Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Examples of History rewritten

debux's Avatar Senator

Default Examples of History rewritten

Good day, folks.

I'm writing an essay about how even with the problems of partiality and selection in history (like subjectivity of the author, how much he decides to leave out in his account of history, etc.) it is possible to acquire knowledge (of history). However, I got stuck where I wanted to give examples of where history has been forced to be rewritten, because of newer discoveries have contradicted what before was assumed as to be true. So far I only have one example, the discovery of America, giving a solid argument to the idea of the earth being round. Can you guys think of any other good examples?

Thanks in advance, any kind of good contributions are useful!
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Ancient Aliens's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Examples of History rewritten

There are two important issues that come to my mind when you mentioned the revision of history.

First, the biases of historians (and a lack of competitive sources regarding ancient historians):

http://hubpages.com/hub/Bias_In_Reporting_History

Second, the First Council of Nicaea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea
    Last edited by Ancient Aliens; May 29, 2011 at 03:36 PM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes..._controversies

the far-right elements in Japan have been trying to whitewash Imperial Japanese Army's war crimes in ww2 for awhile now.
    Have a question about China? Get your answer here.

debux's Avatar Senator

Thanks! I didn't expect to finish this part in my essay on the same day.

@Ancient Aliens, Although I'm not so sure about what you mean with the First Council of Nicaea: you give it as an example because it standardized the christian belief, or what?
    Last edited by debux; May 29, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Well, philosophically speaking, history is only (at any given moment) the present interpretation of the past.

To be redundant about it, that is.

Ancient Aliens's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by debux View Post
    @Ancient Aliens, Although I'm not so sure about what you mean with the First Council of Nicaea: you give it as an example because it standardized the christian belief, or what?
    They removed many chapters and books from the Bible, and they removed, added, and changed the verbage of many of the chapters we have today. In effect, we will never know what the New Testament originally looked like because of their blatant disregard for history and their lack of qualms about rewritting it.

debux's Avatar Senator

Aha! Thanks a lot. I didn't read enough of the wiki article to see that.

Thanks to you all for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens View Post
    There are two important issues that come to my mind when you mentioned the revision of history.

First, the biases of historians (and a lack of competitive sources regarding ancient historians):

http://hubpages.com/hub/Bias_In_Reporting_History

Second, the First Council of Nicaea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea
    What did they rewrite concerning the 1st council of nicea?
    "Mors Certa, Hora Incerta."

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Carpathian Wolf View Post
    What did they rewrite concerning the 1st council of nicea?
    By trying to regulate Christianity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

debux's Avatar Senator

From what I understood, the Bible (or what would be the Bible), which would become a major source of information (and what would be the truth) for the Christian Church in the years to come, by choosing what accounts they considered to be the "true" ones, judging what interpretation would be the best of the original writings, etc.

The US was soundly beaten in the War of 1812, but they announced to their own people they won and no noe has really disputed the claim since.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    By trying to regulate Christianity?
    All the Christians simply came together and agreed upon what most Christians were already following. They also defined some terms.

Quote Originally Posted by debux View Post
    From what I understood, the Bible (or what would be the Bible), which would become a major source of information (and what would be the truth) for the Christian Church in the years to come, by choosing what accounts they considered to be the "true" ones, judging what interpretation would be the best of the original writings, etc.
    Well the true ones were the ones that were written within the life time of the Apostles. All those other "lost books of the bible" rubbish were things written hundreds of years later.

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge

Imperial's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Khassaki View Post
    The US was soundly beaten in the War of 1812, but they announced to their own people they won and no noe has really disputed the claim since.
    Well, they certainly didn't lose. That's not rewriting history. The invasion of modern day Canada may have not gone according to plan, but the annexing of that territory was not part of the reason why the war of 1812 started. The US government wanted Britain to stop funding the the Native Americans to the west, to stop Britain from enslaving American sailors, and to secure American sovereignty abroad. All of those goals were accomplished at the end of the war.
    Last edited by Imperial; May 29, 2011 at 09:06 PM.

Their Law's Avatar Protector Domesticus

All the Christians simply came together and agreed upon what most Christians were already following. They also defined some terms.
    Not really, considering one of the proclaimed agenda's of the council was to try and resolve the Arian and Meletian schisms in the religion. And ended up persecuting a sizeable Christian sect in the process.

Well the true ones were the ones that were written within the life time of the Apostles. All those other "lost books of the bible" rubbish were things written hundreds of years later.
    "True" is a relative thing, however in the context of a historian these missing books give a valuable insight into what some Christians might of believed before being edited out of the faith so to speak.

Whilst i don't ascribe the Nicaea council a sinister motive when they tried to standardise their faith, there is no denying that their actions removed some of the source material of the Christian faith from public view. Which has had repercussions, in terms of historical research.
    "You have a decent ear for notes
    but you can't yet appreciate harmony."

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Khassaki View Post
    What? The US doesn't say this at all. The mention the war but never say the US won it. If anything anyway the War of 1812 was a draw.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Their Law View Post
    Not really, considering one of the proclaimed agenda's of the council was to try and resolve the Arian and Meletian schisms in the religion. And ended up persecuting a sizeable Christian sect in the process.
    The proclaimed agenda was to find the nature of Christ. Is he fully God, fully Man or fully both.

"True" is a relative thing,
    No hippy bs please.

however in the context of a historian these missing books give a valuable insight into what some Christians might of believed before being edited out of the faith so to speak.
    Gives us insight on what some people wrote later on.

Whilst i don't ascribe the Nicaea council a sinister motive when they tried to standardise their faith, there is no denying that their actions removed some of the source material of the Christian faith from public view. Which has had repercussions, in terms of historical research.
    What was it removed from? Which book was removed from what?

Imperial's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    What? The US doesn't say this at all. The mention the war but never say the US won it. If anything anyway the War of 1812 was a draw.
    No draw, both sides got what they wanted. Therefore they both win. However, the Native Americans are the ones that lost big time. Once the British stopped supporting them, the colonists began the long journey of wiping out their civilization one by one.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    No draw, both sides got what they wanted. Therefore they both win. However, the Native Americans are the ones that lost big time. Once the British stopped supporting them, the colonists began the long journey of wiping out their civilization one by one.
    I was saying a draw because no land was lsot ceded to either side and such.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    I was saying a draw because no land was lsot ceded to either side and such.
    Draw because each reached their objective in a large sense. But on a military basis the Americans got beat badly. Britain then got bored and focused on Napoleon.

Civitate

Draw because each reached their objective in a large sense. But on a military basis the Americans got beat badly. Britain then got bored and focused on Napoleon.
    We did, but they did also. They burnt our un-finished capital, we burnt Toronto. The US dealt them a serious defeat at the Battle of New Orleanes, but technically that battle took place after the war. I am not to well knowledged on the War of 1812 however. I am not sure of the major battles the British managed to defeat the US in.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast