Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: TROM3 - Feedback and Suggestions

Default Re: TROM3 - Feedback and Suggestions

Is it possible to give all matchlocks units (including pike and shot ashi) back their fire by rank ability?

Also, while pike and shot ashi are in square formation, they don't seem to fire if enemies are within 20ft of them. Is this intentional or a bug?

Horgo Splendis's Avatar Libertus

Once again Yarkis and team, a hats off.

Been playing Trom for quite some time, I enjoy the more methodical approach. I had also tried "Shogun2Realism+" by DaVinci and enjoyed a few aspects he had added, namely the increased armor values that made the battles last a bit longer. It gave you time to zoom in and watch the fight. I also liked the new names, I have no idea what they mean... but I like to learn all I can about the military in the era I am playing. Any chance in looking into what he did with the units to slow the melee down?
    Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they must say something. Plato

would it be possible to add a few more christian faction specific units? like perhaps a christian matchlock unit..

or having aquebushiers? love the way the mod is playing atm for me. great that am not facing spammed armies of all katanas etc...the a.i is attacking with good units but as am defending with upgraded bow sam and teppos etc they are getting a good pasting..

although thats not to say i havent lost a few provinces because they are undefended...

p.s i dont see the black ship available...that would be a nice bouns for turning christian.

I've noticed my Nagae-Yari Ashigaru fighting with their swords. Consequently, this leads to them being slaughtered. Is this a bug exclusive to me? I have .75, and regular Yari Ashigaru seem to be fine.

Hello,

Quick suggestion: Is it possible to give back (or enable) the bamboo wall, screens, stakes back into the game to some of the appropriate units? I cant seem to have the chance to deploy this and nor do i see the AI ever use this with the exception of the training missions...Also ability to take over buildings and/or checkpoints in the battlefields for added advantage (like the tutorial mission)

Seems like a wasted feature that can be put back easily. Will give more dynamic feeling to the battle. Is it possible to do this?

Is it possible to have the larger keeps in siege battles garrisonable?

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialGuy View Post
    Is it possible to give all matchlocks units (including pike and shot ashi) back their fire by rank ability?
    If all ranks could shoot it wouldn't be a pike & shot unit.

Also, while pike and shot ashi are in square formation, they don't seem to fire if enemies are within 20ft of them. Is this intentional or a bug?
    If it is so then it is hardcoded.

Quote Originally Posted by Horgo Splendis View Post
    Once again Yarkis and team, a hats off.

Been playing Trom for quite some time, I enjoy the more methodical approach. I had also tried "Shogun2Realism+" by DaVinci and enjoyed a few aspects he had added, namely the increased armor values that made the battles last a bit longer. It gave you time to zoom in and watch the fight. I also liked the new names, I have no idea what they mean... but I like to learn all I can about the military in the era I am playing. Any chance in looking into what he did with the units to slow the melee down?
    Most units will have +1 armor in the next version. But I don't want too much drawn out fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    would it be possible to add a few more christian faction specific units? like perhaps a christian matchlock unit..

or having aquebushiers? love the way the mod is playing atm for me. great that am not facing spammed armies of all katanas etc...the a.i is attacking with good units but as am defending with upgraded bow sam and teppos etc they are getting a good pasting..

although thats not to say i havent lost a few provinces because they are undefended...

p.s i dont see the black ship available...that would be a nice bouns for turning christian.
    Hm, I don't see why a different faith should make soldiers so different that we would have to create new units.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanbry View Post
    I've noticed my Nagae-Yari Ashigaru fighting with their swords. Consequently, this leads to them being slaughtered. Is this a bug exclusive to me? I have .75, and regular Yari Ashigaru seem to be fine.
    No bug. The short spears can be used well in close combat, the pike not.

Quote Originally Posted by peank View Post
    Hello,

Quick suggestion: Is it possible to give back (or enable) the bamboo wall, screens, stakes back into the game to some of the appropriate units? I cant seem to have the chance to deploy this and nor do i see the AI ever use this with the exception of the training missions...Also ability to take over buildings and/or checkpoints in the battlefields for added advantage (like the tutorial mission)

Seems like a wasted feature that can be put back easily. Will give more dynamic feeling to the battle. Is it possible to do this?
    The AI will never use them. The player can use shields and bamboo screens in defensive battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltflak View Post
    Is it possible to have the larger keeps in siege battles garrisonable?
    What do you mean? Put men into the buildings? Then no.

The more and more I read through Tokugawa Ieyasu's history, the more I think that the Tokugawa clan should get matchlock units with better stats, maybe even unique gun units because they always seem to be the forefront of his strategy, and he used them in mass first. Maybe at the very least their starting area should be able to recruit matchlock units off the bat? That and prehaps a higher cap limit to all gun samurai for the Tokugawa.

Because in many of the famous battles it often went like this, Ieyasu had guns, his enemies did not. In fact, Ieyasu has relied on guns so much, that his army was annihilated by a Takada calvary charge, and he only just escaped with 4 other survivors.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mikatagahara

Or when the tables were turned and Ieyasu fought back using guns again against calvary. (but using wet ground and a bamboo screen) [Also, since in this case Ieyasu was coming to the aid of a siege, yet was able to deploy a bamboo screen, shouldn't gun units then be able to deploy them whenever they attack or defend?]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nagashino

P.S. I finally unlocked the camera...I just had to reinstall the damn thing, the only problem now is that Ikko Ikki campaign has disappeared under New Games, but I was able to upload a save file to contine my Ikko Ikki campaign, so I'm good for now.
    Last edited by Edax; June 19, 2011 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltflak View Post
    The more and more I read through Tokugawa Ieyasu's history, the more I think that the Tokugawa clan should get matchlock units with better stats, maybe even unique gun units because they always seem to be the forefront of his strategy, and he used them in mass first. Maybe at the very least their starting area should be able to recruit matchlock units off the bat? That and prehaps a higher cap limit to all gun samurai for the Tokugawa.

Because in many of the famous battles it often went like this, Ieyasu had guns, his enemies did not. In fact, Ieyasu has relied on guns so much, that his army was annihilated by a Takada calvary charge, and he only just escaped with 4 other survivors.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mikatagahara

Or when the tables were turned and Ieyasu fought back using guns again against calvary. (but using wet ground and a bamboo screen) [Also, since in this case Ieyasu was coming to the aid of a siege, yet was able to deploy a bamboo screen, shouldn't gun units then be able to deploy them whenever they attack or defend?]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nagashino

P.S. I finally unlocked the camera...I just had to reinstall the damn thing, the only problem now is that Ikko Ikki campaign has disappeared under New Games, but I was able to upload a save file to contine my Ikko Ikki campaign, so I'm good for now.
    rememeber that Tokugawa leyasu is only 2 year old or something in the begining of the game and that battle is fought 1573 28 years after the start date so imo the shouldnt start with matchlock units.

Quote Originally Posted by Alair View Post
    rememeber that Tokugawa leyasu is only 2 year old or something in the begining of the game and that battle is fought 1573 28 years after the start date so imo the shouldnt start with matchlock units.
    I suppose that's true...but then again they were the first...so I don't know how that'd balance in the game.

More History Events possible? Please?

Is it possible we can also limit the numbers of ashigaru units we can recruit?

Maybe large province we can recruit more ashigarus, and more advance provinces can recruit better ones.

But all with limited numbers for each province, I think this may add more fun.

Just like when in history when Daimyu lost battle, they will lost territories and Koku (Man Power/Tax).

Or simply personally I dont like the idea of unlimited of something, that will lead to spam of units.

First off, a big thank you for taking the time to make the mod. Im really enjoying it. Second my points of suggestion for the mod. Below I quoted Ricebowl to get his question answered as it seems it covers one of my points and may have been passed over by a very busy Yarkis. Adding any additional events that tell me about the history of the era, whether they effect me doesnt matter. The more events going on makes it feel like there really is a lot going on around me outside of the moves and decisions I make.

Quote Originally Posted by ricebowl View Post
    To: Yarkis

Thank you for making TROM such a great game, such a enjoyment everyday, since Napolean...

Regarding TROM, is it possible to add in some historical strings?

That's the only thing I found disappointed even with the Shogun 2 OEM version.

I believe a lot of things happened this 100 years(recorded events..),

other than just war between states, pay tribute, and harvest.

Any thoughts?
    I want to second (or third) upping the recruitment slots for buildings a bit. Getting 1-2 unit every 2-3 years is incredibly slow early game and only seems to slow the human player on harder difficulties.

I for one would like to see firearms limited in the early game. I dont like seeing muskets on the battlefield within the first 10 years. Im not sure what the history is of mass use of firearms in Japan is, but I find it hard to believe they were of major use until the mid 1570's or later. I could be wrong here, but take a look and let me know what you think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_of_Japan

I have to say that every time I play a new campaign it seems different factions do well, which is nice. Some still have more trouble then others though, Shimazu being one of the first clans killed of 9 times out 10. Im not sure what can be done further, but seeing them around mid to late game would be interesting. Have yet to face them in any of my campaigns. Maybe a further faction bonus or unit bonus may help. Playing as them I find they have a hard time balancing there field army as well as a navy. Most factions have no need for a navy early, but it seems every campaign within the first 5 years I get a half stack or bigger of rebel naval vessels. If and when they blockaded my port, my income was cut from 1500 a turn to a negative immediately. Not many clans can handle that and fend off a heavily religious war to there north with the Shino or Otomo.

Make recruiting new generals cheaper if possible. Some clans need them bad and have no money to get to them when they do pop up.

Upkeep of most units, notably samurai, seem a bit high. They already have much higher recruitment costs. Doesnt seem they would need that much more to subsist in the field than a regular spear or bowmen. And in comparison to buildings profits a season dont match. One turn with a market is 200 koku, cost of one samurai a turn is 147 a season if Im not mistaken. Doesnt seem to me that the profits of one building are almost canceled out by a single unit. Especially since you only have a possible 5 buildings per province w/ the requisite castle and few money making buildings. Im not looking for major reductions but minor cut backs would make a huge difference.

Alright Im done for now. Sorry for the text wall and hope that Im clear in what Im talking about. Thanks again for your time and keep up the good work.

We plan to do more dilemmas and events with a historical background if possible. I guess we could also do pure historical evenst with no gameplay relevance other then a history lesson.

The arquebuse came to Japan in 1543 and was quickly adopted by some daimyo and the more flexible monk armies. But thats a question Obi Wan should answer. He is the history expert who always bombards me with new ideas.

I never had the impression that the AI is short of generals. And I don't think the AI pays anything for them.

The upkeep will be reworked eventually to be more consistent with the actual costs. But it is still easy to make money, so I don't see a need to make armies cheaper.

Thank you so much~ (regarding the history events)

It will add so much depth to the game.

Should we simply just copy and paste from wiki?

I will open a new thread where people can post suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis de Bodemloze View Post
    The aim of the mod is to randomize the survival rate and which factions dominate the game as much as possible. That's easier said then done because single observations are not enough and I can't run 100 games to see how each faction performes. Therefore I need feedback from as many people as possible to get a valid picture. There seems to be some consense about the new Ikko Ikki being too dominant. Indeed they have a good starting position with 2 provinces both with specialities. I won't change this but I will reduce their aggressiveness a bit by one notch. I wil also test what happens when I set every faction to a ower aggressiveness level to slow down the reckless AI expansion. However, keep in mind that slowing the AI may get the player a strong advantage in the middle and late game. We have to see how this works out.

I won't add new building lines because then I have the too-many-buildings-with-not-enough-slots problem again. But I can add a extra garrison building with 2 garrison units and +1 repression to the encampment building line. Thanks for the idea.

Trade: Land trade isn't limited, only sea trade is. I see no logical reason for that. Chosokabe has a serious disadvantage because of that since they can only have land trade with factions on their island (all trade has to go to the capital). So I am inclined to keep the changes to sea trade for the core mod. But I can release a submod where I revert these changes for people who like it different. Look into the soon to come official submod thread for it.

If somebody has an idea about an AOR units please post. The unit should be somewhat historical and you have to specify the province where the unit should be available. Typical AOR units would be from minor samurai clans or temples that are not in the game.
    If this is what I am thinking, its a brilliant idea. Having a garrisson upgrade based on a building would mean that you could choose to reeinforce that city at will and ofc, raze the building when its not needed anymore. I would be inclined for this building to either consume food or have an upkeep which would make the building a "tough" choice. One of the most annoying things I have seen with garrisons is that the AI DOES NOT take on consideration a "non-vanilla" garrison, so if you increase it too much you may see the AI basically "suicide" against a much larger force.

Loving the mod, but had a few more suggestions/thoughts.

Any thoughts on adding Swiss Haldbrieders Unit mod? With the unit caps as they are on samurai, I think having some different units of ashirgura would be great. Sword and naginata ashirgura to be exact. Not sure if those two units were used much throughout the time period we are playing in but I think they would be a welcome edition.

Increasing the movement points for ships and agents. Just seem logical that they would move further in 3 months then what is allotted. Im not saying they should be able to navigate all of japan in a turn. But a boost would be good in my opinion.

Thanks again for your time and feedback. Looking forward to the next installment of this challenging mod.

edit: I was also wondering if it is possible to increase the unit numbers in the way Darth has with his mod. Would a script edit make the change or is something more difficult to do? Thanks again for your time.
    Last edited by Americanus Supremus; July 06, 2011 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Americanus Supremus View Post

Any thoughts on adding Swiss Haldbrieders Unit mod? With the unit caps as they are on samurai, I think having some different units of ashirgura would be great. Sword and naginata ashirgura to be exact. Not sure if those two units were used much throughout the time period we are playing in but I think they would be a welcome edition.
    i thought the same, so i opened AUM per file manager, made all units exept katana/naginata ashigaru and yari/no dachi monk not recruitable, renamed the units to fit into the TROM-system and tried to balance their stats + give them other tech-preferences. the two new sohei got a unit limit of 1, the two ashigaru a limit of 3.

it works fine, but i need to ask for permission to upload anything (could be difficult, swiss doesnt seem to be here atm), and even with permission i just doesnt know how to upload anything. *g*

but i was thinking about balancing AUM for TROM (for my private use), but i dont have the time for doing this (thats why i only used the sohei + ashigaru units). and even with enough time - in TROM, there is a use for every single unit, with all units from AUM there will be a lot of units you just need when you cant recruit another unit because of its unit limitation (tachi samurai if you cant recruit more katana samurai for example), which works against the idea behind the unit limitations in TROM.

it is easy to get AUM-units into TROM, but its difficult and time-consuming to get AUM-units into TROM without breaking the overall balance (and if a new TROM-version uses other unit stats, you need to balance every single AUM-unit again ^^ )

if you want to modify AUM, use the darthmod-version because the vanilla-AUM-version seems to be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Americanus Supremus View Post
    Loving the mod, but had a few more suggestions/thoughts.

Increasing the movement points for ships and agents. Just seem logical that they would move further in 3 months then what is allotted. Im not saying they should be able to navigate all of japan in a turn. But a boost would be good in my opinion.

Thanks again for your time and feedback. Looking forward to the next installment of this challenging mod.

edit: I was also wondering if it is possible to increase the unit numbers in the way Darth has with his mod. Would a script edit make the change or is something more difficult to do? Thanks again for your time.
    Neither sword nor naginata ashigaru have any historical basis, so you won't see them in TROM3. Ships already have increased movement points and I don't see a need for agents having quicker movement. I have no plans to increase unit sizes because smaller forts are already too crowded and not everybody has a PC to run the game with bigger units. Just use the prefernece script multiplier if you want bigger sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantheme View Post
    i thought the same, so i opened AUM per file manager, made all units exept katana/naginata ashigaru and yari/no dachi/ monk not recruitable, renamed the units to fit into the TROM-system and tried to balance their stats + give them other tech-preferences. the two new sohei got a unit limit of 1, the two ashigaru a limit of 3.

it works fine, but i need to ask for permission to upload anything (could be difficult, swiss doesnt seem to be here atm), and even with permission i just doesnt know how to upload anything. *g*

but i was thinking about balancing AUM for TROM (for my private use), but i dont have the time for doing this (thats why i only used the sohei + ashigaru units). and even with enough time - in TROM, there is a use for every single unit, with all units from AUM there will be a lot of units you just need when you cant recruit another unit because of its unit limitation (tachi samurai if you cant recruit more katana samurai for example), which works against the idea behind the unit limitations in TROM.

it is easy to get AUM-units into TROM, but its difficult and time-consuming to get AUM-units into TROM without breaking the overall balance (and if a new TROM-version uses other unit stats, you need to balance every single AUM-unit again ^^ )

if you want to modify AUM, use the darthmod-version because the vanilla-AUM-version seems to be broken.
    The next version will have a number of stat changes as well as province specific samurai units (AOR units). Units caps will be changed accordingly.

I am in holidays, so the next version will not be out before the end of July.