Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Social classes

Default Social classes

What are your thoughts on social classes or social castes?

In America do you think there are actually poor people or just ghetto dwellers?

(disclaimer I understand there are those who are destitute, I'm talking about the many that aren't)

Ancient Aliens's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Social classes

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    What are your thoughts on social classes or social castes?

In America do you think there are actually poor people or just ghetto dwellers?

(disclaimer I understand there are those who are destitute, I'm talking about the many that aren't)
    I believe that social castes are manifestations of defunct human instinct. They derive from the human need to categorize and the hormones that distinguish alphas from regular tribal members. With regards to modern times, I think they are unproductive, limit creativity, weaken competition and the ability for advancement.

Social classes are representative of our aristocratical principals and the familiar extension of wealth. If heirs were to recieve no money at all, there would be a much larger middle class bracket.

In the United States there are poor people (lower class people), and there are 'ghetto dwellers'. 'Ghetto dwellers', or welfare recipients, fall into their own distinct social category as they do not work for their social position.

As far as poor people, there are people who work hard and legitimately cannot afford to put food on the table every night, and struggle to keep their utilities on. I for one have been one of these people. It is restricting, and it turns life into a struggle for survival. Advancement is hard when you are stuck in such a rut, as I had found myself unable to further my education. I would say that I am a thoughtful, intelligent person, and I do not have any mental handicaps or disabilities; my position was simply preordained by my lack of resources at birth. If the United States was a pure meritocracy I would have had my IQ tested and be placed into a training facility at birth, but it obviously isn't that way.

However (and this is the wonderful thing about living in the modern era in a capitalistic, entrepreneurial society), I was able to advance and prove my worth and I am now out of the lower class bracket. There are most definately lower class people, but there is also most definately a way to advance.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

Too big of a subject to actually make some judgments and arguments without actually starting to define it.

Classes are the product of social conditions, they are external to individuals(though subjected to the actions of them, therefore classes are like ''systems'' that try to impose a certain behavior to the individual to allow for their continued existence) and have their own ever-changing and non-mechanical dynamic.

Yes, there are social classes and those do not arise of Individual Aggregates but of wholes that acquire distinct natures(and work as ''set of rules and regulations'' on the individuals minds).
    Last edited by Claudius Gothicus; May 28, 2011 at 05:38 PM.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

However (and this is the wonderful thing about living in the modern era in a capitalistic, entrepreneurial society), I was able to advance and prove my worth and I am now out of the lower class bracket.
    Oh stop being so humble... we know you're the author of Legendary Times!

There have always been and will be social classes and social castes whether we admit it or not.
    The following does not go for the all poor people but for most of them cuz there are exceptions.
    Poor people are poor because they are poor in their thinking.I don`t blame rich people for being rich cause they have simply more skills to make money.
    Giving money to poor people is not the solution cause in my own experience i can tell that more money don`t work for them.
    Most of people like money ,but the problem with poor and mid-class is that they do not want to invest time to learn how to make more money or where to invest ,how to protect assests.
    They simply just wait someone else to do it for them or someone else to tell them what to do,where to invest and so on....

I stop this post now cuz frustration is taking over

Oh stop being so humble... we know you're the author of Legendary Times!

I do agree 'poor' is a state of mind, though a little money doesn't hurt especially if it is earned. Now of course that's my own thought.

There's nothing wrong with social classes. We like to associate with people similar to ourselves. Intelligent people like other intelligent people, professionals like other professionals, people interested in politics like to associate with others interested in politics.

And how intelligent, funny and attractive you are strongly influences how much you earn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens View Post
    If the United States was a pure meritocracy I would have had my IQ tested and be placed into a training facility at birth, but it obviously isn't that way.
    Not only can IQ change, it never stops changing throughout your life. For example if a young student were to take an IQ test during term they would do better than during the holidays. If they spend their holidays playing computer games or sports they would be better at the spatial parts of the test.

The most important determinant in how successful someone will be is how strong their willpower is. There is really nothing they can't do or change with strong enough willpower. Studies have shown that children who are better at rejecting something now for something better later tend to be more successful and happier in life.
    Last edited by removeduser_4536284751384; May 28, 2011 at 06:44 PM.

How do you feel about cross class interaction and superiority/inferiority?

Not only can IQ change, it never stops changing throughout your life. For example if a young student were to take an IQ test during term they would do better than during the holidays. If they spend their holidays playing computer games or sports they would be better at the spatial parts of the test.

The most important determinant in how successful someone will be is how strong their willpower is. There is really nothing they can't do or change with strong enough willpower. Studies have shown that children who are better at rejecting something now for something better later tend to be more successful and happier in life

Yeah I was being incredibly general with that example

I too believe that there are many more important factors other than IQ, and I am aware of the fact that IQ is malleable.

Don't forgot that social class changes with age for some people, others with income and others through expression of their natural talents.

Social classes is something that has always existed and will always exist, since not everyone can be successful and there will always be different classes in society even though naive utopian communists never will accept it since a society where everyone is equal doesn't work.
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

That's more of a political belief, than a philosophical one. You can certainly discuss the merits of treating people with equality. Though equality doesn't really mean the same thing for politics as it does for face to face interaction.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

If there is force - there is a class? If there is no force, there are just people?

@OP
    Please let's define what makes people into a certian class.
    I do agree 'poor' is a state of mind, though a little money doesn't hurt especially if it is earned.
    What if it's not earned - Does money alone help? Like giving your friend a prostitute, in order to find love.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; May 30, 2011 at 10:22 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Ultimately it is about education and access. In this day and age class merely describes cultural commonalities, income brackets and education levels but there is so much breaking that beyond it being anything but a broad occasionally gross generalisation it is an almost useless phrase.

Go back 200 years and classes were distinct and defined with little in the way of examples that break the mold and it became more important. This is why I have a beef with marxists always drawing everything back to class.

Caste and class are necessary outcomes of the perpetual face of human inequality. Their existence is natural, their purpose as clear as day. What matters is their essence: how, and to what purpose, they should exist?

It is true, though, that the current model of social classes, based merely on income differences, is the most defective and ridiculous one.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Quote Originally Posted by Jean de la Valette View Post
    Caste and class are necessary outcomes of the perpetual face of human inequality. Their existence is natural, their purpose as clear as day. What matters is their essence: how, and to what purpose, they should exist?

It is true, though, that the current model of social classes, based merely on income differences, is the most defective and ridiculous one.
    It is the only possible one it can be though because what else is there? You can be highly educated and poor, you can be dumb and poor or dumb and rich, interests promulgate despite income status not because of it. The internet being one of the great levellers.

It is a complicated mess and that tends to be where I leave it!

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    Ultimately it is about education and access. In this day and age class merely describes cultural commonalities, income brackets and education levels but there is so much breaking that beyond it being anything but a broad occasionally gross generalisation it is an almost useless phrase.

Go back 200 years and classes were distinct and defined with little in the way of examples that break the mold and it became more important. This is why I have a beef with marxists always drawing everything back to class.
    The magic about social classes(and every other social subject for that matter) is that once Social Scientist start operating over them they start changing and reformulating themselves. That's why Marxism failed to explain reality on a coherent scale, because classes are not inherently inert things they are at a constant change and the operations made by social scientist influence them.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    The magic about social classes(and every other social subject for that matter) is that once Social Scientist start operating over them they start changing and reformulating themselves. That's why Marxism failed to explain reality on a coherent scale, because classes are not inherently inert things they are at a constant change and the operations made by social scientist influence them.
    So does that mean a lot of social science is as bollocks as I've always suspected it to be

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    So does that mean a lot of social science is as bollocks as I've always suspected it to be
    Well... maybe. Its just that a theroy that aims at cristallizing reality on a '' A vs B'' basis is sooner or later stopping to be a theory and start becoming fairy tale.
    Last edited by Claudius Gothicus; May 30, 2011 at 08:06 PM.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast