Centurion"? Those battles were simple, but there was something quite realistic about them. And you could give orders only to those units in general's voice range.
    Modding tools. If you don't, maybe someone else will make those, or similiar changes?

Under the Patronage of: Ishan