View Poll Results: do you like the new turn approach?

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

39 16.46%
  • no

198 83.54%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The years vs. turns fiasco

Default The years vs. turns fiasco

do you like this 225 turn thing with no years and each turn representing like 3 years?
    yes or no?
    [BIG MTW2 SIG]
    Skyhigh - can't go out at night because he'd bump his head on the stars.

no no no no! at the very LEAST turns should be editable easily by modders!

Hell no.

Adnan

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Since there is no "I don't care" option, I voted yes.
    I can see the advantages it will bring to mods.

Vorenus's Avatar Libertus
    south carolina(want to be in eroupe either Irland or germany)

the way the have it now years are better. If they made the turns make sense it would be better.

The turns should be far shorter. It simply ruins the effect of a game if it takes several years to walk from one side of Italy to the other. You could walk from one side of Eurpoe to the other in the time. Well, maybe you could. But my point is made.
    I do not spell check my posts. Please do not point out spelling errors. I am literate but I am also lazy.

He who fights and runs away lives to die another day.

rez
    Yes Lord Snibb is mostly right

Dude I don't see why everyone thinks its so bad when it takes 4 turns (2 years) to walk from england to spain. Sure its not realy realistic, but who the hell cares? We call it gameplay and if we could just walk around the map like in real life nothing could be done on a turn based game.

Vorenus's Avatar Libertus
    south carolina(want to be in eroupe either Irland or germany)

the thing is there is 225 turns and people age every 2 turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_Kikla
    Dude I don't see why everyone thinks its so bad when it takes 4 turns (2 years) to walk from england to spain. Sure its not realy realistic, but who the hell cares? We call it gameplay and if we could just walk around the map like in real life nothing could be done on a turn based game.
    the thing is is that you could go from england to spain in well under a year
    [BIG MTW2 SIG]
    Skyhigh - can't go out at night because he'd bump his head on the stars.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Undecided, i'm gonna wait and see how CA's new approach works out when I play the game before I make my jugement.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

I dislike the idea, but not to the point where it's going to be a game breaker. From a historical standpoint (i.e. sticking to historical events) the idea sucks, of course the fact that they aren't doing the era system is another aggravating hang up for me.

I kind of wish they would have changed back to the seasonal approach...
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side.

If this is definatley going to be implemented, it will make the game a bit worse. One reason I have come up with is that movement points are going to be increased, this means that there are going to be more seige battles since armies can move more a turn and can therefore take a city, and then exterminate it's populace and continue on to the next city in the same turn. This is one of the many reasons why I am against it, but if CA are able to implement it properly, and by properly meaning accurate, and in a fun way, I will have no problem with it.

Adnan

I don't care what the devs make the settings at as long as they make an .ini file where I can easily alter the settings and not have the bloody game crash at startup afterward.

IMO this turns thing just shows that they want to put less effort into the game.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

This new turn system is a very bad idea.

One of the reasons CA are doing it is because they are too lazy to edit the text files and descr_regions file to make 2 extra campaigns. They are too concerned with people rushing and conquering europe in 100 turns, or less.

This is solved quite easily. Make the AI better. Increase upkeeps for units, standing armies hardly existed in the medieval period and maintaining an army for too long could bankcrupt a nation. If you lose an army it will be a long and expensive process to rebuild it...this would increase the length and difficulty of the game dramatically.

I also don't like the new turn system because it ruins immersion. It is far cooler to see a site of famous battle say 'Here in 1066, William the Conquerer did beat the Saxon King Harold" rather than "In turn 11, Bill beat Harold". When I look at the date I want to see how much better or worse I'm doing than the real faction did at that particular date. Historical events will be messed up or not be there at all!

I really don't care if the game is 225 turns long, I care that CA are too lazy to actually make a 500+ turn game interesting by splitting it up into managable chunks.

One of the reasons CA are doing it is because they are too lazy to edit the text files and descr_regions file to make 2 extra campaigns.
    EXACTLY as i'm thinking.

They should have an early, middle, and late campaign. However this just shows they are blatently lazy and/or uncreative to of come up with this.

Hell at each era they could even have different factions. Look at Knights of Honor, for example, thats how they do it. - not that the game is something you want to emulate however that is one good feature.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Voted yes, as there isn't a not sure option.

I want to actually play the game and see if it works. From what CA have been saying, they want to improve gameplay, and this is one of the ways they are trying to doing it. As for not being able to get immersed in hisotry, i couldn't care less about that. I just want a great game.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by TB666
    Since there is no "I don't care" option, I voted yes.
    I can see the advantages it will bring to mods.
    I agree. Besides, I don't understand why people are making such a fuzz about it.
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

GVP's Avatar Miles

I voted no. I think this would take a lot of realism out of the game.

But i can see why CA did this. The game takes place during all of middle ages and for us not to complete it to fast they made one turn last 3 years.

I don like the idea of my armies marching so long from one point on the map to the other. So much for my medival lightning war.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast