Thread: Keeping land

Skep's Avatar Civis

Default Keeping land

My bad if this has been attended before.

When playing with the vikings, every time I conquer land they rebel. Building shrines to convert the populace doesn't seem to help. Even with full stacks they rebel.

Even worse, when they rebel they become a factions territory like Irish, Wessex or Scottish.

More then anything I have expanded other kingdoms.

How do you counter this?

Default Re: Keeping land

Exterminate. As a Viking, that'll actually give you an additional PO boost IIRC.

Do not convert provinces to paganism. There's few to no benefits in the long run. Some of your characters will end up christian eventually, and until that happens, you just keep them out of your christian regions as much as possible. Your family members are much better off fighting in enemy territory than trying to play governor.

For production centers, i.e. places where you need a large population, look to the settlements that can build both christian and pagan shrines, so you'll get a nice 20% law boost within one turn, and won't have to exterminate. York and most of the Danelaw fall into this category, as do a few towns in the northeast of Ireland.

If you really want a high-lvl pagan city as the Norwegians to get berserkers, just build up Dublin through cheap mercs and other troops. Berserkers are mostly a gimmick though, and much more useful for their "frighten infantry" attribute than their actual fighting prowess. And you can get "frighten infantry" on mercenary sons of death and jomsvikings just as easily, and with a much more versatile unit to boot.

Converting to your own religion should be done only after you have established a good deal of public order in the settlement. And when you do it, it's better to do it swiftly, with as many characters in the region as possible.

EDIT: Or see above.
    Last edited by Aradan; May 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM.

Skep's Avatar Civis

thx, dont convert but endure

Ah! That's good to know for next time I play as the Vikings... I'm just nearing the end of my first campaign as Norway and it took absolutely ages to get out of the loop of take a city, get kicked out after two turns then take it again. By the time I started to get Christian generals, they were a nuisance though and I just sent them on suicide missions hoping they'd be replaced by a Pagan...

If you want different options for conversion, take a look here, you'll find options to either disable them or make their start more predictable/controllable.

when ur troops are in a settlement or castle u mean?

i ALLWAYS and i mean literally ALLWAYS !! exterminate the populace i have never not in any mod or in any total war vanilla game ever tried the other options if u exterminate u cant go wrong

u need to assert dominance