Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mount and Blade: Warband

Petrov's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Mount and Blade: Warband

A Land of Bastards! (Swords...) – M&B Warband
    Now, Mount and Blade was not popular for its Graphics, nor its story (Seeing as it doesn’t really have one...) but what made it extremely popular was its amazing freedom not only to do whatever, and literally WHATEVER you want.
    Now if you played it before, you will tell me I am a liar or very weird. Well, that was not its only great selling point. The truth is, what made M&B shine was its amazing Moddability. There were mods for nearly everything, from China during WWII to the Napoleonic era M&B had such variety that most owners poured hundreds of hours into it! But I never really had the complete experience, I was to late and missed the bandwagon. But what I was in time for was its so called ‘Sequel’ Mount and Blade : Warband. Would it live up to our expectations? Is t really a sequel, or just a tiny addon?
    Read on to find out!

Factions/Backgrounds
    Mount and Blade Warband is set in the fictional land of Calradia, home to 6 very different countries and in varying landscapes each faction consists of 1 ruler, 1 claimant and about 20 vassals.
    First up we have the ‘Kingdom of Vaegir’ a large snowy wasteland ruled by, what it looks like, normal Europeans inspired my Eastern traditions. For instance, they seem to dress and fight like the Russians did during the Medieval Periods.
    Vaegir = Russia
    Secondly, we have the Nords. The Nords take a lot of inspiration from Norse (Hence the similar name) and warriors like the Vikings. You can easily tell seeing as they are illustrated in Longboats and have armour and fighting styles similar to those of Norsemen and also have NO cavalry whatsoever.
    Nord = Viking
    Thirdly we have Swadia, which seems to be a hybrid of Britain and France. They sport very heavy cavalry (having the best Knights of the game) and prefer Crossbows over that of anything else.
    Swadia = Western Europe
    Next up we have the Rodok. They come from a Mountainous region similar to Switzerland and sport Heavy Pikemen, no Cavalry, and Crossbows. They seem to be heavily influenced by Swiss Mercenaries.
    Rodok = Switzerland
    Then there’s the Middle Eastern based faction of Khergit Khanate. Seeing as I don’t know much about the middle east I cannot pinpoint the exact country. They have few to no infantry at all and have very light cavalry, there cavalry mainly consists of Horse Archers and Lancers.
    Khergit = Middle East???
    And lastly, we have the, what seems to be, the Arabian based faction of Sarranid Sultanate. They mainly sport Heavy Cavalry and Heavy Infantry and are settled in the desert area of Calradia.
    Sarranid = Arabia
    7/10 – Extremely interesting factions, especially when you get to know all the Characters.

Gameplay
    Gameplay in Warband varies from riding around pillaging villages to selling and buying delicate furs from different cities to profit, there is ALOT of things to do. Basically you start off after creating your unique character with a bit of equipment, some food, and basically nothing to do (Other than an optional starting quest.) So what do you WANT to do? First off you would want to ride around to different towns gathering troops in the cartoonish over world, perhaps fighting off a few bandits and looting them! So like any RPG you level up your character giving them different skills and attributes. But one thing I don’t like about most RPG’s is when youve played a certain character SO much, they become basically indestructible.
    Then there are the battles. They have fairly simple controls and are pretty fun. Mostly just riding around cutting of peoples heads, while shouting orders to your Army, then that reminds me, possibly one of the GREATEST features of all is the fact that you can have as many people in your party as you want! Obviously you will need to have the skill of ‘Leadership’ high or have a decent amount of renown (How well you are.) Currently, my highest level character in Warband can have around 150 soldiers. Then I have an old file in which I used cheats, I had around 240 soldiers in my army.
    There are quite alot more features, this includes making your own Kingdom and being able to explore cities! Really the possibilities are ENDLESS.
    9.5/10 - Really where this game shines!

Presentation
    Sound in Warband really ISNT great but it gets the job done! The music track I believe is originally composed for the game, its a pretty nice and soothing song, but once you play the game aslong as I have. You just want to turn the music OFF. Now to Graphics, well, this is one of the games where certain textures are amazingly shiny and beautiful, and others are just plain PATHETIC. This is really sad considering its a 2010 title...
    6/10 – Gets the Job done, but still kind of meh.

Multiplayer
    The multiplayer in this game is very fun, From defending an entire castle to being given orders in a line battle, the Multiplayer can be very satisfying when you have a good team. Nothing is more fun then being at the front of the battle with your team mates slashing mens arms off or decapitating prisoners. Or just mowing downh hordes of enemys from an Archers tower, Warband multiplayer is VERY addictive, but even then STILL not the Highlight of this game.
    7/10 – Great and very Innovative Multiplayer

Replay Ability
    The replay ability for this game is really amazing, I am only on my third character and I have played this game TONNES! Theres just so much to do! Really, you could spend an entire play through just trading! Even TRADING is fun. Even after you have made your own faction, you truly won’t want to stop playing until you (or your faction) is in control of ALL Calradia.

Final Verdict
    Mount and Blade Warband is an addictive and extremely fun game, though it only adds a a few new features, it is STILL worth the buy and an excellent game either way. From great mods to Playing with friends, Mount and Blade Warband gets a Solid Score of
    7.25/10

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Everyone, please give me contrsuctive criticism, tips and tricks, and even help my grammar? I am fairly neew to this and would LOVE feedback.
    Last edited by Petrov; October 31, 2010 at 03:36 AM.

Libertus
    In a time machine to travel back to Roman times.

Default Re: The Land of Bastards (Swords...) - M&B Warband

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S AMAZING! I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYONE PUT THAT MUCH EFFORT OF TWC!!!!
    Suck!!!I'm a traceur of parkour and I can do awesome jumps!!!

The Blessed Helper

Helper of all. I will help all with all their problem

Wow? I dont think I have dont THAT good, I mean thanks but theres some reviewers MUCH better then me.

Libertus
    In a time machine to travel back to Roman times.

I know but still it's awesome
    Suck!!!I'm a traceur of parkour and I can do awesome jumps!!!

The Blessed Helper

Helper of all. I will help all with all their problem

... Cool? I Guess I haz myself fan.

Pretty good mate. You reviewed most of the important parts. Nice one.
    Son of Major Darling | House of Caesars | Content Writer | My Workshop | Moderator

Hahha, thanks man.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Actually the khergit khanate is based off of mongolia/asia not the middle east.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

That shows you actually read it

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Excellent review!

But two things:
    - Presentation, you should not have grouped together Music and Graphics, they're too different.
    - You thought the graphics were that bad????!!!! They're really good, and I am moreso basing that on M&B rather than Warband, but I seem to remember the Demo for the latter had better graphics. It is moreso an expansion of the former, rather than a full new release. A better review would review M&B and then Warband's additions. But its still a great review.
    Last edited by Inarus; October 31, 2010 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks for the feedback , I will be sure NOT to group Graphics and Sound together.

How did you come up with the overall point? Just the average of all the points? I'm a fan of the game, so obviously I'm heavily biased. However, I'm one of those guys who don't care too much for the aesthetic, and concentrate much more on the gameplay. If you're just getting the average of all the criteria, then I don't think it's very fair. Things like music, should much less weight then things like gameplay and presentation and features.

I would also like to ask you why multiplayer only get 7/10. I think it's a fair enough point (although I would have given it 8, but that's just my bias.) The reason I'm asking is because you didn't point out any flaw in the multiplayer, making it sound like a 9, yet gives it a 7. Perhaps you should explore some of the issues that make the multiplayer a 7? Perhaps lag issue, or server issue? Or lack of game mode, and multiplayer features? Just give us a reasoning behind you giving it a 7.

Cheers.
    "My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the Arsenal is no more, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of gooner-ship, but it is not this day. An hour of Spuds and shattered cannons when the Highbury Emirates comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of North London!"
    - Aragooner

It would be a 9, but I didnt play it enough, I only reviewed it based on my experiences. And as for the Final score, its the average. Thanks for the helpfull tips, I really appreciate it!

I am bout to log on to actually playu some multiplayer, wanna play? if so add me on steam (Dozz108)

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Lol makes me want to play the game again.. Btw the Khergit are not so much Middle Easty as they are Asian steppe people/Mongolians, and Rodok in my mind are more about the Italian city-states than switzerland (remember Milan in mtw2 had that annoing mix of Italian spearmen and milaneese crossbowmen.. )

This is a good review.
    thanks for posting

I'd rate it higher. For example, it's certainly got far higher bang for buck than MW2. And it offers a fairly unique experience, combat-system wise.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

maybe khergit are influenced by mongols

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Swadia is the Holy Roman Empire. Rhodok is more Italian states considering it's silk production.
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

As Dewy said, Swadia is the HRE, and Armagan stated numerous times that the Rhodoks are mountain people like the Scots

I love the multiplayer too but I'm horribly bad at it

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

The review is good, but even though I am a newbie, this part is not true:

Really, you could spend an entire play through just trading! Even TRADING is fun.
    You can pretend that you are trading, but actually the game doesn't have a realistic trade system.
    There is no demand which can actually pay for your wares.
    If you buy 20 units of spices, you can maybe sell 4 before the trader runs out of money, which is not realistic.
    You can make a _small_ profit which helps you in the beginning of the game, but you cannot _play through_ just trading.

M&B is a combat game, and very good at that. The most addictive game I found in years. (you know: I will finish just sell of the prisoners as slaves. Ah, and while I am here I destroy these sea raiders. Ok, just this last quest...)

Rhodoks: they seem to be lithuanian to me. Usage of spears and pavese's, with this furs and no heavy cavalry setup, with the elected ruler, resembles pagan lithuania to me, not Switzerland or Italy.

EDIT:
    also worth mentioning is that in my opinion the character system is flawed. The fact that there are limits (for 5 power striker you need 15 strength) forces the player to spend points on skills that he doesn't want to, because he cannot expand the skills he wants because of this limit.
    This is more visible with weapon skills, where I usually dump points to things what I never use, because with weapons I use, I am already better then the weapon master limit. My character is shield+1 hander, but has all weapon types at 100+ because I could never put points into 1 hand weapons.
    This in the long run makes every characters very similar, where only the preferred gear is different.
    Last edited by shikaka; January 07, 2011 at 03:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast