View Poll Results: What is "your" Faction in THS, and Why?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rome

2 6.90%
  • Epirus

2 6.90%
  • Antigonids

2 6.90%
  • Macedon

1 3.45%
  • Egypt

2 6.90%
  • Seleucids

1 3.45%
  • Carthage

3 10.34%
  • Atropene

1 3.45%
  • Pontus

1 3.45%
  • Gauls/Celts

1 3.45%
  • Germania

1 3.45%
  • Britons (may change to Boii)

1 3.45%
  • Armenia

0 0%
  • Illyrians

2 6.90%
  • Greek Alliance

3 10.34%
  • Massilia

3 10.34%
  • Scythians

2 6.90%
  • Iberia

0 0%
  • Thrace

1 3.45%
  • The Final Faction (TBD)

0 0%

Thread: Your Faction?

Default Your Faction?

What is your Faction in THS. and tell us Why.

This is to get a sense of people's preferences and play styles. If you're honest about this, it may end up improving THS for you.

Remember, try to focus on immersion, play style, personal interest, unit roster, difficulty/challenge level, and fun level

but if you have more to say about historical reasons and other gameplay, go ahead.
    Last edited by Aleksander the Average; May 04, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
    . .

Default Re: Your Faction?

First vote!

I would have gone with the Seleucids, but everyone will.

So I voted Carthage. The roster is very powerful and diverse. When under the control of a player that knows how to utilise such a diverse roster effectively, you can literally beat anyone with them. They have the troops, the starting position and the money to beat anyone.

Cesarz's Avatar Miles

I'm a Roman fan because... Romans are cool. I love the starting position, two somewhat hostile neighbors to your south, rebels all around, it's just great. And it's not too easy but there isn't much change to the faction roster.
    "Never trust a quote you find on the internet" - Niccolò Machiavelli

Laetus

Cant vote, but I love Atropene. Even though they are surrounded the missile cavalry is killer. Once I get the settlements growing we are invincible with the persian cavalry.
    Last edited by HoodedFigure; May 05, 2011 at 03:57 PM.

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

I indoubtly had a good time with Massilia, but my faction is always pontus! I love their position on the map and their troops, half eastern, half hellenic!

Sabazios's Avatar Semisalis

massalia for me

Achea's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Sabazios View Post
    massalia for me
    Me as well. A mix of Barbarian and Hellenized units is terrific.

L0N3W07F's Avatar Libertus

Complicated question for me. I like the Antigonids for their history and vision--I think they ought to have won--and I always wanted to find a mod that would allow me to play them. I picked them for those reasons, and I'll stick with it, but the question asks about play-style and unit rosters, etc., and those categories alone would produce a very different answer.

In regard to play-style, I would like to start smaller, especially in the geographic area of Macedonia, western Asia Minor, or Peloponnesian Greece and be the "underdog" at the start, so I would prefer to be the Antipatrid Macedonians or perhaps the Epirots or the Hellenic League in that regard--or perhaps a different era, such as ca. 321 when Antigonos only controlled part of Asia Minor.

As to the unit rosters, I would have to say that I feel as though the Antigonids are just a strip-down version of several other factions (in spite of the added artillery, which is nice). The main thing I miss is the "medium cavalry"--Light Lancers and Greek Cavalry just can't replace Macedonian Cavalry for me. I also wish there was another unit to guard the flanks of my pikemen in the time before the Thorakitai finally become available--either some form of native spearmen (I know Antigonos had plenty of those at Paraitakene and Gabiene), a barbarian unit, or just heavy peltasts (which I think he had on many occasions). The fact that Eastern Mercenaries and Mercenary Peltasts can fill these roles works for me on moderate difficulty levels, but I think they would run out too quickly on Very Hard. I don't mean that I necessarily want these things changed; I can see how this would seem reasonable given your goals for the mod. But if my faction choice were based on unit roster alone, that would sway it, and with all of this in view, I think that Epirus, Antipatrid Macedonia, and the Seleucid Empire would be my top choices in this regard.

Hope that helps!

korsakoff's Avatar Tiro

My favourite faction has to be Epirus. I just love fighting rome in large scale battles at the very start of my campaign taking over greece is also fun.

Massilia .... its cool to have small peacefull faction at the begining and improve it ... then i like 2 expand at iberia north africa south france ... as for style i rly focus on the factioin itself more than the military aspect so if we compare my style 2 the auto manage of setllements i will b cultural\financial ... btw wat was every1's highest record for the money u saved ? ( without cheats or moddin of course )

Quote Originally Posted by iMPERiO View Post
    Massilia .... its cool to have small peacefull faction at the begining and improve it ... then i like 2 expand at iberia north africa south france ... as for style i rly focus on the factioin itself more than the military aspect so if we compare my style 2 the auto manage of setllements i will b cultural\financial ... btw wat was every1's highest record for the money u saved ? ( without cheats or moddin of course )
    What is this "saving money" jargon?

I spend it all on armies.

I still stand by my initial choice, Carthage is an awesome campaign (too bad about health, but meh). Such a diverse faction, with an answer to anything. Great starting position too.

I'll also say to everyone; Try the Thracian campaign. Brilliant fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollyon View Post
    What is this "saving money" jargon?

I spend it all on armies.

I still stand by my initial choice, Carthage is an awesome campaign (too bad about health, but meh). Such a diverse faction, with an answer to anything. Great starting position too.

I'll also say to everyone; Try the Thracian campaign. Brilliant fun.
    yup thrace is amazing ... jargon ? ... lol ... money is the best thing rly ... or thats wat i like ... i always bribe armies , cities & rebels ... money solves many many things so quickly ... anywayz after all that relies on how u play and wat u like most ... but again wat was ur highest money D:

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

What is the "The Final Faction (TBD)"???
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Achea's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    What is the "The Final Faction (TBD)"???
    That is in reference to the final faction that will be occupying the final faction slot.

The Greek alliance. A small power with most of its territory right on the border with the extremely expansionist Antigonid empire, but once you get through a few dozen turns and start being able to train your elite troops, its one of the most rewarding experiences

Please rep me for my posts, not for the fact that i have a Pony as an Avatar.