Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Turtle Faction?

KingCrr's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Best Turtle Faction?

Ive been turtling with Pergamum and defending against Macedon. I took a couple of their territories and stopped. I took Athens and all the Greek islands as well. I expanded east to the four settlements that are lined up to form sort of a wall of cities. Im building them up to be fortified with stone walls.

I was attacked by Pontus and brought my king with a few experienced upgraded hoplites, a couple heavy calvary and some archres to aid the city againts 2 half stacks from Pontus. I was thoroughly wiped out and my Great King killed and the settlement taken. My first non auto-resolve loss of my campaign. I had no answer for the 4 horse chariots and there horse archers. My hoplites held until 2 units of phalangites converged on them. Now im building up an invasion force with my new King, who was the old kings son, who has great stats with a respectable 6 stars. The Pontusites will pay. No more turtling for me. On top of this the Seulucids have attacked. I have an alliance with Armenia as well. This has the makings of a huge Eastern war. Ive dispatched a diplomat to see where the Parthians stand. They are the wildcard.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

After reading this thread i was inspired to start a turtle campaign with sparta. It is indeed pretty easy to turtle after you take all of southern greece as there is only one entrance into it. The question is how long to turtle? Im at the point where ive got about 80k and i dont have anything to spend it on. Im thinking of taking on the Romans. Any suggestions?

ImperialAquila's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    After reading this thread i was inspired to start a turtle campaign with sparta. It is indeed pretty easy to turtle after you take all of southern greece as there is only one entrance into it. The question is how long to turtle? Im at the point where ive got about 80k and i dont have anything to spend it on. Im thinking of taking on the Romans. Any suggestions?
    I suggest taking Sicily or Southern Italy first. Secure an alliance with Carthage. However if you still want to turtle for a few more turns, Take Northern Greece all the way up to Macedon.

On topic

I don't use this strategy but, I'd say the Belgae and Cimbri because of their starting locations. Sparta and Pergamum are pretty decent enough. Their economy could be easily developed. But they are surrounded by a lot of superpowers.

Acheron's Avatar Libertus

I think Sparta and also Pergamon, Myself i feel after playing so many times in wich i build a huge empire and have to manage it and all its armies, spies, navies, garrison, generals etc etc its gets a little tedious, but when you have just one main City only or maybe 1 or 2 allied cities aswell, and you aim is to stay independant and small it can make for a really tough game, and as ive been doing myself recently i pretend a little non historicaly that say Sparta never adopted phalangites and retained a professional hoplite army, makes battles harder but you be supruised what a hoplite army in a deep formation can do to it's supperior and after fighting and when they get experience up they are great for your main battle line

Also if i play as rome, sometime i let Hannibal win and allow the rebellion to swing fully in to effect and i gather my generals and what troops i can and bugger off to Emporiae and begin to build in Iberia, then its kind of like your and exiled faction or something lol, just been trying these recently for kicks, along with House rules obviously, currently playing one turn and on H/H
    Last edited by Acheron; October 23, 2011 at 01:56 AM.
    'However long the night, the dawn will break'

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Once you conguered hwole Italy, Rome. Carthage is also safely, if you retreat from Italy to africa
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

alexanderswift's Avatar Senator

Gallaeci.

Though it may be a challenge to take Iberia, once you do you can easily hold it, not only that you'll be incredibly rich.

Parthia is a good turtle faction
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Pardon my french and noobness, but what the is turtling?
    (Edit): Nevermind, I just found it on wikipedia. And as for me turtling, well yes and no. I have a nice balancing act I suppose.
    Last edited by First Citizen Gallienus; October 23, 2011 at 02:07 PM.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Turtling? From experience, it doesn't seem to work in RSII. If you leave the other nations to it, while you sit back and slowly build up your supposedly unbeatable military, they will eat each alive until 3 or 4 mega-factions rise from the proverbial dust. And these will be a to beat. And if they gang up on you, you're done for. In RSII, you must always be aggressive, always swallowing up land, only stopping to catch your breath when your empire stretches from the Rock of Gibraltar to the Hanging Gardens of Babylon!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Turtling? From experience, it doesn't seem to work in RSII. If you leave the other nations to it, while you sit back and slowly build up your supposedly unbeatable military, they will eat each alive until 3 or 4 mega-factions rise from the proverbial dust. And these will be a to beat. And if they gang up on you, you're done for. In RSII, you must always be aggressive, always swallowing up land, only stopping to catch your breath when your empire stretches from the Rock of Gibraltar to the Hanging Gardens of Babylon!!!!!!!
    Have you employed this strategy in a Roman campaign, and if so how did the second rebellion treat you?

In my experience I tend to take a middle path, building my economy and then launching limited campaigns before settling down to work on economy/infrastructure again. Rinse. Repeat.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Turtling? From experience, it doesn't seem to work in RSII.
    At least with Rome, it works after first 10 turns. I did it many times.. Though i lost 3 legions becsoe of that (segmetanta legions so i couldn`t re-recruit them (my house rule)
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12