Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Midgard

Default Project Midgard

You'll forgive me if this is going to be a bit pretentious.

So, a while ago I wondered what to do to make Minecraft more interesting for me. After all, how many castles can you build? On the original multiplayer server I had really enjoyed linking up settlements by road - cutting them into hillsides, bridging ravines and waterways, passing through mountains. So I started a new map where I had the intention of building far flung settlements, and linking them up. The idea being that it would become more of a "world" - not just a few buildings plopped randomly down.

You've already seen my two first settlements in this world - the Saxon themed Heorot and Windmill Hill. Now I've struck out, inspired my Mangerman's city, and found an area I want to build a major, European style, town.

Now - obviously I'm heavily influenced by Mangerman here but before I started building I decided that I didn't just want to build an image of a building we see in our own towns - I wanted this one to mean a bit more, to symbolise something.

For me this meant the typical castles and cathedrals were out of the question - these are just hangovers of an oppressive past, in my opinion. I did not want to build that. But then what? I decided that if not oppression, then it should be something that symbolised freedom, so I decided I would contruct a Parliament. Again, this wasn't quite right... it sort of suggests corruption... not necessarily what I wanted. So I mixed it up with a bit of science.

Please note that unlike my other projects to date this was build with Single Player Commands. i.e. I spawned my resources.

So here's the start of the city. It's based on the Natural History Museum in London, and the Westminster Parliament:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So here is the exterior. The front and the glass roof over the main chamber are inspired by the Natural History Museum in London.

In the front centre are two lobbies. The two towers either side are empty, and there is a stair well running down the back of both. The two lobbies lead to the main chamber in the centre of the building, the public viewing gallery above, two coridoors running the length of the building and a library on the end.

This is the main lobby that you enter as you walk through the front door. Here doors lead to the main chamber, the coridoors, the stairs and the towers.

The main chamber is loosely based on the House of Commons, although you can see the Natural History Museum's glass roof. There is a public viewing gallery over the chamber.

Coridoors run the length of the building, leading to the rear of the chamber and the library.

I'm really, really happy with this. This is the first building I have made that I don't have regrets over. I think technically I've also done what nobody in the community is done before - different interiors to the exterior - in this case, wooden panneled interiors hiding the stone exterior. I think it's worked excellently, and gives the entire thing quite an organic feel.

I welcome suggestions for the next building.

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

Default Re: Project Midgard

Very nice, I like what you did with the wooden pannels on the inside.

Wundwolf's Avatar Tiro

Looks good. Very detailed!

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Very nice.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

You can consider me jealous.

As for the panelling, such a simple idea yet effective idea, why haven't I used it yet?

I'd experiment with a different floor than simple grass though. To me it seems out of place
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Tuor's Avatar Senator

I can definitely see the influence of the Museum on this. Nice work, Ferrets.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

That's lovely Ferrets.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    You can consider me jealous.

As for the panelling, such a simple idea yet effective idea, why haven't I used it yet?

I'd experiment with a different floor than simple grass though. To me it seems out of place
    In these pictures I was still waiting for the grass to expand. I've added some flowers and trees, now.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Are you using a different texture pack for that? It seems there are already tons of mods for this game, but not a lot of info on them here.

There's few mods but many texture packs. This would be the John Smith texture pack.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...th-customizer/

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Are you using a different texture pack for that? It seems there are already tons of mods for this game, but not a lot of info on them here.
    There is an exstensive list of mods/texturepacks on the official Minecraft forums: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...ols-maps-list/

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    There's few mods but many texture packs. This would be the John Smith texture pack.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...th-customizer/
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangerman View Post
    There is an exstensive list of mods/texturepacks on the official Minecraft forums: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...ols-maps-list/
    Yeah I found a bunch of them, they are pretty disorganized over there. I also cant stand all the "Support my stuff" links and crap like that.

Do we have any Minecraft modders or texture pack creators here?

Yeah I found a bunch of them, they are pretty disorganized over there. I also cant stand all the "Support my stuff" links and crap like that.
    Yeah, luckily sometimes they also put up normal links to their downloads.

Do we have any Minecraft modders or texture pack creators here?
    Not that I am aware off.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

someone is wondering if minecraft should get twc modsupport

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    someone is wondering if minecraft should get twc modsupport
    Absolutely I am wondering that. I think I said before that I wasnt too keen on even granting a Minecraft forum. I have been happily surprised at the amount of traffic this little subforum is getting. 29,000 posts since last fall is pretty good, much better than some other sections I could mention. Obviously there is interest in this game, and given that its still in beta it can only get bigger. If there are modders on TWC that are interested in working on this, I will setup a Mod Workshop for them.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Yea, don't think we have any real modders, just a few guys who have made some skins

By the way, Ferrets, it's looking real nice, I almost think THAT should be our city hall

It's suitable for the task, and if you wanted the design, I would upload a file.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Gunny View Post
    Yea, don't think we have any real modders, just a few guys who have made some skins

By the way, Ferrets, it's looking real nice, I almost think THAT should be our city hall
    SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE

And looking very nice, ferrets! I would say the towers are a bit short and disproportionate judging by their relation to the roof.
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I think it looks awesome. Makes my stuff look like stick men drawn by a 5 yr old.

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

I think it looks awesome. Makes my stuff look like stick men drawn by a 5 yr old.
    We all start off like that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast