Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher 2

Default The Witcher 2

The Witcher 2 : Assassins of Kings

*possible minor spoilers warning for review*

The Witcher 2 : Assassins of Kings is the new RPG by CD Projekt Red. Beginning shortly after the events of The Witcher, Geralt of Rivia is locked up in prison for a crime he did not commit. The tutorial leads us through the prelude with a series of small events that take place in the past which lead up to Geralts’ imprisonment. Those without a save from the previous instalment (myself included), will through questions and actions, set forth Geralts path for this edition of The Witcher.

The story from beginning to end is engaging and enjoyable, however it can become confusing, especially in early parts if one does not pay close attention to much of the dialogue. There are many characters and events to keep track of. Remembering the names and places and keeping all those names and places straight can be difficult, as the story just begins to unfold. I found this to be a problem early in the game when I would be engaged in dialogue and be asked a crucial question but I could not quite remember who or what was being talked about. This could have been fixed if the player was allowed to reference his journal during conversations, but he is not so some early choices may have been different.

One enjoyable and unexpected part about conversations was that there were a few conversations that Geralt had a timer to answer. Those times were few but were also quite meaningful decisions that effected the story a great deal. The RPG elements of the game are very well done. While most RPGs today have a black and white good/mean answer, and no matter what you choose the outcome will be the same, The Witcher 2 has more moral type answers/choices. The answers one gives will often have a great effect on the direction of the story, rather than different answers leading to the same result. In fact later in the game, and depending on who Geralt sides with, Geralt will be led to entirely different areas for the entire second chapter.

As the story unfolds Geralt is forced to choose two distinct paths. I will not say more of that but depending on the choice one makes he will engage in an entirely different path then the other. This is a fantastic addition to the game and adds a great deal to the replayability. As Geralt travels through his adventure there will be many choices that are difficult as well. For example, does Geralt save the whoores from the burning building or does Geralt leave them to die so he can make his getaway? This is one small example of just one of the choices that need to be made.

Graphically The Witcher 2 is quite beautiful however quite demanding. My computer specs to run the game are as follows: i7-930, 2x5770 ati in crossfire, 6GB 1333mhz RAM. The game allows you to choose 4 preset settings (Ultra, High, Medium, Low) and the ability to adjust anything from there. I played on High with a few of the more demanding features turned off and averaged approximately 30-40FPS throughout the game. I get better frame rates on Crysis with everything on max settings. The game is demanding on the system. Most likely this is due to drivers not being optimized for the game as of yet.

As far as gameplay, it does take some getting used to. When I began I was very frustrated with the combat system; however, after a couple hours and a few levels of talents (they make such a difference), Geralt was soon ripping through enemies quite easily and combat became quite enjoyable. I was one of the few who did not mind the combat in The Witcher 1, I did not like the combat as much in The Witcher 2 but it was still quite good.

I played with mouse/keyboard but it is obvious the menus and interface was designed with a gamepad in mind. Inventory is poorly thought out with no ways to sort different items of the same family. For example Geralt will acquire many many crafting components and he should be able to sort them in some logical fashion. As the game progresses you will acquire a great many items and there should be some way to sort items by weight or alphabetically or something logical.

Looting is the worst aspect of the game. It is very difficult to find the loot of your fallen enemies without spamming your detect item/magic necklace. Many times Geralt will see the loot but just a slight move and it will flash away to be searched for again. This is incredibly frustrating and more thought should have been put into this aspect. The same issue comes up with doors and wall torches. Too often is Geralt meant to open a door but just a slight movement he is lighting a wall torch instead.

Potions are implemented quite different than any other game I have played. Potion buffs must be consumed before the battle. This is a slight annoyance because not knowing if around the next corner could be a difficult battle or not. This leads to Geralt entering a difficult battle, a battle he perhaps could have won with a potion, dies and then on reload drinking a potion before that battle. As Geralt becomes more powerful the only potions he ended up using were for boss fights so it was not that big of an issue. The random type encounters are very easy after a few levels.

That leads me to difficulty. There are 4 difficulty levels (easy, medium, hard, insane). The insane difficulty means that if Geralt dies he dies for good and must start over. I played on medium. Medium for me was fine, there were no areas that I became frustrated and yet I did die often enough to say it was a challenge. For better players they may want to play on hard but medium for myself was fine.

The voice acting is very well done. The characters are believable and quite engaging. The game also handles both sex and harsh language very well. While the language can become R rated at times it never feels forced. It never feels swearing for the sake of swearing, rather the language fits in very well with the atmosphere of the world. Sex is also graphic at times, but like the language it does not seem silly (like the cards in The Witcher 1 or the silly scenes in Bioware products), it fits in well with the characters and feel of the game. I played the GoG version which is non-censored so full nudity and harsh language we included.

Technically I only encountered a few very small problems. For example, one quest I could not finish because as soon as it completed my screen would go black for whatever reason. It was a minor quest and I just ended up not bothering with it. Also, twice for some reason I could not attack anything on the screen for some reason, after a reload though it didn’t happen again. I never crashed to desktop, or encountered any other technical problems from installation to completion of the game other than some occasional frame rate drop in very active areas.

I rarely play through games more than once, but because of the completely different courses of action Geralt can take, as well as different ways that Geralt can be built, this game should be good for more replays then the typical RPG. While not perfect, the UI and controls could have used more thought, it is one of the best RPGs on the market. Dragons Age 2 is probably the only major RPG I have not played since I owned an Apple IIe system (yes I am old) so I cannot compare it to that game; and I hesitate to compare it to the other AAA RPG titles that have been released in the last couple of years (Fallout:New Vegas, Mass Effect 2, Dragons Age:Orgins), but The Witcher 2 : Assassins of Kings is as good or better than any of those. This is high praise indeed, but The Witcher 2 is quite frankly one of the best RPG experiences in the last 10 years. If The Witcher 2 was longer, and that is the sign of a good game (wishing it were longer), it would probably be considered one of the best RPGs in the last 10 years.

To summarize:

Story: 9/10 excellent but occasionally confusing, most notably early.
    Graphics: 9/10 very nice but quite demanding.
    Sound: 10/10 excellent voice acting that rivals any huge developer and music/ambient effects fit in very well.
    Gameplay: 8/10 probably the worst part of the game is the controls, occasionally it seems Geralt does not react as quickly as needed. Looting is bad, the UI is just ok. Definitely feels like the UI was built for a gamepad and not mouse/keyboard. Any PC gamer though should know that is just how games are built now.
    Value: 9/10 from beginning to end probably took me 25-30 hours and it definitely deserves a second play through and perhaps a third to follow all the different paths.

Overall: 9/10

This was my first review I hope you find it useful.

Default Re: The Witcher 2

Good review for your first try, more you will do, the better you will become. One thing that bothers me about your review: The fact that it took you between 25-30 hours, if this is true this game ain't as long as it's predecessor. Just that could make me not buy the game. I will wait and see if other players will add their thoughts.
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

The game is for sure much shorter than the first one. Only 3 main chapters long. Chapters 1 and 2 are most of the game (I did nearly every quest I could find in these). Chapter 3 was quite short (I may have missed a few quests here) and the prelude and prologue are very short. Chapter 2 in the Witcher 1 was incredibly long and nearly the same length of the entire Witcher 2 I think. The reply value in Witcher 2 is much higher I feel however.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

It was very good, much better than Witcher 1 at least. The combat takes some getting used to and IMO needed a better introduction and tutorial.

The graphics were fantastic, both character models and backgrounds the only games I've played to rival it are Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Crysis, and honestly there's something about Crysis's graphics that make me not like it quite as much as the other two. Other games might be better but the level/character design and attention to detail in those two make me absolutely love their visuals.

The story was very good, but I'm not sure exactly how much your decisions mattered, I'll have to play through again to see.

I also thought the voice acting was good but some of the worst VA was actually from Geralt, who has the most lines in the game. I guess they are kind of stuck with that voice even though they have a much bigger budget now.

I had some other small problems with it but overall a great game. 8.7/10
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

The greatest gripe with me was the standard "consolized" 65 degree FOV of this game. How come a game advertised as "PC friendly" has such flaw, and worse yet, doenst allow me to change FOV via console like some recent FPSes?

If you have issue with lowish FoV of multiplatform FPS/TPSes, stay away from this game. I ended up quitting before even reaching Kraken (the monster with tentacles).

I have no idea why FOV is such a large issue that it causes you to quit the game before playing half of the first act... it is not like some enemies will suddenly jump out of a corner of the screen and kill you in one go, like it happens in FPS games. Personally, I think the FOV was just fine. A little bit smallish, perhaps, but it definitely did not bother me a lot. Nor has it ever in any other game, for that matter...

Anyway, regarding the length of the game: I can pretty much confirm the ca. 25-30 hours from my very first playthrough, in which I also completed almost all the sidequests (of one variant of the story, obviously) as far as I can tell - the game definitely is much shorter than Witcher 1. In my opinion, Witcher 2 compensates for that with a more intense and concise gameplay and storytelling, though. And given that a large part of the game is influenced by you choosing sides in a conflict, you can easily play the game twice without too much repetition.

Its not the narrow field of (horizontal) vision but the horrible dizziness resulted from it that drives me away from the game. Higher FoV produces less realistic screenshots, but help people like me greatly (and mind you, there are quite a few out there complaining about narrowish FoV). Its a more specified version of dizziness playing FPS games in general. On games allowing FOV changing (BFBC2), I do just fine. Too bad, more and more games choosing 65 FOV nowadays thus I pretty much confine myself in strategy genre

So you start to feel dizzy if a game that you play has a relatively restricted FOV? I have honestly never heard of something like that before...
    You might consider changing the distance between you and the screen - that might help, perhaps.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; May 31, 2011 at 06:59 AM.

how to activate the quests found at the announcement boards?I take the paper but it doesnt start

The game was AWESOME.

Altough the combat was rather... weird.

At the start of the game, when I was new and inexperienced, an enemy could take away 80% of my HP bar in one hit on my back.

I even met a lot of enemies that could ONE SHOT me o.O

At the end of the game, when I was full of experience and knowledge of how to deal with the enemy, they scratched off a measle 10% to 20% HP for every hit to the back.
    Plus, with the Quen sign fully upgraded, I was virtually untouchable. Bosses and enemies could DIE just hitting me and I took no damage whatsoever.

When I got past the starter zones, I COMPLETELY stopped dying. At closest I got to 20% HP once.

Left me wondering, wasn't the game supposed to get HARDER as you progressed and got more experience? To me, as I progressed later, the game got easier!

It feels so weird to have all the hardest encounters at first...
    Last edited by SinerAthin; June 03, 2011 at 02:58 PM.
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Well without Quen at least it does get fairly hard at certain points.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    Well without Quen at least it does get fairly hard at certain points.
    Never complained about Quen, I only complained that the stages of difficulty were a bit missplaced in the game
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Corvis's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    I also thought the voice acting was good but some of the worst VA was actually from Geralt, who has the most lines in the game. I guess they are kind of stuck with that voice even though they have a much bigger budget now.
    I only played up to the beginning of chapter 1, but his voice acting is marginally better than Geralt in the first game. But I was playing it through again, but this time in polish voice-overs. Even though I can't understand a word they're saying, Geralt's VA actually sounds more indifferent and less bored like the English one does. And occasionally has a burst of emotion showing when he's being sarcastic, angry, etc. I wonder if this is the case with the sequel too, since they probably had better direction for the actors in Poland instead of hiring a third-party to fill in the English localizations.

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Solid review +rep

My two cents:

1) Even though this one is much shorter than the original I found that 30 odd hours wasn't that much of a letdown, it felt like the appropriate amount of time given the story and series of events taking place.

2) Combat was a little awkward at times and the near-ghostly tutorial didn't help the process of getting used to it or any part of the game for that matter (which is kind of a big deal since most things have dramatically changed from the original to the sequel)

3) The Prelude and Chapter One progressed excellently and flowed like a well written story but I found Chapter Two (at the military camp, i.e. Roche's path) and Chapter Three to both be let downs. Roche's Chapter Two didn't need to be as long as it was and it also could've used some cleaning up in terms of the story/events (too many things happening at once). Chapter Three on the other hand could've fit into a cutscene, it was as if CD Projekt said "ok...let's wrap this up quick".

4) I agree that the inventory system was a little whacked out. I also was not a fan of pre-battle potions.

5) Despite how great this game was there were a few annoying little things about it - here are some examples:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- I bought a diagram for a sword with something like 23 - 28 attack damage. I gathered up the things I needed to make it and went to the blacksmith. I forged it and out came a 17 - 20 weapon - wtf?!
    - It was a real pain in Chapter Three when you come across that guy who will make that armor for you....however you need random monster bits from enemies in past Chapters (which you wont find in Chapter Three and can't buy anywhere). I had managed to retain everything except some damn Nekkar Blood! Ugh!
    - At the end of Roche's Chapter Two during the quest where you meet Saskia and the dwarf in the tunnels - you fight your way all the way down there to meet them, talk to them, finish the quest, etc. Then you have to leave. Instead of letting you go out the door in front of you that leads back to the surface (despite picking up a key off a dead dwarf) you have to backtrack all the way through the tunnel system again for 5 minutes to get out.
    - Apparently sleeping with every single woman you can (whores and Ves) has no effect on your relationship with Triss despite the fact you can tell her you love her and want/need only her
    - A few quests could've used a tad more direction. It took me forever to find those Nekkar tunnels in Chapter One and those sets of gargoyles in Chapter Three.
    - It would've been nice to have been able to carry more weight (or purchased/upgraded something to do so). I was always bouncing back and forth between 230 - 250 the ENTIRE GAME....it got really annoying sometimes
    - I only found out after the fact during the Epilogue thanks to a glossary update that Saskia was the dragon when were they going to tell me?

Overall it's still a great game though despite some of my dislikes about it.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

{GODS}Scipio_Africanus's Avatar Ordinarius
    IN MOUNT OLYMPUS, heaven, hades and valhalla.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Good review for your first try, more you will do, the better you will become. One thing that bothers me about your review: The fact that it took you between 25-30 hours, if this is true this game ain't as long as it's predecessor. Just that could make me not buy the game. I will wait and see if other players will add their thoughts.
    The game may be short but it is AMAZING. And you can play through it at least two more times with totally different choices. I remember talking with a friend of mine who was playing the game at the same time. We had no idea wtf eachother was talking about because we had chosen totally different stories, his enemies were my friends. This was true for a large part of the game and I felt that i could play this game one more time and still have fun doing so.
    Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Great game...kinda on the short side but overall gets a 9/10 in my book.
    Gets my vote for RPG of the year the only contender i see on the horizon is Skyrim

I love it.

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

I was stood in ASDA (UK's version of Wal-Mart) today looking at this and decided that when I'm flush again after pay day that I might indulge in a Steam copy. The plot and re-play elements of it astonish me.

Quote Originally Posted by esaciar View Post
    I was stood in ASDA (UK's version of Wal-Mart) today looking at this and decided that when I'm flush again after pay day that I might indulge in a Steam copy. The plot and re-play elements of it astonish me.
    Do yourself a favor and get the retail/boxed copy of game. There have been problems with steam patching the game as it often downloads the whole game again along with the patches. Plus youll get some in box goodies with the retail version.

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get the retail/boxed copy of game. There have been problems with steam patching the game as it often downloads the whole game again along with the patches. Plus youll get some in box goodies with the retail version.
    Cheers for the heads up...plus I'll get that new plastic smell you get when you take off the wrapper...

No?

Just me...?

Okay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast